Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM

36 posts, read 35,684 times

Advertisements

I probably should've posted this in the "Mental Health" forum. . .

Poverty as well as Opulence is not subject to race, creed, color, nationality, gender, etc... (RCCNGe)

These are amoral traits. Meaning they magnify the characteristics and personality of the individual.

I just don't understand people who think that because they're a certain RCCNGe they can't be successful...or they're destined to be impoverished. It's ALL in their head(mind)! I know wealthy people of many different RCCNGe. I know people that came up with very little and now live a lavish lifestyle. Sometimes struggle is by choice, and most of the time it's b/c no one is there to teach how to come out properly. Also, just b/c you're doing a little better, materialistically, than your relatives or kinfolk doesn't necessarily mean you've "made it." Even thinking like that is a sign of an impoverished and selfish mindset. I used to be one of those thinkers...

You must first realize where you are in life. . . Then, you find out where you desire to go in life. Now, you begin to set goals short, mid, AND long term goals. You must set short term goals, so when they are accomplished you can treat yourself while you're still on your journey. Mid term goals are the meat and usually the best times of your journey b/c it is at this point where it will look and even feel like you've made it, yet in reality and according to your plan you haven't. Once you reach these goals the hard part is over. . . You should DEFINITELY treat yourself at this stage. Now that the hard part is over obtaining the rest should be a breeze.

Comments, Questions, Feedback, Negativity, Positivity, Add-Ins, etc it's all welcomed. . . .

Oh, the MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember during your journey is be content at every stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
It has more to do with generational success or poverty, rather than the RCCNGe. It's easier for a person from a successful family to become successful than for a person from a family raised in poverty to overcome it and break out of that cycle. Not only is there no one to teach them, as you said, but they tend to follow the example of their parents and grandparents.
That applies to people of all kinds. Some people do consider their material possessions to be indicative of their success, but to me it's having savings in the bank and be well into the process of providing for your future retirement, starting as young as possible.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM

Hemlock140,

I agree. And yes your last statement is so true, but to many seems so far fetched. . .

Old 02-27-2014, 08:46 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
It's not 100% affected by people's mindset, and neither does a mindset have nothing to do with it. Mindset is a lever that helps, and can be a stick that prevents people from doing well. A mindset of insulting investors, or your boss, will certainly keep you out of consideration for good positions.

However, so will getting sick to the point you cannot work, being convicted of a crime, being unable to afford a good euducation, being unable to afford a car, or (if you open the net wide enough) being born in war torn or desperate nations. There's nothing like telling some one who has 4 seizures a day that they can't work because their mindset is all wrong...you are more likely to get punched in the face.

I can see from my own life.
- Two people I know cannot keep jobs from their mindsets of entitlement and laziness. One thinks she owns the company as a admin assistant, and tries to boss around everyone...eventually getting fired. The other worked at a car dealership and would wreck the cars they loaned him because he was too poor to afford his own.
- Even another just wants to snowboard and smoke pot, so that's all he does.

There are people on the other side.
- One person works dillegently 18 hours a day (7 days a week) to become a muscian for the last decade. She owns a small label and barely makes enough to eat nearly killing herself day in and day out.
- Another was charged with a crime (starting a riot, even though he was alone) for throwing a bottle in an empty parking lot as a cop drove by as a college student, got kicked out of school and no one would hire him afterwords. He didn't have enough money to challenge it. He was living in his car for a bit till his grandfather took pity on him to run his resturant (and has done great).
- Another was hit by some one who was driving without a license or insurance, crushing her shoulder, pelvis, and ribs. Her insurance paid enough to make sure she was okay and discharged from the hospital. However, her job decided they weren't going to keep her and that insurance went with it (this was 2006). She couldn't work and ran out her savings with rehab, losing her savings, home, and car. She can't get the same job because her credit sucks and she has been out of the industry for a bit...even if it was in commutable range by bus or bike.

Everybody's story is different, and assigning blame (or not) to people as a blanket one size fits all bucket is disingenuous at best. The discussion was just made about Dave Ramsey's habits (and I guess mindset) of the rich and how far off base it was as well...but this kind of blame is seen in The Secret and the prosperity gospel preachers.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
It's not 100% affected by people's mindset, and neither does a mindset have nothing to do with it. Mindset is a lever that helps, and can be a stick that prevents people from doing well. A mindset of insulting investors, or your boss, will certainly keep you out of consideration for good positions.

However, so will getting sick to the point you cannot work, being convicted of a crime, being unable to afford a good euducation, being unable to afford a car, or (if you open the net wide enough) being born in war torn or desperate nations. There's nothing like telling some one who has 4 seizures a day that they can't work because their mindset is all wrong...you are more likely to get punched in the face.

I can see from my own life.
- Two people I know cannot keep jobs from their mindsets of entitlement and laziness. One thinks she owns the company as a admin assistant, and tries to boss around everyone...eventually getting fired. The other worked at a car dealership and would wreck the cars they loaned him because he was too poor to afford his own.
- Even another just wants to snowboard and smoke pot, so that's all he does.

There are people on the other side.
- One person works dillegently 18 hours a day (7 days a week) to become a muscian for the last decade. She owns a small label and barely makes enough to eat nearly killing herself day in and day out.
- Another was charged with a crime (starting a riot, even though he was alone) for throwing a bottle in an empty parking lot as a cop drove by as a college student, got kicked out of school and no one would hire him afterwords. He didn't have enough money to challenge it. He was living in his car for a bit till his grandfather took pity on him to run his resturant (and has done great).
- Another was hit by some one who was driving without a license or insurance, crushing her shoulder, pelvis, and ribs. Her insurance paid enough to make sure she was okay and discharged from the hospital. However, her job decided they weren't going to keep her and that insurance went with it (this was 2006). She couldn't work and ran out her savings with rehab, losing her savings, home, and car. She can't get the same job because her credit sucks and she has been out of the industry for a bit...even if it was in commutable range by bus or bike.

Everybody's story is different, and assigning blame (or not) to people as a blanket one size fits all bucket is disingenuous at best. The discussion was just made about Dave Ramsey's habits (and I guess mindset) of the rich and how far off base it was as well...but this kind of blame is seen in The Secret and the prosperity gospel preachers.

Thank you for that vantage point! I Love that everyone doesn't view and think the same. Truly, thank you! I truly understand and agree.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Mindset plays a big role , but there is still discrimination based on race ,age ,etc . Likely will never go away .
Everyone gets discriminated at some point and there is reverse discrimination too.

The question is how does one handle it ?

OP, you mentioned doing " better materialistically" and I think that's an important point . I do think that's the result oftentimes of an impoverished mindset .

I listen to a lot of rap / hip hop .. But some of it is just awful . Some of it is great too .

When I hear someone bragging about some fancy car or whatever it just sounds materialistic. A lot of it is just bs and fictional too . The cars in the music videos are rented.

Its like ok you bought a fancy car or designer clothes ..how does that contribute to anyone .

It's the whole " I got mine , ********* mentality " even if they have money they aren't using it to benefit society ..unlike someone like bill gates .

Both the rappers and hedge fund managers are just making the rich richer.
The real ones that benefit are the record labels .

Old 02-27-2014, 10:15 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
OK I may be a bit slow but welfare has bred people to be this way.

Have you not seen the you tube welfare queens ?
I have known them personally since I was a kid the know the system and use it and abuse it just as far as thy can.
I mean lawyers are over looking a valuable asset with these professional learning all the ways to skip around the law .
There are folk that have lived this way and pushed the system as far as it will go ,and got in trouble and now on the out side .
there are many new folk that have lost their job and home an every thing because no work is available .
What do you move with when your last check was needed to buy a few groceries and a car payment .
Moving some where else to find work often times takes having a friend at that location 1 so you have some place to stay 2 so you have some sort of local reference. 3.to have some reference to where to get things .
I',ve moved a few times and been through it .
It's tough when your the stranger in a new town.
Small towns can be brutal.
I've worked for people as a single employee, up to billion dollar corporations.
I have also been dirt broke and living off the grid in the desert . I'm retired now on a fixed income .
Being poor some times is a matter of perspective of how to get out of it. Or wanting to get out of it .
I never took one dime of unemployment nor welfare , far as I am concerned those are a social trap of dependence on the government .
A decease that is rotting the nation.
I have received help from friends an churches ,and then again I do what I can to return the favor. There is some manor of honor here.
People having no honor, take the government money, believing it is the governments debt to them. Spend some time with these people I'm not lying .
Some of the homeless are not on government assistance in any way and prefer to be off the grid they have been abused by the system so much what's to trust ?
Ever taken a job and got paid far less than you expected , and the boss goes ,"fine there is some one behind you that will fill your spot."
You don't have the money for a lawyer, and the patience to face the issue in some battle, so you suffer with it, or move on.
One boss laid us all off because of a fire in the area 4 miles across a lake 7 miles long and 4 more miles in the woods and it was out in just a few days after they let us go .
I moved onto another job .
He had been begging me back ever since, because the people that he can find that do "some" of the work I did, are more expensive in so many ways.

There are good otherwise hard working people out there that are poor ,so to lump them altogether is not fair.
I know so many that went to collage to be an engineer, and turned out being landscapers and gardeners because most all the openings for engineering were filled .
I think schooling is done wrong to begin with .
After elementary school kids should have to go to work and pay for their schooling and learn what it is to work and what skills it takes to do certain jobs.
None of them have a work ethic unless they work under their parents and must perform honorably.
I worked with my dad in construction since the time I could lift bricks and mix concrete .
Good honest work builds ones self esteem , most people especially women lack self esteem not actually doing any thing hard for a living. Children playing with games have nothing when they are done and value them selves even less.
Games have their place but abusing a toy into boredom proves they are vegetating their capacity .
Parents are not allowed to have their children work . what kind of stupidity is this ?
Liberal. nanny state preparedness .

Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseman0 View Post
I just don't understand people who think that because they're a certain RCCNGe they can't be successful...or they're destined to be impoverished. It's ALL in their head(mind)!
I agree 100%.

The first step to being rich is to THINK you can be rich.

Once you do that, then you will start to take the necessary steps to get you there - even if it's a lifelong journey.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
OK I may be a bit slow but welfare has bred people to be this way.
Maybe, because comparing poor people that need help to animals is dehumanizing. Especially some one on, as you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I'm retired now on a fixed income
I am not sure where it comes from, but at that stage of life many people can be changes in payments, theft (family member or not), inflation, or damaging market conditions. You could very easily be one of those "animals" that need help in the future. I have known a few of my own relatives that ate some crow after making comments about the poor, and became in need of help due to factors largely outside their control.

I think it is entirely fair to take money paid into Social Security and Medicare over time, with a reasonable gain. I do hope that people who think it's immoral and dishonorable taking from the government more than they pay in keep track of how much they received versus what they get and stop as soon as they use it all.

So far every time I have made that suggestion no one has ever considered it.

Not that I am trying to be cruel, but I think people learn compassion by experiancing things through the eyes of others. I have witnessed where people don't think before they say or act when they make broad assumptions like this that harm others, and themselves, in the process.

I think the most dire was an older relative that wanted to get rid of social security and medicare because only moochers used it. Which was his only source of income and medical care. We simply asked what he would do for his living expenses, or if he had another stroke, and he got very quiet for a minute...and just walked away. He had worked his entire life in a decent, but not high paying, job and lost his decent pension after it was spent by executives (before 401(k)'s).

Last edited by EmeraldCityWanderer; 02-27-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 PM

296 posts, read 413,854 times
A fresh positive attitude does wonders for prosperity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics