Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:16 AM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times

Advertisements

Heartgard is a beef based chew...is your dog allergic to beef? You can try interceptor which guards against heartworms as well as other intestinal parasites (hooks, tapes, rounds) it's still a chewable, but it's a smaller hard tablet. You can also try Advantage Multi, it's new and protects for heartworms and the intestinal parasites as well as fleas, but not ticks. Advantage Multi is a topical like frontline or revolution. I would not recommend skipping heartworm prevention no matter the age of the dog, I would suggest finding something that works for her without making her sick. Heartworms are no fun and nothing to mess with. In dogs they can be treated, but you have to seriously limit activity until they are taken care of, and if you don't treat them, the dog will die. All it takes is one mosquito and not being on prevention....

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 11:26 AM

409 posts, read 2,782,588 times
yuk, all this worm talk. yes i could see the little white things. it was just awful. one pill from the vet and it was gone. australia are way ahead of us on meds and started me ones that kill everything. used to be 1/2 price, now they add $14 shipping since 9-11 for security. still cheaper, but not like before. i deal with a small vet hospital, doctor is very nice and always answers questions even tho no office visit.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:50 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Our babies get Heartguard once a month. No adverse affects.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:54 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,267 times
Many dogs are sensitive to Ivermectin, and it can cause seizures and a host of other problems. Interceptor does not contain Ivermectin.

Also, FWIW, the legitimate mftrs of HW preventive meds (yes, there are fraudulent HW meds being sold online) *guarantee* the meds IF you receive them from a Vet. That means that if your dog/cat gets heartworm disease while on meds rec'd from your Vet, the mftr will pay for treatment. Not so if you buy the meds online. Also, it's VERY DANGEROUS to start dosing with HW preventives UNLESS the dog/cat has been tested & found to be HW-negative within 30 days prior to 1st dose. Reason = if HWs are present, the 1st dose will start killing the HWs & if 1 were to dislodge it could kill the animal.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:50 PM

409 posts, read 2,782,588 times
on heartguard which was simple to dose, she got intestinal worms and this australian vet gave her this guardian chews. says they are way ahead of us becaue they have more fleas and ticks there. that's the only reason i switched, it was awful to see. now, maybe by coincidence, she gets sick or diarreah the week of the meds. i'm at a loss.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,417 times
Question In reply to Heatworm treatments for dogs

To Turtle who recommended trying Advantage Multi, (called Advocate in Australia) this is risky advice as, very importantly, it does not treat Tapeworms at all. It sounds so great because it describes itself as treating worms, fleas & heartworm, but tapeworms will takeover if treatment is neglected in a formula. My cats have been suffering for 3 months until I realised my mistake. I know Praziquantel is a frequent ingredient for Tapeworms, but Advantage Multi doesn't have any ingredient for Tapeworms. Be careful everyone. I've been seeing these specks prolific in faeces and didn't know why until I retraced my steps to Advocate & realised. I'm going to contact company because animals are suffering. I can't remember if they say the exclusion of Tapeworms on packaging or advertisers do, but with Tapeworms, the specks are the Tapeworms' bodies breaking up, I've read. Luckily I believed the specks must be worm related. I thought I was looking at eggs, but it wasn't.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Tapeworms are from fleas. Get your dog treated for the tapeworms, and fleas. If the Advantage isn't working for fleas in your area, try a different product that may be more effective in your area.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Tapeworms are from fleas. Get your dog treated for the tapeworms, and fleas. If the Advantage isn't working for fleas in your area, try a different product that may be more effective in your area.
We were in AL and the vet told the lady that her dog did not have fleas but that even grabbing a blade of grass, the dog could pick up a flea from that and ingest it.

Our older dog got sick from any heartworm med. We kept Bio-Spot on her in the south and it worked and she at 75 lbs lived almost 14 years with good health. Now, heartworm is rare here and we have an inside dog. I can't even remember the last time I had a mosquito bite and the dog only goes out when I do and is protected by a heavy coat when she does. Not all mosquitoes carry this and even when they do and bite the dog, the dog doesn't necessarily become infected. Everyone should really discuss the options and what precautions should be taken with their vet and if opposed to some of the meds, let them know you need alternatives.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Sound like you need to talk to your vet. Let him/her know whats happening. Only the vet can test to see whats really going on. Good Luck!!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
since your dog had a reaction to a product containing ivermectin id go with inteceptor or any of the other NONE ivermectin based heartworm preventatives, many dogs are sensitive to ivermectin so if one ivermectin based caused vomiting, id steer clear of al ivermectin based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs