Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following do you leash your Dog with?
Collar 10 43.48%
Choke Chain 3 13.04%
Harness 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Which of the three do you use to leash your dog with

Harness

Choke Chain

Collar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:26 PM

550 posts, read 2,824,937 times
Choke chains are mean! IMO.

Harness would work but his collar has always worked.

Now leashes, that is a whole other story! Thick, very thick.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Which of the three do you use to leash your dog with

Harness

Choke Chain

Collar
I use collars on both of mine.
Choke chains I don't believe in, sorry.
Harness broke using it....lol.
I will, however, use a training collar on my shepherd, because I know him and how he gets. And, with his 95 pounds would mop the floor with me...lol.
He's not aggressive AT ALL, just way to friendly, and wants to play with everything and everybody!!!
He has to learn manners....huh.....

Old 05-22-2007, 09:46 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
The dog I have now is very small AND hard of hearing so its imperative if she is out of the house that she be on a lead.

When she and the other Cavalier King Charles I had were younger, they would walk side by side, beside me perfectly so when we went on a walk in my neighborhood I didn't leash them.

At times when we were elsewhere they walked on something called a coupler, two collars were attached to the coupler and then the coupler attached to only one leash, this made it alot easier to walk them and they got used to walking next to each other...they were so cute and got so much attentin when we did that.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Well, while I chose collar, my options weren't listed. My female wears a prong collar when we're out walking. I've tried everything else and she's female aggressive so the prong keep her in check and it's only literally been used once when an idiot had his dog off lead My male wears a Gentle Leader as a prong or slip chain irritates his trachea as he was found with his skin growing over his collar that he outgrew and he is a handful. Didn't want to cause him anymore discomfort so went with head gear.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
I have smaller dogs and I find that harnesses work better on them
now when I had my cocker he had a collar with little puppy paws on it

Old 05-23-2007, 05:57 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
I'm told that a harness can cause shoulder damage over time, especially in a growing dog.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
I've been training / handling dogs for over 35 years. That being said I've always used a choke chain (stainless steel only). There is much mis-information about choke chains. Just the name "choke" scares many people. When used properly (length of collar and chain size) it is an effective way to control your dog. First off many people confuse a choke chain with a pinch collar which are two different items. Many people that use choke chains don't even know how to properly put them on their dogs. Most put the chain on backwards and it then does become a choke chain if there is constant pressure on the lead. When properly worn a choke collars lead ring should be hanging below the dogs neck. The collar should also be positioned high on the neck and close to the jaw. If you were to watch a dog show show you will notice that almost all of the dog handlers will position the collars in this fashion. If you form the letter "P" with the collar you place it over the dogs head maintaining the "P" as your looking at the dog from the front. If your dog is properly trained and walks at heel (on your left and a step behind) the choke collar is the best tool. Like I said when properly sized it will prevent your dog from pulling out and when properly used it is the perfect correction device. The bottom line is it's not the collar but they way people use them. As for leads I make my own. Mine are 6 feet long with a slip ring and stay ring and two clips which enables me to open to 12 feet. As far as nylon or leather collars it's been my experience that unless it's perfectly fitted there is a risk of the dog pulling out (and many people again don't fit them properly). This is my personal experience but will add this. If your dog is properly trained you wouldn't need anything more than a voice command to control your dog and a collar would not be necessary at all.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:42 AM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times
I harness my American Eskimo mix when I walk him, he can get a little rowdy and he is such a beautiful small fluffy dog, many people including children want to pet him and he is way to protective to let unknown people near him, so keeping him in check is easier when he is harnessed. My Lab/ Border collie mix, Yorkie Mix, and Sheltie Pomeranian Mix use collars when walking. All the dogs wear harnesses attached to special seats that are seat belted in when we go out in my truck. I have a dreaded fear of them flying out the window in an accident.
I take off the harness when they are home or in the yard, but leave a collar with thier ID on.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:13 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
The first time AJ wriggled out of his collar while going for a walk, I went straight to the store to get harnesses. I couldn't find the right size for them, so I got a larger one, adjusted & sewed it to fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs