Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following do you leash your Dog with?
Collar 10 43.48%
Choke Chain 3 13.04%
Harness 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times

Advertisements

Choke chains are great for training, but for general walking I wouldnt use it. I use a collar currently, but I have to go to my old house that i moved out of in Nov and get the harness i bought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,916,808 times
I love harnesses. That way I don't yank on his neck, plus he looks so cute in his little red harness!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,169,326 times
I have two dogs. One big, one small. The big dog gets one of those collars that is partially cloth but it has a stainless steel piece connection that "elasticizes"? and acts ALMOST as a choke collar. I forget what they're called but it works fine with him. My little dog has to have a harness. Some of you know that he is "overweight" and his head comes out of a regular collar and he's scared the chitt chitt out of me when that's happened, so harness for him!

When I had the rotty, we had a choke collar to walk her and the first thing we were taught (dog was professionally trained) was how it had to be put on and where it should be when walking her (she was 125 lbs!). She always had to be on our left and one step behind. When we stopped, she stopped and sat until one of our feet moved again. She was human.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,480,982 times
It's interesting reading the comments about choke chains.....I never thought of them as cruel, it's what I've always used.

Of course, the size of the dog matters, and my dogs are stocky & muscular and on the large side (70+ lbs each).

I use a choke chain collar (non-prong) and a very short thick leash with a tension spring.

I have used the prong collar when my female was young - she was, and still is, a real handful and very powerful for her size.

The choke chain collar is ONLY used in walking, it comes off immediately once we are back inside.

My dogs don't seem to mind it at all, it's usually lax when we walk.

I do have a big pet peeve with those retractable leashes though - dogs on those leashes are never under control of their owners. They actually are not legal in Jacksonville - your leash has to be no longer than 6 feet and these retractables do not fit that requirement (doesn't stop the pet stores from selling them though).

Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
I think it depends on the dog the owners correct useage. me I train for total voice control...leash laws suck. to obey the laws cat collar & a long kite string!!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,758 times
I have always used choke chains up until a few months ago. After wearing the same chain most of her 12 years my dog somehow got her front leg in her collar TWICE! I have no idea how, as the collar was not that loose, and it's almost impossible to force her leg into that posistion! So, no more chain for her, she has a nice little black collar with reflective pawprints!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,636,635 times
Both my dog wear collars so they have their ID, Rabies tags and dog license tag. I have used choke chains (not pinch collars) in the past but prefer not too. As one responder noted not many know how to put them on correctly or use them properly. In my case, even properly fitted, because of my dogs coats, they slide down and are of no use.

Harnesses are made for pulling and both of my 70+ pound dogs do not need to pull.

I prefer head collars. The Halti is my favorite, it is like a horse halter. Works the same (without a bit in their mouth) the body follows the head and is a gentle leader. It immediately stops any size dog from pulling. I absolutely recommend it for dogs that pull. The other feature I like is that it connects to their collar, so if by chance they wiggle out (if fitted properly this will not happen) you are still connected to the dog and can get the Halti back on. It can also act as a muzzle if the need arises. It is a great tool. (Side note, I just purchased the size four (4) for my Dogue de Bordeaux (wide muzzle and huge neck, the strap that goes over the nose is padded. LOVE IT! The size three(s) that I have purchased in the past have not been padded. I do not know if this is a new feature they have added or just on the larger sizes (four and five) but it is a great idea!)

I have used the size three on last four dogs: Am Staff, Border Collie, White Shepherd/Cattle dog and American Bulldog. Of course, last one I bought was three years ago, so...

I also use the Gentle Leader with my large dogs. It works great and like the Halti, the body will follow the head.

I give the Halti and Gentle Leader 4 paws up!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
Sam wore a collar, a fancy one with his name and our number embroidered in it. Check the Orvis catalog.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
My goodness how things change.......

I am sure I voted way different than life is with Rip.

He has collars...GPS, pronged choke collar and a shock collar.

He need them all from time to time.

Rip was in a 21.6 mile chase behind a bear this weekend. They finally got the bear treed.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,853,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I've been training / handling dogs for over 35 years. That being said I've always used a choke chain (stainless steel only). There is much mis-information about choke chains. Just the name "choke" scares many people. When used properly (length of collar and chain size) it is an effective way to control your dog. First off many people confuse a choke chain with a pinch collar which are two different items. Many people that use choke chains don't even know how to properly put them on their dogs. Most put the chain on backwards and it then does become a choke chain if there is constant pressure on the lead. When properly worn a choke collars lead ring should be hanging below the dogs neck. The collar should also be positioned high on the neck and close to the jaw. If you were to watch a dog show show you will notice that almost all of the dog handlers will position the collars in this fashion. If you form the letter "P" with the collar you place it over the dogs head maintaining the "P" as your looking at the dog from the front. If your dog is properly trained and walks at heel (on your left and a step behind) the choke collar is the best tool. Like I said when properly sized it will prevent your dog from pulling out and when properly used it is the perfect correction device. The bottom line is it's not the collar but they way people use them. As for leads I make my own. Mine are 6 feet long with a slip ring and stay ring and two clips which enables me to open to 12 feet. As far as nylon or leather collars it's been my experience that unless it's perfectly fitted there is a risk of the dog pulling out (and many people again don't fit them properly). This is my personal experience but will add this. If your dog is properly trained you wouldn't need anything more than a voice command to control your dog and a collar would not be necessary at all.

I am a choke chain gal. My dogs are trained with them and my mix GSD always wears hers. Choke chains IMO are only horrible when improperly used. I have used a haltie..(on a past GSD).... worked to some extent but I get better results with the chain with my current dog. In fact learned how to train with a choke chain since I was child. I was taught by military dog trainers. Local base with military dogs held weekly dog training classes for civilians back then. It was great!

I don't like the harnesses unless in a car for safety or a little dog that can slip out of collar or head gear. Don't like halties for little dogs. Just to hard to use properly.

Leashes... I have everything from nylon to leather even have a macrame one someplace. have had dogs all my life and most all the leashes themselves are still in good shape of the years. I still get new ones for new dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs