Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,947 times

Advertisements

OK so she has discovered that she is a swimmer! However, after she dries off she smells and it's like a combo of dirty feet and vomit. Lovely, I know. It's a salt water pool. Help? I don't think keeping her out of the pool this summer is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Your smelling her being a high hair oil dog. All dogs smell when wet tho. Drying off and frequent baths are the only solution really.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 PM

267 posts, read 806,393 times
What do you feed her? Since starting our pug on the raw diet, she's been swimming in all manner of things, including the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic, and tons of lakes, rivers, streams and creeks and never smells. I don't know if diet can effect something like that, but it's something to think about anyway.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
I would try a vinegar rinse after she is done swimming. Just put some vinegar in a large pitcher, about a 1/4 cup and fill with water. Pour it all over and lightly rinse. You don't have to make sure the vinegar is completely rinsed off, the smell of the vinegar will go away when she is dry. Vinegar is a great way to get rid of smells.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Is it coming from all over her body or around her head area, specifically the ears?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
OK so she has discovered that she is a swimmer! However, after she dries off she smells and it's like a combo of dirty feet and vomit. Lovely, I know. It's a salt water pool. Help? I don't think keeping her out of the pool this summer is an option.
HA HA HA!!!

That reminds me of Ron Burgundy wearing Sex Panther.

Seriously, I feel your pain. If there is water, my dog WILL swim and he doesn't seem to mind if it makes him smell like a diaper filled with Indian food.

Have you tried Febreeze?

The best thing that I have found is to simply give the dog a thorough hosing off after he's been in the water. It isn't a cure, but it helps a great deal. When I can smell him without bending down to his level its time for a bath.

By the way, anyone else have a golden who is furiously thinning his or her coat for the summer? I swept up enough hair yesterday to fill a grocery bag. It's on everything and in my food.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
nope ... got just the opposite problem with bailey.... hasn't even BEGUN to blow her winter coat and we are already into June..... she has ENTIRELY too much thick fur on her body......

Old 06-07-2010, 02:48 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,100 times
Harper sheds like mad all the time, as does the cat, so I'm always sweeping up loads of hair. You are right though... tis the season. I give Harper a scratch and a pet and I swear I come away wearing a mitten.

As for the smell... he doesn't swim much but the stink seems to build up over time (barring the occasional roll in nasty stuff outside) so he gets a bath every week or so. He hated them at first but now I point to the tub and he jumps into it on his own.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
It may be a reaction between the chlorine and the dog's oils, or some other product you use on the dog. Maybe a grooming product? There was once a notice at the petstore about a certain fea & tick application that was advised to keep dogs out of pools for at least a week after treatment.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,126 times
Believe this or not but I was told by my Vet the reason a dog smells after long periods of swimming is the smell is being released from their glands. She said it is really no different than humans who release from their sweat glands, i. e. under our arms. So it has nothing to do with the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs