Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:41 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times

Advertisements

The Cypriots with over 100,000 euros in a single account deserve to lose their money. I was very upset when I originally heard they were going to take 6.5% from everyone who had under 100,000 euros in their accounts as they are insured. However, anything over 100,000 is NOT insured. I was taught in elementary school and by my parents that you NEVER, EVER exceed the insured amount. If you have 1 million dollars, you put it in 10 banks, not one. This is why I do not feel sorry for this idiot below:

'I went to sleep Friday as a rich man. I woke up a poor man' | smh.com.au

These people are now crying foul play when it was really their own fault that they lost their money. They should be happy that they are not losing 100% of their uninsured funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The Cypriots with over 100,000 euros in a single account deserve to lose their money. I was very upset when I originally heard they were going to take 6.5% from everyone who had under 100,000 euros in their accounts as they are insured. However, anything over 100,000 is NOT insured. I was taught in elementary school and by my parents that you NEVER, EVER exceed the insured amount. If you have 1 million dollars, you put it in 10 banks, not one. This is why I do not feel sorry for this idiot below:

'I went to sleep Friday as a rich man. I woke up a poor man' | smh.com.au

These people are now crying foul play when it was really their own fault that they lost their money. They should be happy that they are not losing 100% of their uninsured funds.

they are thieves, robbing people-so it shouldn't even matter whether the victims have over 100,000 euros or not. if you think that theft doesn't trickle down to the working class, you aren't analyzing the entire situation.

what right did ANYONE have to steal their money?

Haravgi: Cypriot president’s relatives withdraw EUR 21 million from banks
31 March 2013 | 21:54 | FOCUS News Agency

A company owned by relatives of Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades has withdrawn tens of millions of euros from Laiki bank a few days before the Eurogroup decision, which resulted in the crisis, the Cypriot Haravgi daily reported.
According to the newspaper three days before the decision of the Eurogroup the company asked for the payment of securities worth EUR 21 million ahead of schedule and the money was transferred to London.

you don't congratulate a thief, and you don't encourage theft.

although I would suggest that it is a good idea to NOT keep money over the "protected"(is there truly such a thing?) limit in ANY country anymore, because there are truly thieves everywhere.

this is certainly not the end of it.

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-31-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
they are thieves, robbing people-so it shouldn't even matter whether the victims have over 100,000 euros or not. if you think that theft doesn't trickle down to the working class, you aren't analyzing the entire situation.

A company owned by relatives of Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades has withdrawn tens of millions of euros from Laiki bank a few days before the Eurogroup decision, which resulted in the crisis, the Cypriot Haravgi daily reported.
According to the newspaper three days before the decision of the Eurogroup the company asked for the payment of securities worth EUR 21 million ahead of schedule and the money was transferred to London.

although I would suggest that it is a good idea to NOT keep money over the "protected"(is there truly such a thing?) limit in ANY country anymore, because there are truly thieves everywhere.

It has been well known that these Cypriot banks were insolvent. These people still put money in them knowing that. I personally think they should come out and call it what it is, the stupidity tax.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:13 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It has been well known that these Cypriot banks were insolvent. These people still put money in them knowing that. I personally think they should come out and call it what it is, the stupidity tax.
They were counting on a ECB bailout... so more a bad bet than stupidity. Sometimes it is hard to tell insolvency from illiquidity at a distance so only those with good inside information knew enough to get out early.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
They were counting on a ECB bailout... so more a bad bet than stupidity. Sometimes it is hard to tell insolvency from illiquidity at a distance so only those with good inside information knew enough to get out early.
The stupidity is having more money in your account than is insured. That goes for anywhere, including here.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,301 times
Quote:

I mean technically it is not stealing, since that is the reason that up to only a certain amount is insured. You open accounts knowing that only a certain amount will be protected and that if you have more than that, it can be taken out in times of financial distress.

While this is definitely unfortunate for those that lost their money, it is normal, the fear should set in when they take money from the insured portion of your account.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
I mean technically it is not stealing, since that is the reason that up to only a certain amount is insured. You open accounts knowing that only a certain amount will be protected and that if you have more than that, it can be taken out in times of financial distress.

While this is definitely unfortunate for those that lost their money, it is normal, the fear should set in when they take money from the insured portion of your account.
of course "technically" it isn't, but what do you call it when some of the people get their money out and some of the people don't-depending on whether they have connections or not.

I am not sure who actually lost money here and am beginning to think it was just another ploy (in a long line of European ploys) to continue moving money around the EU-the robbing peter to pay paul scenario.

I see that the british pensioners are going to be made whole, the german shippers and distributors still get access to their money, the cyprus president's family got their money out ahead of the announcement, there were other big withdrawals before the announcement, the church has an injunction of the taking of their money, "special exemptions will be made under special circumstances", and everyone under 100k isn't going to be touched- so how much money are they collecting in actual terms?

Laiki UK depositors won't pay Cyprus bailout levy | Reuters

Just when it looked like the banking crisis in Cyprus couldn't get any weirder, here's another odd twist: The broke are buying the brokest.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...s-bailout.html

fear should be setting in when there is so much lying going on, especially with a fiat currency "underpinned by trust".

Last edited by floridasandy; 04-02-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
My eldest son was living in Cyprus for the last 4 years. He escaped the place just in time. He came back about 6 months ago. He said that within a few months his income was cut in half and they were nose diving into poverty. He describe the culture as relaxed and consumer spending was not a primary motivation for the people.

On a Saturday night the folks would dress up in their finest and sit drinking coffee and socializing at minimum cost. I guess the far flung member of the EU - which is Germany with their stupid on going industrial mind set that has not changed since the great war...resented the fact that some people were simply enjoying their lives in a simple manner.

Cyprus was seen as the weakest economic link in the EU Germanic chain of command...so they made them the official whipping boy..the scapegoat..."see what happens when people do not work their fingers to the bone and produce"..............Some people want to enjoy life..To rape and pillage the meager bank accounts in Cyprus reminds me of the Germans stealing art and gold from more culturally advanced people during WW2..Germany should mind it's own business..but I guess the German plundering mentality is intergenerational.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,301 times
Quote:
of course "technically" it isn't, but what do you call it when some of the people get their money out and some of the people don't-depending on whether they have connections or not.

I am not sure who actually lost money here and am beginning to think it was just another ploy (in a long line of European ploys) to continue moving money around the EU-the robbing peter to pay paul scenario.

I see that the british pensioners are going to be made whole, the german shippers and distributors still get access to their money, the cyprus president's family got their money out ahead of the announcement, there were other big withdrawals before the announcement, the church has an injunction of the taking of their money, "special exemptions will be made under special circumstances", and everyone under 100k isn't going to be touched- so how much money are they collecting in actual terms?

Laiki UK depositors won't pay Cyprus bailout levy | Reuters

Just when it looked like the banking crisis in Cyprus couldn't get any weirder, here's another odd twist: The broke are buying the brokest.
Survival of the Brokest in Cyprus Bailout - Bloomberg

fear should be setting in when there is so much lying going on, especially with a fiat currency "underpinned by trust".
Well, I won't disagree with you that there is a frightening amount of corruption.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
My eldest son was living in Cyprus for the last 4 years. He escaped the place just in time. He came back about 6 months ago. He said that within a few months his income was cut in half and they were nose diving into poverty. He describe the culture as relaxed and consumer spending was not a primary motivation for the people.

On a Saturday night the folks would dress up in their finest and sit drinking coffee and socializing at minimum cost. I guess the far flung member of the EU - which is Germany with their stupid on going industrial mind set that has not changed since the great war...resented the fact that some people were simply enjoying their lives in a simple manner.

Cyprus was seen as the weakest economic link in the EU Germanic chain of command...so they made them the official whipping boy..the scapegoat..."see what happens when people do not work their fingers to the bone and produce"..............Some people want to enjoy life..To rape and pillage the meager bank accounts in Cyprus reminds me of the Germans stealing art and gold from more culturally advanced people during WW2..Germany should mind it's own business..but I guess the German plundering mentality is intergenerational.
Wow talking about taking the victim mentality. It was plundering by Germany to bail out the largest bank in Cyprus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics