Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,105,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Any info on how many of those fail, lose all their initial investment, or make peanuts selling crap on eBay or putting little signs up on off-ramps at 2:00 am to promote their latest multi-level-marketing scheme?
The failure rate is difficult to measure, usually statistics are measuring closure rates and call it a "failure rate" despite the two being rather different. If failure is understood to be an actual loss of money then the failure rates aren't too high, around 25~30%. The median income for owner managed small-businesses is around $40k, but that includes both part-time and full-time businesses (many are part-time).

Your typical small business is not making big bucks, most do it because they prefer to work for themselves, enjoy the added flexibility, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That poster expressing his views on the difficulty or working part time is what makes these message boards work, people have opinions so we discuss.
And I'm expressing my view about the other poster's false dilemma. But perhaps we are just suppose to state our opinion and pretend that we are all equally correct in some new-ager fashion?

My comment about whining goes well beyond this single thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,706,125 times
My wife and I have this plan to pay off all debt (non-mortgage and mortgage) within 6 years. Just prior to that, I'd plan to negotiate to trade a salary increase for an increase in vacation time. For example, instead of a $10000 raise, I'd look for the equivalent in vacation time. I think in my field I might be able to negotiate something like that. So, I'd more or less have 2 months off per year (4 weeks discretionary throughout the year and take 1 month straight in the summer). Spend more time with the kids, etc.

I wouldn't be hurting for that time off either. If right now I pay out about ~4k/mo in various debt (student loans, mortgages) and all of that disappears, I have 4k/mo in my pocket. The way we live, I could take leave without pay.

Of course, it might be long-term professional suicide, but when you are good at what you do, employers look to keep you.

I'd much rather work a bit and live my life than live to work.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Sure, it may take only $10,000 to start a business (I have my doubts about that figure) but you have to have something to live on until the business starts to make money.
$10,000 is the average, many businesses are started part-time while the owners are still working. Many businesses turn a profit their first year as well. Many businesses are started by a husband/wife while the spouse works. Etc.

For whatever reason when people think of business they think of some fantasy restaurant or something of that nature, yet around 40% of new businesses start as home based businesses.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
For example, instead of a $10000 raise, I'd look for the equivalent in vacation time. I think in my field I might be able to negotiate something like that.
The problem with this is that there are a lot of overhead costs associated with hiring someone full-time and these costs are a greater burden the less you work. After all, if existing employees start working less they will have to hire someone else to pick up the slack.

If the US moved away from providing health-care, etc via employers I think it would be a lot more common to have someone working say 30-hours a week yet still making a good hourly wage.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
I don;t know anyoenthat wants to work themselves to death.But I guess its lie hobbies that people ahve some see ne hobby as working to death others love it and don't see it as work.I have actaully know people that where couch potatoes at work and at home really.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM

764 posts, read 1,558,682 times
I am working myself to death, and have been for the last 3 years. I currently work 12 hours a day for 2 or 3 weeks straight, and then take off 3 or 4 days. This means i work 84 hours a week. I am an indipendent contractor so i don't even get overtime. But i plan on "retiring" by the time i am 30, which is about 6 years away. My goal is to be indipendently wealthy (when my assessts make more money then i can). I doubt i will reach my goal but it is better to aim to high and miss then to aim to low and succeed. Thats why a few of us work ourselves to death....

Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
balance is important. dont lay down thought during the race, you may not wake up.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,209,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
balance is important. dont lay down thought during the race, you may not wake up.
Words of wisdom you should heed maschuette.

Many people find they can't turn it off, the goal posts for what you consider "enough" will keep moving. Slow down, have a beer.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,694,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
I am working myself to death, and have been for the last 3 years. I currently work 12 hours a day for 2 or 3 weeks straight, and then take off 3 or 4 days. This means i work 84 hours a week. I am an indipendent contractor so i don't even get overtime. But i plan on "retiring" by the time i am 30, which is about 6 years away. My goal is to be indipendently wealthy (when my assessts make more money then i can). I doubt i will reach my goal but it is better to aim to high and miss then to aim to low and succeed. Thats why a few of us work ourselves to death....
Well I did the same from that age to 30, with the exception I did take off somewhat in the off seasons. Rest of the time I was still pounding it out 80-100 hours a week.

When I finally started to realize I suffered from work addiction and got into another environment, I realized how dumb I was. The 20's are the prime of your life in a lot of ways and during that time I passed up many great experiences and ended up with dating relationships that could have been way better if I had not been working myself into the ground.

Sometimes you have to do a Ferris Bueller and stop and look around.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM

20,729 posts, read 19,390,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well I did the same from that age to 30, with the exception I did take off somewhat in the off seasons. Rest of the time I was still pounding it out 80-100 hours a week.

When I finally started to realize I suffered from work addiction and got into another environment, I realized how dumb I was. The 20's are the prime of your life in a lot of ways and during that time I passed up many great experiences and ended up with dating relationships that could have been way better if I had not been working myself into the ground.

Sometimes you have to do a Ferris Bueller and stop and look around.

Hi wanneroo,

You have obviously misunderstood the purpose of life. You are to suffer until 68 where you can then live out your dream in style. Bland food that is easy to digest, a free and clear lazy afternoon after the colonoscapy, relatively young women in their upper fifties with lots of sensual experience, and early bird discounts at Bob Evans. Everything revolves around this great hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics