Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 PM

29 posts, read 243,482 times

Advertisements

At what age will it be impossible to teach "an old dog new tricks?"

The reason for my questions is that if I was to adopt an old Labrador, will I still be able to train it to be obedience? Given that it's probably received very little training coming from a local shelter and all.

What if I want to give at advance training, like for hunting? It's not likely that I will go that far. But "if" i decide to do so, is it still possible? say, the dog is 6 yr old?

Thanks!

I will buy a book and read all about Labrador before I adopt, but I just want to get some personal opinion/experience from you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonewton View Post

The reason for my questions is that if I was to adopt an old Labrador, will I still be able to train it to be obedience? Given that it's probably received very little training coming from a local shelter and all.

What if I want to give at advance training, like for hunting? It's not likely that I will go that far. But "if" i decide to do so, is it still possible? say, the dog is 6 yr old?

Thanks!

I will buy a book and read all about Labrador before I adopt, but I just want to get some personal opinion/experience from you guys
Sigh.....that old wives tale again. Dogs are never too old to learn. We rescued a Chocolate Lab that was over 6 1/2 when we got him. He was not house broken had never been a house dog and didn't know even basic obedience commands (Site, stay, etc). He also turned out to be one of the best dogs I ever have had the pleasure of knowing. It only took him about a week to have house training down and in a little less than a month he knew all of his basic command plus a few more! He was my Bandit and we just had to put him to sleep this last fall. He was 15 1/2. Don't let age stop you. A lot of times its the older ones that make the best pets. They are so grateful!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
a dog is NEVER too old to learn new things ...... my cattle dog mix girl is 5 and is STILL learning ......

labs are intelligent dogs and routine training strengthens and deepens the bond your dog has with you..... particularly if "training" is made fun......

fwiw ..... my brother trained his labs using a book called "water dog" .... it would be an older book now, but seemed to be a GREAT guide for training your hunting dog...... ..... even if you never use the dog for hunting.......

Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
My Golden Dylan is 8 and still learns new things (tricks).
Taking him to a basic obedience class would be helpful to you both, if you have no experience in training.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Learning Not the problem...but for future hunting dog [no matter the age] have him/her tested for gun shyness. Unless you bow hunt LOL

Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Quote:
Ditto on the fact that it is never too late. Ever, ever, ever.

I had a dog who I got when she was a little over 15 years old. Up to that point, she had spent her entire life in a cramped school bus with dozens of other dogs and cats. Disgustingly filthy, at that.

House training: luckily she was a naturally clean dog. She had a couple of three accidents, but that's it. She learned sit, heel and lay down (routine, always before getting fed)....all mastered within a week. [OK, I had help from a trainer!]

Six years old? That's nothing! I'm thinking there still might be a lot of puppy in the critter ~ Don't know about the hunting issue, but I agree - rescued older dogs seems so much more appreciative. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 PM

29 posts, read 243,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Learning Not the problem...but for future hunting dog [no matter the age] have him/her tested for gun shyness. Unless you bow hunt LOL
Well, not gonna rule out bow hunting someone got to pick up the arrow when i miss, heheh j/k.

Well, so far, it's very reassuring to know that I can adopt without limitation. Prior to joining this board, I was really fixed on purchasing a puppy from a breeder. But now, I much rather rescue one

Old 03-18-2010, 06:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I agree a dog is never too old to learn. Years ago when Jazz, Dash and I would go visit my parents I would often take some agility equipment as they had a nice flat grassy front yard. They had a 10 yr old dog Taffy that would come out and watch Jazz and Dash and then come rushing at me as if asking " Can you teach me too?" I did teach her and she was always such a joy to watch mind you I only had a tunnel, some jumps and weave poles with me but after learning them she would do what ever little course I set up then trot around so proud of herself. She also learned all the tricks they knew so was then included in my competitions where I would give a command like Roll over and the first dog to do it got the treat.It was always fun as it was like they understood to get that treat you had to be fast and beat the other two. Taffy won her fair share of times despite not having learned the tricks until late in life. The fact she was older did not seem to effect her ability to learn at a fast pace at all. Once she knew all the tricks she loved to show off for people which was just too cute from an older dog.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Quote:
Well, not gonna rule out bow hunting someone got to pick up the arrow when i miss, heheh j/k.

Well, so far, it's very reassuring to know that I can adopt without limitation. Prior to joining this board, I was really fixed on purchasing a puppy from a breeder. But now, I much rather rescue one
I'm thrilled that you are going with rescue. Let us now when you have your new buddy....and post pics....we love pics

Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,488 times
Quote:

I am so happy you are going the rescue route. I know you'll find a great companion. I also have older dogs who are still learning new tricks.

There is a lot of good advice from the posters in this forum, and also recommendations for books on training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs