Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM

70 posts, read 96,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
I agree, in the long-term they will need a few select points to argue over.

But for now, until they've got more respectable numbers, I think laying out all our problems and protesting as they are now is the best thing they can do.

If they make their priority getting out of the middle east, for example- anyone who thinks that is a lower priority than people over profit will think that the protest is no longer 'for them' in a sense...

I am in absolute agreement, Kings Ranger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I have felt this way for a long time. The Dem/Rep labels need to be removed - all it does is cause trouble and keeps Congress from making any kind of progress. I swear people would vote for Charles Manson if he were running under the Rep or Dem ticket. Party loyalty? I really don't get it. People should just vote for the person they feel will do the best job.
The country is not run by either or both parties, it's run by corporations--e.g., corporate government. No one candidate of either party is going to make a difference. The system is what it is, and there will be snowballs in h*** if and when that changes.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The country is not run by either or both parties, it's run by corporations--e.g., corporate government. No one candidate of either party is going to make a difference. The system is what it is, and there will be snowballs in h*** if and when that changes.
Look at Obama appointing three 1%ers to solve the problems the 1% caused. That's like putting Timmie Geithner in charge of the Treasury, oh wait

This is what it is about, the 99% don't want any more excuses

Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
Peaceful protests are long overdue in this country. How many of our politicians at all levels of government are voting in the citizens' best interests? Too few. My elected officials don't represent me. They represent whoever paid to get them elected.

I've written my senators and representatives several times only to receive automatic replies that didn't address my concerns. It's time our voices are heard.

I don't agree with all of the demands on the list posted above or on other lists from the protestors that I've read, but I do agree that it's time to protest loudly and together. Maybe we citizens can take our country back from the few who control it.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,988,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
It's hard to turn your back on Wall St. when a commodities trader decides the price of your gas, food, and clothing no matter the surplus or demand of these commodities.
And they do this in complete secrecy and with a government sanctioned license to do so flying in the face of all regulations to the contrary.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times
The moment you start thinking them and us you LOST. Its been bad for a while, but its gotten so much worse of late.

Just look at elections where every comment is scripted to make sure everyone hears what they want and the candidtate doesn't actually say anything. This just leaves personality to judge from and the spin doctors work on that. Dump the spin doctors and spiffy ads. Just have canditates sitting at a simple desk in normal dress and answer real questions ON THEIR OWN. Make them state what they actually stand for with the pr help. This is what will make a difference.

The exception to not every really making a statement are the fringes. Tea party people knew their audience and gave them the answers they wanted. The middle, and less fringy have to try to please everyone now.

I listen to issues. My 'politics' are very electic because of that. The biggest problem is that even if someone *says* this is their belief you have to look closely at the audience and analize every word to see if its a nicely written but meaningless speech or they actually made a statement.

Last edited by Marka; 10-13-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The moment you start thinking them and us you LOST. Its been bad for a while, but its gotten so much worse of late.

Just look at elections where every comment is scripted to make sure everyone hears what they want and the candidtate doesn't actually say anything. This just leaves personality to judge from and the spin doctors work on that. Dump the spin doctors and spiffy ads. Just have canditates sitting at a simple desk in normal dress and answer real questions ON THEIR OWN. Make them state what they actually stand for with the pr help. This is what will make a difference.

The exception to not every really making a statement are the fringes. Tea party people knew their audience and gave them the answers they wanted. The middle, and less fringy have to try to please everyone now.

I listen to issues. My 'politics' are very electic because of that. The biggest problem is that even if someone *says* this is their belief you have to look closely at the audience and analize every word to see if its a nicely written but meaningless speech or they actually made a statement.
True, but it's not enough. We need to rebuild the system by severing legislature from corporate $$$$ influence. Lobbying is legalized bribery.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,202,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RansackedMuse View Post
I agree that the movement needs a reputable face or two. But I disagree with you in that they don't understand that the real seat of power lies beyond 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, they do. That is why the movement is called #OccupyWallStreet. The point is that corporations have taken over the governing of our country and that should come to an end. There are links to more information about their specific demands and the origins of the movement here (http://ransackedmuse.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/american-autumn-at-occupychi-across-the-world/ - broken link).
Having unions get behind protesters and start writing the laws would be just as messed up. Unions are just as much of a Ponzi scheme in my eyes, the people at the top are making tons of money off of the dues that the others pay.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,799,875 times

Wall Street Mocks Protesters By Drinking Champagne 2011 - YouTube

Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Having unions get behind protesters and start writing the laws would be just as messed up. Unions are just as much of a Ponzi scheme in my eyes, the people at the top are making tons of money off of the dues that the others pay.
If the people in unions want to protest and express their grievances beside those of #ows I think it only strengthens the cause. If union leaders want to try to take over the movement then we have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics