Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,750,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi wanneroo,

You have obviously misunderstood the purpose of life. You are to suffer until 68 where you can then live out your dream in style. Bland food that is easy to digest, a free and clear lazy afternoon after the colonoscapy, relatively young women in their upper fifties with lots of sensual experience, and early bird discounts at Bob Evans. Everything revolves around this great hope.
I missed that memo.

A lot of people I know have been critical of me, but I have sought out some balance between work and having a life.

In 100 years, will it really matter than someone worked themselves into the ground? No one will care.

Sometimes I think we have to have some perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 29,321,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Words of wisdom you should heed maschuette.

Many people find they can't turn it off, the goal posts for what you consider "enough" will keep moving. Slow down, have a beer.
Exactly! I say: Slow down and read the obituary column every day!

I have for years!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,942,561 times
I suppose if you hate what you do everyday... then I suppose you can take a huge paycut and do even less but at least you will be happy thinking about the things you "could" of done (but I don't see how you can be happy not being able to do the things you wanted to do)... but if you love what you do and make a significant amount of money, well, you are living and working at the same time... why ruin a good thing?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,750,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I suppose if you hate what you do everyday... then I suppose you can take a huge paycut and do even less but at least you will be happy thinking about the things you "could" of done (but I don't see how you can be happy not being able to do the things you wanted to do)... but if you love what you do and make a significant amount of money, well, you are living and working at the same time... why ruin a good thing?
I cast everything aside to go after a "dream job" that many aspire to and while it has not been easy it has been worth the experience.

The smart thing to do is find a way to channel your passions into a job that makes money.

It's actually easier for me to be on the road for work, than at home, because my job is my #1 hobby.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 AM

37,846 posts, read 41,209,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"If you live for having it all, what you have is never enough. In an environment of more is better, “enough” is like the horizon—always receding."

Your Money or Your Life: Why Work Yourself to Death? | Books | AlterNet
I can make it simple. You work for stuff, then you want to attract someone who likes expensive stuff, then you marry someone who wants other stuff that you don't have. Then you both decide you want better stuff. Then you give birth to a kid with the "needs more stuff" gene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics