Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,025 times

Advertisements

Saturday AM my Golden was not his normal self or under my feet. Checked on him and his ear was swollen up like a T bone steak. Got to the vet at 10 AM red swollen ear, high fever very lethargic. THe dog tested positive for lymes and another tick born illness. Left the dog at the vets on fluids, pain meds and something for his fever. Picked the dog up at 6 and half his face was nothing but a red swollen ozzy mess. This dogs face was fine at 10 AM. I was shocked to see how quickly a hot spot could spread and thought for sure he had some horrible mange vs a hot spot. Googled hot spots and sure enough the article showed a Golden that could have been mine. I thought for sure I was dealing with some kind of monster dog flesh eating bacteria, well I guess I was in reality. I've had dogs all my life but never experienced this before. I am also amazed that as quickly as it came on, 2 days later it looks 95% better.

Keep an eye on your dogs!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
We had just given our GR a bath and there was not a problem on her at the time. Two days later, she had a hot spot on the side of her head, just below the ear. It may have developed earlier, but that's when we noticed it. She had to wear the cone of shame as she rubbed it raw after the second treatment. It looks much better now.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Same here, mine rolled in Poochie Perfume (dead animal stink) earlier in the week and I washed it off not thinking twice. He probably had some tiny cut that allowed the Perfume bacteria to enter his system. Chevy's was exactly where you dogs was.........

Good news was today he picked up his ball! I know he's feeling better.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,967,143 times
Last week my Shepherd developed hot spots on his belly, and what could be called his front arm pit.
I swabbed them with coconut oil, and a day later they were gone.
Bob.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Bichons are known for skin problems and Lucy had "hot spots" all over her hips and tail. She licked herself raw till the back half of her was actually pink. I tried all manner of treatments for hot spots-took her to the vet a few times, etc. Still the same. Finally it dawned on me she might have allergies- not to grass or fleas or insects but to her food. We got her on a premium no grain food and it cleared up in no time and she has been skin-problem free for a few years now.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM

no kudzu, I have a friend whose dog stunk to the point it wasn't pleasant to have in the home (they still did, loved dog). Turned out the dog had allergies to food and that was causing the stink. New food no more stink! Is it wheat that caused your dogs allergy?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
no kudzu, I have a friend whose dog stunk to the point it wasn't pleasant to have in the home (they still did, loved dog). Turned out the dog had allergies to food and that was causing the stink. New food no more stink! Is it wheat that caused your dogs allergy?
Corn and soy are bad for them too and can cause allergies, it's in a lot of the treats too. Thankfully mine havent had any hot spots or skin problems, not sure if it was the food or just luck or a combination of both but that's not to say they never will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs