Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM

99 posts, read 214,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Exactly. What is it that these people want? What specific reforms or changes do they seek?
Here's what one of the nutjobs wants: (from occupywallst.org)

Quote:
Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.

Demand four: Free college education.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.

Lloyd J Hart 508-687-9153

Minimum wage $20/hour, a wage regardless of employment, free college, open borders, trillions more of immediate spending, outlaw credit reporting agencies (!?!?!?!?), and wiping all consumer debt off the books!

I wonder why the world is scoffing at them though the media is not? Compare it to that of the Tea Party, where the media scoffs at the mere mention of them, but the average American does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,739,374 times
I'm kinda liking demand 11, because alot of people have been sold an expensive cost of living via the housing bubble and resulting inflation, and then had their jobs offshored. If nothing else, a writedown of a substantial % is due for anyone who bought a home in the last 10 years.
Alot of the demands are not reasonable or viable, I would not want the borders opened.
You will find that as "trickle-up" poverty envelops more peoples lives, you will see smarter protesters and their focus will develop more realistic and sensible goals.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,297,702 times
there are about 100 of the protesters in Seattle. That in itself shows it will fizzle. That and the fact that people these days look at protesters as "rent-a-mob" participants that are looking for any chance to go have fun making trouble.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM

345 posts, read 995,176 times
Peaceful protests are long overdue in this country. How many of our politicians at all levels of government are voting in the citizens' best interests? Too few. My elected officials don't represent me. They represent whoever paid to get them elected.

I've written my senators and representatives several times only to receive automatic replies that didn't address my concerns. It's time our voices are heard.

I don't agree with all of the demands on the list posted above or on other lists from the protestors that I've read, but I do agree that it's time to protest loudly and together. Maybe we citizens can take our country back from the few who control it.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Cain says: "Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the banks...if you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourselves."

Newt says: "People have a right to be angry."
(Some might say good old Newt is looking pretty good)

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

In the same newscast: Amanda Knox

Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,321,872 times
[QUOTE]I think their opinions might have been very different had the system collapsed and they learned their debit card didn't work and there was no way to buy food and gasoline to get them through the weekend.[/QUOTE]

That's right. They'd all be in Washington protesting the fact that the government DIDN'T step in and bail out their banks so they could use their debit cards to buy smokes and lottery tickets and pay their cell phones apps, lol. They're all down there protesting and they don't even know why. All I've heard out of them so far is things like "TAX THE RICH" and "GIVE US" and "WE WANT", and all while they refuse to do much of anything for themselves. Well folks, newsflash! You don't improve your own life by protesting and demanding a share of what someone else has EARNED. You do it by working hard, saving and investing, and getting ahead. And shouldn't they all be in school or work during the day? That's where the rest of us are all day. We're all too busy working and improving our own lots to go out and waste our time protesting. Keep up that midset you protesters. That mindset will guarentee you will never have to worry about finding yourself on the other side of the street.

Last edited by treasurekidd; 10-06-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Cain says: "Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the banks...if you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourselves."
I'm liking him more and more! That's exactly the sort of lesson you people need to learn. You are lucky enough to be a citizen of the United States Of America, the greatest country in the world. You are born with the right of freeedom and equal opportunity the same as everyone else, and nothing more. You have a guarenteed right and opportunity to educate yourself, work hard, invest, take risks and become the next billionaire like Warren Buffett, but you are are not guarenteed the same outcome. You have to EARN that yourself.

All the media today (along with a certain political party) seems to want to do is make the hard working, succesfull and wealthy people in this country the bad guys, when these are the people we should all be working hard to emulate. It seems to me that it's the folks who refuse to do anything for themselves and run around screaming "I WANT" and "GIVE ME" and "TAKE FROM THEM" that should be treated with scorn and ridicule.

Last edited by treasurekidd; 10-06-2011 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 05:12 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,379,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Exactly. What is it that these people want? What specific reforms or changes do they seek? Do they think they would have been better off if no "bailout" had taken place and the financial system had collapsed? I think their opinions might have been very different had the system collapsed and they learned their debit card didn't work and there was no way to buy food and gasoline to get them through the weekend.

Where is MY bailout?

The best thing the goverment could've done was let them fail. Here we are 3 years later and nothings any better. Its actually worse for most.

As far as my debit card....there is NO money to withdraw! It all goes to pay excessive increases in groceries, gasoline, utilities and any other enity that has a monopoly going on.

Screw Wall Street

Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Quick question for all you protester types - Why are you only protesting on Wall Street and not Detroit? GM and Chrystler took billions just like the banks and laid off tons of workers, so why not protest there too?? At least the big bailed out banks paid the bailout money back. GM and Chrsytler still owe us money right? Why is everyone only mad at banks?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,379,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Quick question for all you protester types - Why are you only protesting on Wall Street and not Detroit? GM and Chrystler took billions just like the banks and laid off tons of workers, so why not protest there too?? At least the big bailed out banks paid the bailout money back. GM and Chrsytler still owe us money right? Why is everyone only mad at banks?
Because the banks created this mess, not gm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics