Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times

Advertisements

Angel wants her pills, if she doesn't get them on time she will let us know. Of course, they are followed by a major treat.

Bear has never had a med. I think he always wanted what she had, until he got it.

He just has four more days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:21 AM

48,165 posts, read 22,022,438 times
Oh When "little sister" Cricket was getting a daily med....usually in a piece of hot dog...McKenzie had to get "her" medicine (plain piece of hot dog) but when it started holding her real pill she learned to extract the pill and spit it out or test it...then gag.... and spit the whole thing out! That was when the pill pockets came into play. She would "wolf them down" and never caught on.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,318,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
pilling a dog is pretty easy compared to a cat
My photobucket isn't working at the moment, so here's an apt link:
http://www.marriedtothesea.com/02101...-heartworm.gif

Cracks me up.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,296,444 times
My Bulldog is quite special when it comes to swallowing pills. He will not eat his food if I put fish oil in it, so I got the pills instead. Normally, I'd wrap pills in ham, but since this is a daily thing, I don't want him ingesting all that ham. So, I put it in his food and hoped for the best. The first night, he was very hungry and devoured his food and pill, without noticing the pill. The second night? He found the pill among the kibble and became very dramatic, choking and coughing and spit the pill out and left it on the floor. He gave me the dirtiest look and went back to eating. So, we are back to using a treat with the pill, followed quickly by another treat so that he has no time to spit it out. Yes, my boy is quite special!

Oh, and I tried blowing in his face, since this trick works very well for infants. He looked at me like I was deranged and tried to lick my face. So, no blowing on this boy!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Bear is on a med. He has some skin problems.

I was having a hard time giving him the pills. Our vet told me put them as far back in his mouth as I could.

The hold his mouth closed and blow in his face, he would swallow.

He did!!!! Three days now!!!!
Gently rubbing/scratching the chin down the neck will also encourage my dog to swallow his pills (antibiotics). I've never tried the blow in the face method. Really I just need to get to the store to buy more liverworst to conceal the pills in so he thinks he's getting a special treat.

This fish oil pill I found that dissolved in a bit of hot water and poured over the food, stir into a gravy, works fine for my lab whou would otherwise eat the kibble and leave the fish oil pill behind.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 AM

827 posts, read 3,096,330 times
I know someone else already recommended pill pockets. I totally agree. My kitty needs to take a blood pressure pill every day for years and we use pill pockets. He loves his pill time! He thinks he's getting a treat. LOL. I'd say totally try them. Usually animals think it's a treat. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,381,331 times
When peanut butter and cheese both stopped working I went to liverwurst for a dog on long term meds. That worked fine all the way to the end of life. Sometimes I would be extra nice and give all the other dogs a smidge of it, but mostly they just got a small biscuit.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Awww, I'm sorry that Bear has to take icky pills!

If the trick stops working, I have a few other tricks that you can try:

1. The pill squished deep into a gob of peanut butter. Artie eats the entire gob in one shot, so the pill is in his belly in seconds.

2. Pill Pockets. They *apparently* taste like chicken. Artie loves 'em. It's a little pocket of "chicken"-flavored goop, you put the pill in the pocket, seal it, and your guy will just suck down the whole pocket, pill included.
works like a charm for dave .... he is so lanky and slithery, throwing one down his throat and then holding his mouth shut was an absolute exercise in futility......

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I had a dog who had to take a large anti-biotic pill with meals for a period of days....the peanut butter and the hot dogs couldnt mask the bitter taste...and the dog not only was refusing treats but was so suspicious of dinner....that it had pretty much stopped eating......I got Greenies pill pockets....and instantly solved the problem! They are pretty expensive.....but well worth it. My dog stopped fearing its food and stopped being suspicious of me offering treats. Everything is back to normal.....and normal is all about Love and Trust.
i'm chuckling at the idea of a dog being suspicious of his dinner..... although at the time, i can imagine it was no laughing matter.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I have yet to meet a dog that wouldn't eat a pill so long as it was surrounded by cheese or butter. Placing the pill on the back of my dog's tongue has never worked for me. In spite of my best efforts, he just will not accept having his mouth held shut and seems to have an amazingly dexterous tongue.
yep.... thats davey-long-legs too......

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Oh When "little sister" Cricket was getting a daily med....usually in a piece of hot dog...McKenzie had to get "her" medicine (plain piece of hot dog) but when it started holding her real pill she learned to extract the pill and spit it out or test it...then gag.... and spit the whole thing out! That was when the pill pockets came into play. She would "wolf them down" and never caught on.

would have to do the same thing with bailey..... swiped dave's pill through some peanut butter (the dogs have their own jar) and he would scarf the pb and pill right off my finger..... then of course, bailey had to have some.... same drill, just no pill in the peanut butter........

Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
My Layla would sit there with me holding her mouth shut, stroking her throat, lightly tapping her throat - 5 min later when I was convinced she had swallowed, out came the pill. Pill Pockets are amazing. All 3 of my dogs "need" their treat, so one gets his pill in a pocket and I split another one so the other 2 get a treat also. A bit expensive but VERY easy to use.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM

511 posts, read 2,200,495 times
My dad's dogs both need daily meds for seizures... He puts a little dab of (cold) bacon grease on a piece of bread & pushes the pill inside. It's the only way they'll take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs