Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:17 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,109,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
They were in Minneapolis today. It was peaceful and from the news coverage, there were a lot of people there all day (participants + watchers). I'm all for what they are trying to do. Better than sitting on the side complaining about it all and doing nothing.
What do you mean? All they are doing is complaining and doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,026,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
What do you mean? All they are doing is complaining and doing nothing.
doh - Let's hope it doesn't escalate - perhaps then you'll get it.

You see it as "Complaining" ~~ many see it as explaining their position.

They are drawing a lot of people which tells me that people are interested.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
They muct have run that movie i which the guy started that cry"I am mad as hell and I am not goig to take it any more". Bascailly they got the chnage they were promised and now decide 11/2 trillion borrowed dollars later they don't like it;give me a break.I thnik what we see here is what germnay saw with hitler blamig the jews for the losss i WWII. They just need a mrirror to see whocasued their problems.But I guess when your told your special from when your born to start to believe your own conning yourself.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 PM

604 posts, read 751,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
They muct have run that movie i which the guy started that cry"I am mad as hell and I am not goig to take it any more". Bascailly they got the chnage they were promised and now decide 11/2 trillion borrowed dollars later they don't like it;give me a break.I thnik what we see here is what germnay saw with hitler blamig the jews for the losss i WWII. They just need a mrirror to see whocasued their problems.But I guess when your told your special from when your born to start to believe your own conning yourself.
I don't think these people see bankers and Wall street as a scapegoat to our problems. We can blame Chinese/Asian workers making products we buy, which is a legitimate cause to our deteriorating economy, or we can blame illegal immigrants.

No one can blame any ONE group for the problems we have.

Corporations have corrupted our politics, BUT, they have given the people what they demanded for a while, cheap products.

Government allowed itself to be corrupted by politics, and has not enacted laws to help keep factories or manufacturing plants in America.

The People, demanded cheap products in the first place, which is why corporations found cheaper labor to manufacture cheaper products.

No one can really control what major events happen, 9/11 did change a lot of things, because many people wanted retaliation against our aggressors, which got us into a long drawn out war, but we have cheap oil, which might not be safe if our military wasn't over there.

Causes and effects.... we shouldn't be arguing about why we're here, but what can get us out of 'here'....

Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
Peaceful protests are long overdue in this country. How many of our politicians at all levels of government are voting in the citizens' best interests? Too few. My elected officials don't represent me. They represent whoever paid to get them elected.

I've written my senators and representatives several times only to receive automatic replies that didn't address my concerns. It's time our voices are heard.

I don't agree with all of the demands on the list posted above or on other lists from the protestors that I've read, but I do agree that it's time to protest loudly and together. Maybe we citizens can take our country back from the few who control it.
Those of us who don't fit the tea party hat but are fed up with the way things are don't have anyone representing us. I know the demands are not going to be met in their entirity, but nobodies are. And it matters that those who don't like the system but come from other than the ultra right are heard too. And YES, we need peaceful protest about the way our country is being stolen by the greedy. I also like that nobody is getting a political pass since nobody deserves one.

You get what you pay for in effort and caring when it comes to government and so long as protest brings instant scoffing we'll continue to get the flash without substance visited upon us that we have now by ALL parties, right wing and left and center and old or new.

If we don't we're going to end up a third world image with a few mega rich and the rest fighting over the dregs they drop.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Those of us who don't fit the tea party hat but are fed up with the way things are don't have anyone representing us. I know the demands are not going to be met in their entirity, but nobodies are. And it matters that those who don't like the system but come from other than the ultra right are heard too. And YES, we need peaceful protest about the way our country is being stolen by the greedy. I also like that nobody is getting a political pass since nobody deserves one.

You get what you pay for in effort and caring when it comes to government and so long as protest brings instant scoffing we'll continue to get the flash without substance visited upon us that we have now by ALL parties, right wing and left and center and old or new.

If we don't we're going to end up a third world image with a few mega rich and the rest fighting over the dregs they drop.
I'll Third that motion, I'd love to be there but at my age it would be almost impossible. I've sent contributions on Crooks and Liars to show my support. We are the 99%

Old 10-08-2011, 08:41 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,379,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This kind of reasoning is almost infantile. Some people are so determined to "get even with the banks" they fail to see what an out-an-out catastrophe would have taken place.I think you are so concerned about the fact that things aren't ideal for you right now that you've lost sight of the big picture. If the whole banking system had been allowed to collapse here are just a few things that would have likely happened:

1. Businesses would have been unable to pay their workers.

2. Stores would have been unable to sell to anyone without cash.

3. People without food storage would have literally gone hungry.

4. Businesses wouldn't have laid off 9% of their workforce. It would have been maybe one third to one half their labor force.

5. The rest of the world would have totally lost confidence in this country. Our dollar might have become a worthless currency. Right now, despite our problems its holding up well against the Euro, the British Pound, and the Canadian Dollar.

Do your realize that hungry people would probably riot? The store owners would have been left with the choice of letting looters take their whole inventory or resorting to shooting and killing them.

It was a nightmare scenario. It took bold, controversial action by leaders from both political parties to stop it. Of course you disagree with it. You have the luxury of hindsight.

Not every bank recieved a bailout. The ones that didn't could've taken up the slack

Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Corporations have corrupted our politics, BUT, they have given the people what they demanded for a while, cheap products.
isnt that government's fault? arent they supposed to regulate business? i guess not when its convenient for them and their wive's get 500k salaries, their kids get jobs, their campaign funds get filled with cash, they get free rides in corporate jets, etc. etc. etc. our government needs better regulation for itself.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Oe of the basica problems with governamnt on stimulating the econmoy is it can make thigns worde if it creates alot of debt and has litle results. That is our problem at this point, The debt just amkes consumers and comapnies hunkerdown more and longer ebcause of the future liabilties. Stats just consumer redcuing debt and borrowing 9.5 billion less in august. That is more humkerig dwon waiting for the debt shoe to drop.Spending much result in growth or no debt when it onyl vreates more debt that is the path to being another Greece.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,177,857 times
Occupy Wall Street protest demands outline complete and complex reforms to our financial system

I see nothing wrong with having reasonable demands for change.

IMO our government and financial system is broken...it doesn't work anymore for the majority of the people. I was always taught that our government is suppose to serve the people but they seem to only serve themselves and the wallets of themselves and their friends/family.

I am refusing to vote in the 2012 election for anyone. I know this may sound dumb to some but I am tired of wasting my vote on liars. All of the politician's say whatever it is we want to hear at that moment in order to get elected but once in office they change their tune and stop/never start serving the people.

Our whole government/financial system needs major reform...it is corrupt (but they like to think that they are not...talk about hypocrisy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics