Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 03:32 PM

13 posts, read 46,647 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been reading through this forum for a while now (good info)...but i need a little help...I rescued a puppy about a month ago, but the more it grows, the more i wonder what his breed is...can anyone help me with some ideas as to what it could be (I know it won't be 100%)...I would like to avoid health issues when its older...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Rescued Puppy Breed Help-1img00004-20100213-1325.jpg   Rescued Puppy Breed Help-2img00035-20100222-2210.jpg   Rescued Puppy Breed Help-3img00005-20100318-1743.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,239,610 times
Sorry. Can't help. All I see is "totally cute."

He looks really young -- you didn't say how old he was when you adopted him a month ago -- so I'm thinking that the breed's characteristics (whatever they may be) will only come out when he's a bit older.

Whatever he is, though, he sure is adorable.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,504,216 times
First thought was lab / beagle. But at that age its so hard to tell. As he ages you'll see so many changes in him. I wouldn't even bother trying to nail down a mix at this point. Just enjoy the puppy stage. It doesn't last long but it's adorable and completely exhausting!

Old 03-21-2010, 04:16 PM

The first picture was before we rescued the pup...the lady said it was a black lab mix...but as it got older its turning a little bit brown...they also said it was 2 months when I picked Onyx up, but he looked too young to be 8 weeks old...i would say hes about 10 weeks old now...

In a few months I think I would be able to see what he has in him, im just a little impatient I guess...

Sometimes hes an angel, and other days hes terrible...but looks adorable both times...my fiance can't stay mad at him for more than 15 seconds...

Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,484,672 times
I'm guessing lab/shep mix simply b/c it looks like his ears are starting to stand in the last pic - am assuming he's on the large side for his age. Cute looking pup.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM

5,053 posts, read 10,794,831 times
Very, very cute--thanks for posting the pics
As others have stated, it's very hard to tell at such a young age, although I am certain that he's a black lab mix; I'm just not certain what he's mixed with.
My thoughts are either GSD or pitbull/terrier.
In either case, the only health issue will be that he will have a tendency towards excessive weight gain, which means that you will have to monitor his food intake, especially in his middle and senior years (but not when he's a pup or adolescent).
Best of luck with him, he's adorable!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Thanks

I took the puppy to the dog park so he can run around a little bit, and a few people mentioned they thought he had some pit in him...now i didn't notice this until he started running, he kinda/sorta may have a little pit...but when I look at the pictures I posted, I don't see it...

His ears are starting to stand up...

I was thinking of getting one of those DNA kits they have, but have heard mix reviews...

Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM

5,053 posts, read 10,794,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonix View Post
Thanks

I took the puppy to the dog park so he can run around a little bit, and a few people mentioned they thought he had some pit in him...now i didn't notice this until he started running, he kinda/sorta may have a little pit...but when I look at the pictures I posted, I don't see it...

His ears are starting to stand up...

I was thinking of getting one of those DNA kits they have, but have heard mix reviews...
Yeah, I wouldn't bother; they are expensive and not accurate. Save the money and buy him toys, especially ones he can chew; it might save you from spending money on new furniture

Also, if it does end up that he's got some pitty in him, I would consider a harness instead of a leash. Pitties--even mixes--are incredibly strong and have a tendency to pull. Everyone I know who has a pitty/pitty mix has a harness, and they really are a great option for dog and owner. From what I could see in the pics, he looks like he will be stockily built so I think a harness will make life much easier for you.

Best of luck with him, he is such a cutie. And please post updates!!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Thats what I've been reading, so I didn't want to spend the money and a dart board guess...I buy him a new toy about every week...he hasnt tried biting my furniture, but seems to go after my phone chargers...and socks, but not my shoes (knock on wood)...

Ill update pics of him every other week...I want to see his growth...i didn't think he was bigger until i saw his baby pics and realized how much he's grown...lol...

Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Hello everyone, just wanted to upload a few more pictures of my pup...hes getting so big...how time flies...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs