Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,375 times

Advertisements

Can anyone on the east coast help us find an English Springer Spaniel Tri, b/w, l/w any. We would like a female, laid back, Confident 3-5 years old, social, Needs to be good with being around a 7 1/2 month old ESS female. She is in need of a buddy she is very lively, and playful! My husband and I would like to add to our family of 3. Our pets have always been our children. We are excited to adopt an adult to help us show our Puppy the ropes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassylady10 View Post
Can anyone help us find an English Springer Spaniel Tri, b/w, l/w any. We would like a female, laid back, Confident 3-5 years old, social, Needs to be good with being around a 7 1/2 month old ESS female. She is in need of a buddy she is very lively, and playful! My husband and I would like to add to our family of 3. Our pets have always been our children. We are excited to adopt an adult to help us show our Puppy the ropes.
Go to petfinders.com. I saw that you posted this in the PA forum also so I searched for English Springer Spaniel in PA and it came up with over 300 dogs. Of course they won't all be purebreds but it's a start.

Good luck!!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
The site is petfinder, not petfinders. Extra important because I've heard of a scam website with a name similar to petfinder. I looked too and there's a ESS rescue in Newville, wherever that is.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
The site is petfinder, not petfinders. Extra important because I've heard of a scam website with a name similar to petfinder. I looked too and there's a ESS rescue in Newville, wherever that is.
Ooops....sorry....She is correct. Petfinder.com

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
They are fabulous dogs, but can have rage syndrome, so do be careful you do not get one which has been given up for this reason.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM

150 posts, read 343,947 times
I suggest that you contact English Springer Rescue America. This is a great organization where all of the springers pulled are put into foster homes and evaluated prior to adoption. They are across the United States.

As far as rage syndrome, since you already own a springer, I'm sure that you know many breeds of dogs are subject to this and not just springers or spaniels. Like any dog being adopted there are many considerations. Before getting our springer, I did extensive research on the subject and found many inconsistencies, just like misinformation about bully breeds. It is a sensitive subject for me as many people will take a springer tendency such as being mouthy, decide they don't want to properly train a hunting/bird dog and label it.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
What jasmom87 said.
My first adoption was a beautiful 4-year-old Springer. His people were mililtary and the base closed, the man was transferred overseas, the woman was home with kidney disease and three young children.
After three months, Pete starting turning on me without any provocation. He'd be like a Cujo for about a minute. It looked very seizure-like to me. After he cornered me for ten minutes and clamped down on my hand (and I'm sure would have attacked me fully if he could- 24 hours after sharing my pillow!) I had Animal Control remove him and he had to be put down.
Any decent rescue or placement group would evaluate a Springer who is up for adoption for rage syndrome, or any other serious problem. They're not in the business of making bad placements, never mind dangerous/litiginous ones.
I'd adopt a Springer again, just not from a family who dearly wants to see the dog as just needing more attention. He was a lovely dog. RIP, Pete.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
I ditto adopting from a rescue that has their dogs in foster homes. That way you're getting a dog from a foster "parent" who's lived with the dog for a while and can assess its temperament.
Lots of great ESS's out there! I know someone who fosters them.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
we have owned two springer spaniels, what lovely dogs , so much fun.

at the age of one ,our male did develop what our vet believed to be springer rage.
one day he would suddenly go and sit in the corner , back up against the wall, low growl
etc, he never did come after anybody because we caught onto it early.

mind you , this was 20 years ago, I immediately took him to our vet
who had just read about rage syndrome while updating his education.
his suggestion was to neuter him asap, and put him on a 21 day course of female
hormones. if that did not work there was only on other option, pts.

it did the trick, he lived to the age of 14 and was the absolute best little pup,
ever.

having said that , the vet did not have a test to check for rage , only behavioral signs.

hopefully treatment of this bizarre disease has come a long way since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs