Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,111 times

Advertisements

I'm getting tons of brown spots in my yard from Bella's tinkle. I was looking at the pills in Petsmart last night. Are these really ok to give to your dog? I would love not to have the brown spots in the yard but if they in anyway could harm her then forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,663 times
Thanks for posting this question! Just this morning when I took my dog outside I wondered when my husband was going to say something to me about the dog pee brown spots.

I know my holistic vet would nix this, but I too would love an answer to the question you've asked.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Why on earth would you give your dog pills that will effect your dog's body chemistry?

Cancer in humans has been linked to the body's ph balance... as well as many other illnesses and maladies.

All you need to do is buy some Hydrated Lime and sprinkle it on the brown spots on your lawn. That will neutralize the acidity of these spots and the grass will come back.

It's not a one-time application but it's much better than giving your dog pills or changing their diet....

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-15-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
I would never use this, but then I'm particular what goes into my dog's body. Do you really want to alter the pH of your dog's urine? That's essentially what these pills will do and pH is not the cause of grass staining. Upset the delicate balance of the kidneys?

Just water down the place where your dog goes each time, or train to go on gravel or another spot. I point to where I want mine to go and he always listens. Lately, it's been wood chips so that the grass can get some rest.

Dogs and a nice green lawn are usually mutually exclusive. I decided which one I wanted long ago, and live with it.

Here's a vet's point of view on the subject:

"As stated earlier, the pH of the urine has little or no effect on the urine damage to the lawn. The addition of acidifying agents, including nutritional supplements like D-I, Methionine (Methioform), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), or fruit juices will have no benefit for this problem and may predispose the dog to an increased incidence of certain bladder stones. Likewise, alkalinizing agents, including baking soda and potassium citrate can predispose to other types of bladder stones or infections. The addition of any of these supplements has enough potential to cause harm, with limited to no known benefit for the lawn, and are not recommended."

DOG-ON-IT LAWN PROBLEMS

Old 05-15-2010, 10:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I agree with everyone that I would not give my dog any unnecessary pills to keep the grass from turning brown. My dogs' health is more important than how the grass looks. Lucy has mild liver issues and therefore more prone to UII's . . .so would never consider something that could impact her kidneys.

For some reason, I don't seem to have that problem with the grass turning.

Now the holes in the yard . . that's another story. I don't think there are pills for that!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Default Do you have a Mole dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree with everyone that I would not give my dog any unnecessary pills to keep the grass from turning brown. My dogs' health is more important than how the grass looks. Lucy has mild liver issues and therefore more prone to UII's . . .so would never consider something that could impact her kidneys.

For some reason, I don't seem to have that problem with the grass turning.

Now the holes in the yard . . that's another story. I don't think there are pills for that!
My dog thinks he's a Mole Miner...

We'll be out walking and all of the sudden he'll start digging. He's on a mission when this happens...

I've got some craters!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
It is just grass....

Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Maybe Valium...

Old 05-15-2010, 11:40 AM

BTW - if you do decide to try Hydrated Lime, you should water it into the spots when you sprinkle it on there.

You don't want your dog walking in the powder or sniffing it in...

Here's what Wikipedia says about Hydrated Lime. I know Wikipedia is not the last word or perfect authority but it does list all of the things it's used for... other than gardening.

Calcium hydroxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you Google "dog brown spot lime" you can find much more about using it for your lawn...

Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
What kind of food are you feeding? Once we started feeding a high quality food....the rings stopped! And I had 2 going in one spot for the longest time. Mia would squat, and then Dylan would have to cover it with his.(Alpha that he was). No brown spots at all in our yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs