Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,297,022 times

Advertisements

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...27_page4.shtml
According to a story on 60 minutes, 25% of American children are now being raised in poverty. That is the largest percentage since the great depression. How do you think that will effect the mindset of those children’s generation as they mature and become adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,558,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
According to a story on 60 minutes, 25% of American children are now being raised in poverty. That is the largest percentage since the great depression. How do you think that will effect the mindset of those children’s generation as they mature and become adults.
It depends on their parents to a degree.

First of all. Of those 25% of children NOW, how many will be out of the povertly line in their future?

What percentage of families move upwards in the economic ladders as they get promotions at work, get more experience in their trades or professions, etc.?

In the depression I venture to guess there was a much higher percentage of kids that were in dire conditions and they are now know as the greatest generation that got up from a depression and a war.

Lastly, the poverty line, is that an automatic situation where kids are really suffering? Poverty has been defined in som many ways and experts do debate what is poverty. When I go to the low income neighborhoods where I volunteer I see the houses of these kids with their latest iPod, and the latest DVD players and latest flat screen TVs, oh!, and also wearing the latest fashion clothing. I am not saying there are not bonafide poor out there. So to say all 25% of kids that fall in the lowest income bracket means that they are doomed can be incorrect. So to answer your question, it will vary with the children based on how many of them will go higher and how their parents teach them resiliency and will to go up the ladders, take care.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
Quote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...27_page4.shtml
Absolutely. There is no reason to get married because then you lose all that government aid.

So, you have a single mom with a low income getting subsidized houses, food and various other aid.

This is why at least 2 of my cousins have been in long-term relationships but not tied the knot.

Changing marital demographics is likely one of the biggest factors in this.

I know that's not the gist of the article, I'm referring to the statistic.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Consider the unemployment stats. Consider the forclosure stats. You may see kids with ipods and such who had them before things crashed but this does not mean they are not hurting now. Given this is a rising stat, my guess would be most of these children are children of those who are unemployed or forclesed or working part time. Many of *these* kids will feel a very strong impact because they will have gone from lots to little. It will give them a realistic sense of value, unless the parents blow it, but it will also give them the prespective of someone who has had all the expectations vanish. I had a huge crash in my life, and the most lasting thing which will never go away is that I will never trust in the future, and I will never expect things to not change. Once you learn that life can change in an instant, you never see it the same again.

So long as the economy doesn't keep sinking and these kids end up with nowhere up to go, it can also give a gift. Learning real value and need over the image our society presents is something which can reap benifits for a long time. I have learned that stuff is just that. I have toys but they are used and enjoyed. Learning to ask if I really want it, why do I want it and will I ever really use it has helped me through an income which will never be past poverty but doesn't stop me from enjoying life. I wish back when my dad lost his job and they almost lost the house instead of keeping it a secret, (I was 15) they had let me in on it and given me an appreciation of life as it really is. I probably would have done a lot better at it when the brick wall hit.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM

106,823 posts, read 109,073,990 times
let these parents who cant afford so many kids stop cranking them out without regard for who is going to support them. its just wrong to bring children up in those conditions. ultimatly the tax payer has to pay for them.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,029,836 times
While I have no doubt that many more families with children are strugling since the recession, I question whether 25% of all American kids are actually living a life of poverty as opposed to being the children of parents who's taxable income is currently below the arbitrary demarcation of poverty. Those are two different things.

If a family's 1040 return shows the household below the poverty benchmark but there is government and/or extended family assistance with food, housing, and/or medical care or other unreported income coming in it is possible the kids are having their basic needs met which would mean those children are not actually living a life of poverty. I wonder how many of those 25% fit that description.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,988,893 times
Quote:
Homeless children: the hard times generation - 60 Minutes - CBS News
Was this the CBS special last week on how many kids are homeless and living in motels with their families, in one or two rooms? I was tremendously impressed with the kids interviewed but I know that most are not faring so well mentally. They are doing poorly in schools. My heart goes out to them.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I know that's not the gist of the article, I'm referring to the statistic.
Poverty is poverty, people in it know who they are.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
let these parents who cant afford so many kids stop cranking them out without regard for who is going to support them. its just wrong to bring children up in those conditions. ultimatly the tax payer has to pay for them.
Huh? These were middle class families that lost their jobs. Jobs they had before and when they had kids. Has nothing to do with the number of kids, don't confuse your social issues. And these families had no intention of having you support them. BTW, you are paying big bucks to support tax evading government subsidized corporations, so what's the beef about paying a scrap of your income toward helping the poor. You probably loved the role of Javert in Les Mis.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
While I have no doubt that many more families with children are strugling since the recession, I question whether 25% of all American kids are actually living a life of poverty as opposed to being the children of parents who's taxable income is currently below the arbitrary demarcation of poverty. Those are two different things.

If a family's 1040 return shows the household below the poverty benchmark but there is government and/or extended family assistance with food, housing, and/or medical care or other unreported income coming in it is possible the kids are having their basic needs met which would mean those children are not actually living a life of poverty. I wonder how many of those 25% fit that description.
Okay let's make it 15%. Does that make it any better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics