Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,294 times

Advertisements

I have a chocolate female 14 yrs old, and she's really slowing down. She sleeps for most of the day and cant make it up the stairs anymore, I have to carry her up to go to bed. How much longer do you think she has until I have to do the unthinkable? I don't think labs live to much beyond 14 yrs though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
This helps our lab. Arthogen for dogs. It was like night and day.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
I have a 12 yr. old yellow lab who is beginning to have rear-end balance problems and kidney failure.
Our labs when I was growing up never lived past 10 yrs. old so already I feel I've been blessed with extra years. I think the higher quality food has something to do with it.

Sorry to hear your old gal is slowing down so much. The day may come or she may pass quietly in her sleep without pain. Our big dogs are with us for such a short time. They learn the lesson of loving unconditionally and use themselves up loving and pleasing us during their short time on this earth. I hope I can come back to this earth as a lab with "happy tail".

Old 12-20-2009, 08:50 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I have a chocolate female 14 yrs old, and she's really slowing down. She sleeps for most of the day and cant make it up the stairs anymore, I have to carry her up to go to bed. How much longer do you think she has until I have to do the unthinkable? I don't think labs live to much beyond 14 yrs though...
It will depend a lot on you and what steps you are willing to take to help your girl (and it looks like you are willing to do a lot). Take her to the vet and see what meds are available that can help her. In October we had to PTS our very dear Choc Lab Bandit. He was over 15, almost 16 and let us know that it was time. You seem to know your girl very well and I think she will let you know when its time too. Hugs to you and your sweet girl.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,368 times
My experience is with goldens, but they are about the same size as labs. My aunt decided to put her golden, Shadow, down when she began falling down Shadow had arthritis & started to have a very hard time getting down the deck stairs to go potty, but then she just got to where she would fall down while walking. It was sad My aunt could tell that life was not enjoyable for Shadow anymore, it was time to let go. My dad's golden, Shiloh (Shadow's brother) is slowing down as well. He has to be carried up and down stairs and sometimes needs help to get up on the bed. He's blind and def as well. But he still seems very much "alive"... he still wags his whole body & tried to jump up & wants to play. Still, I know his day can't be too far off. He's around 15. I think you will know when the time comes... It's so hard to watch them grow old... Best wishes to you & your four legged friend...

Old 12-21-2009, 02:12 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,108 times
I have raised Labs all my adult life and they don't live much past 13, so I believe you are fortunate to have had a few extra years with your dog. They are lovely, loving companions, these Labs.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,870 times
ours was 13

Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,294 times
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, she is indeed a special girl. Unfortunately she is going blind and very hard of hearing, but still goes ballistic and wiggles her whole body when I come home. The hardest part is that she was my first dog, it will be tough to let her go.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:24 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
My heart breaks for you for having to go through this unbelievably difficult time with your girl, and for the decision that you feel is coming.

No matter what happens, remember the good times -- that's what she's going to do as well.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
My grandfather had a black lab that hung on until after her 17th birthday. She was like a gray-haired puppy at 11, became significantly limited around 13 and was almost immobile about a year later. She always smiled and solicited belly rubs, kept a healthy appetite and had good teeth for a dog her age but she had used up all of her "spritely". She managed to hang in there for quite a while after everyone thought she was about to kick the bucket.

She will let you know when she doesn't want to keep going, but don't be surprised if she hangs on for a while. You may have a lab from the deep end of the gene pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs