Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times

Advertisements

I don't care if taxing the rich eliminates the deficit. I would like taxes to eliminate the rich. I have always been annoyed by the realization that so many people can live off their assets without being economically coerced to work for their living. The way I figure it if I have to work for some other sob's fortune so do you and that includes the sob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Default post 281

Bad ideas if you have any real idea how the economy actually works.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM

344 posts, read 427,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I don't care if taxing the rich eliminates the deficit. I would like taxes to eliminate the rich. I have always been annoyed by the realization that so many people can live off their assets without being economically coerced to work for their living. The way I figure it if I have to work for some other sob's fortune so do you and that includes the sob.
Wow. So you dont like the fact that you can be innovative, riskful, and take sacrifices to set yourself up for an early retirement? So it upsets you that a Man saves and invest his money to acquire rental properties and decides he wants to live off his rental income?

Would you be happy if everyone does hard manual labor until they are 75?

Quote:
I would like taxes to eliminate the rich.
Ever work for a poor man before? I haven't.....

Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,694,986 times
Quote:
Bad ideas if you have any real idea how the economy actually works.
We are following those ideas and we are still going down. Reducing Defense Budget is a good idea. Improving infrastructure spending is a good idea.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,558,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
We are following those ideas and we are still going down. Reducing Defense Budget is a good idea. Improving infrastructure spending is a good idea.
He probably thinks "trickle down" works lol

The rich would screw America over before that happened.
Move all their assets to idk Switzerland, emigrate, and bankrupt country

Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,129,048 times
The only trouble with so-called tax the rich ideas is that the government's idea of rich will change to become lower and lower and lower (ad infinitum) over time. The current income tax started out as a tax only on the wealthier income earners! Think about how it is now. THAT IS THE FUTURE of any tax the government imposes.

Also, if the government were to impose higher limits on the income tax it might not be a bad idea on the surface. But (1) most of the truly wealthy do not get their money from what is considered income under the current system, and (2) there would be definite unplanned and unforseen consequences as there alway are. Whether these would prove beneficial or not, I don't know but unfortunately they always seem to prove to be negative more often than positive.

Should things be done. Absolutely! (1) Stop giving illegals the same privileges as citizens and legal immigrants (no other country does so why should we? (2) Cut off foreign aid to developed countries and to most undeveloped and developing countries (except for aid during severe emergencies). You can't buy friends and most of the time the money doesn't go to help the people anyway. (3) Reform social security so that Congress can't get their greedy little hands on it. And, take it back to what it originally was intended for -- a retirement account that people pay into and which should be there when they retire. Give younger workers a choice of whether or not to participate. (4) Get rid of Obamacare, which is going to cost us BILLIONS. Instead do what he SAID prior to his first election and give citizens (and legal non-citizens) the same healthcare plan Congress has. (5) DO NOT allow Congress to exempt themselves from laws they impose on the rest of us. And make them actually READ the bills they vote on! (nothing to do with the deficit but a good idea anyway LOL). (6) Cut out at least 20% of the WASTE from all parts of the budget. Do it gradually over say 5 years starting at 5%. Should be doable without causing undue hardships for any one.

And definitely cut out corporate bailouts and corporate welfare.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,735,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post

Also, if the government were to impose higher limits on the income tax it might not be a bad idea on the surface. But (1) most of the truly wealthy do not get their money from what is considered income under the current system, and (2) there would be definite unplanned and unforseen consequences as there alway are. Whether these would prove beneficial or not, I don't know but unfortunately they always seem to prove to be negative more often than positive...
Which is why the capital gains and dividend rate is the primary concern.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,063,691 times
It is becoming increasingly clear that Alturia has failed and the migration from is in process and many of the affluent are searching for Randville. Hmmm Belize may be a country destination and Republican controlled legislatures with Red Gov's are trying to create state sanctuaries. Go south young man go south is often heard. So is Illinois Alturia?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Taxing the rich is one small step in right direction. Reducing bloated Defense budget with billions being spent for Defense contractors at bases around the world will be next step. Reducing Social Security and Medicare should also be next step. Then reduce the Food Stamps, Section 8, Medicaid welfare programs. Last but not the least, fix the illegal immigration program.

Great idea, but sadly too many defense contractor lobbyists will not let that happen. Reducing the free gravy train aka food stamps, welfare etc will start riots like the Rodney King trial did, after all they are entitled to it!

Greg....taxing the rich idea is crazytalk, I could careless if some old couple lives on unearned income for 50 years, they got better DNA than you did, get over it! Also remember that rich people buy yachts, cars, homes that all need care from blue collar guys trying to earn a paycheck. Any idea how many yacht captains were making 75k+ a year in 2005 and now are sitting on the couch? If the captain is not working, neither are 2-3 other boat workers, then the boatyard is slow (lose a couple more guys), now owner didn't buy another yacht so the salesman that sold the guy 5 boats in the last 20 years is starving......this story isn't hypothetical, I have seen it happen quite a few times. Now look at cars/homes/etc and the rich guy is still having a good life but several former employees are not......so who really gets hurt? The blue collar guys....

Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times
Quote:
There will always be rich people. But if you make their taxes offensive - they will move their money or move completely to a more hospitable place. It is happening in France right now, and will happen in the US if the US raises tax rates substantially higher.

I don't know what you do for a living, but if it is so offensive to you that your labor contributes to someone rich perhaps you should find a different job. Perhaps you should work for the government in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics