Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 AM

84 posts, read 196,322 times

Advertisements

I went to the vet today because of the dog limping from the rear right leg. I took it two years ago for this problem and it was given some type of medication that got rid of the pain the but limping still continued, but not as much as before so last week it jumped on the rocking chair and fell and then from now on it no longer runs forward and jumps on it, it has to jump on it from a side. The vet said something about the knee part that is called luxating patella and he gave me medication for the pain. He told me that surgery for it will be $600 and that the surgery procedure will last about 45 minutes and that it will take about 6 weeks for the dog to start healing. My dog is mixed terrier and is 6 yrs old (human yrs).

Questions:
Anyone here who has a dog that had the same problem with the knee (luxating patella) and had surgery? How much did it cost? How long did it take to heal and can it walk normal now and run as much as it can without getting injured? Did you have to give it some type of medication treatment during the time to heal? If so, what is it called?

Is there something that I'm suppose to know about this surgery procedure, like is there something that would cause some type of negative effects on the dog?

Please give me as much as advice and information about this surgery.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,439,364 times
Sorry your dog has luxating patella, cost varies from area to area and from vet to vet. A board-certified orthopedist probably w/b your best bet but if you can find an experienced vet who's done the surgery many times, you might want to consider that (and it might cost less). Truthfully though, $600 sounds pretty darn cheap, not sure what you're getting for that though. I have no personal experience w/ it but would think your dog w/b absolutely fine after but would prob. do limited exercise w/ him - no doubt the surgeon will give you specific info on recuperation, recovery etc. Best of luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:20 AM

380 posts, read 1,230,882 times
I pray that your dogs gets better. I think any kind of surgery is worth it... Im sure you love your dog. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:29 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,057,725 times
It's a common problem. Here's an article that will answer most of your questions.

Luxating Patella: A Knee Problem in Dogs

Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,126,923 times
I personally haven't had a dog go thru this surgery, but do have two Boston Terriers who are prone to luxating patellas. I belong to a BT forum and have seen/read of many who've gone thru the surgery and been better than new afterwards. Yes, the recovery is 6-8 weeks with limited activity. And, the price you quoted seems on the low side from most I've seen - in fact, most run $1000 to $1200 per leg.

Good luck - in the meantime, you can give him Cosequin DS (supplement) to help until the surgery can be done. It's a glucosamine/chondroitan supplement.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:15 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,383,340 times
Small breed dogs are prone to this. There are 4 grades. Usually Grade 3 and 4 require surgery. Grades 1 and 2 can be managed with pain meds. Sometimes it doesn't even bother the dog. My neighbor also gives her dog a glucosamine/chondroiton supplement. Wellness dog food has a brand that has those 2 supplements in their natural form. I feed my dog that type due to him being prone to this. If he isn't in pain, I would think twice about the surgery, unless it got too bad.

Oh and don't let him jump any more--I know--easier said than done, but be careful of him jumping off rocking chairs, couches, beds, etc... Be careful with stairs as well.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 AM

178 posts, read 412,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuljago View Post
I went to the vet today because of the dog limping from the rear right leg. I took it two years ago for this problem and it was given some type of medication that got rid of the pain the but limping still continued, but not as much as before so last week it jumped on the rocking chair and fell and then from now on it no longer runs forward and jumps on it, it has to jump on it from a side. The vet said something about the knee part that is called luxating patella and he gave me medication for the pain. He told me that surgery for it will be $600 and that the surgery procedure will last about 45 minutes and that it will take about 6 weeks for the dog to start healing. My dog is mixed terrier and is 6 yrs old (human yrs).

Questions:
Anyone here who has a dog that had the same problem with the knee (luxating patella) and had surgery? How much did it cost? How long did it take to heal and can it walk normal now and run as much as it can without getting injured? Did you have to give it some type of medication treatment during the time to heal? If so, what is it called?

Is there something that I'm suppose to know about this surgery procedure, like is there something that would cause some type of negative effects on the dog?

Please give me as much as advice and information about this surgery.

My little seven year old Shih Tzu had Luxating Patella surgery in September...Best thing that ever happened is doing this surgery.

She is llke a new dog, happy and running around all the time.

The cost of the surgery here in Southern California was over $1800...She did take some medication for pain and antibiotics to prevent infection for a week.

For a couple of weeks after the surgery she limped, but she eventually started walking on it a little more each day...After a month she didn't limp at all...She was back to normal again and felt great.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 20,374 times
So Sorry to hear about your pup ...I know you posted about 2 months ago but just wanted to give a bit of info if you have not had it done yet!

I am actually bringing my 9 month old puppy, Buddy Holly, home today!!! Yesterday he had luxating patella surgery done by an Orthopedic surgeon done on both knees. He is a Chow Chow- Lab Mix. From what I have learned and been told by the doctor's this is most common in small dogs but also in some types of large breeds. His right leg was a Level II+ and his left leg was a level III. For both knees it cost me a bit over $2000 dollars.

The doctor has told me all about the surgery and said Buddy did very well and feels he should be almost (if not) completely back to normal in a couple months. No guarantee but pain free and much better off. He will need to be crated, which he has never been before, so this will be the hard part. My Doctor told me the healing process depends on the dog, just like a human. He will def. need to be crated for the FULL 6 weeks just to avoid any accidents until he is fully healed. He of course will be out for potty breaks but must be on a short leash and supervised at all times. Once he is done, back in the crate. He then said about two weeks from now we will come back for a check up and to remove the stitches. He will also have a cone on for the first two weeks to avoid pulling the stitches out. They will be sending home pain meds. and antibiotics. Buddy will be on GLYCO-FLEX, glucosamine pills everyday for the rest of his life. I have found them on 1-800PetMeds for about $22 a bottle which will last Buddy about two months. He takes two a day.

I am VERY glad we got this surgery done and I don't even have him home yet! I don't want to see him suffer and the doctors have high hopes he will do great after his recovery. The only downside that came out of it for us is that Buddy does have Hip Dysplasia as well and will prob. need surgery for that but we may be able to hold off for quite a few months once we give him time to heal on this one. This is my husband and I's first dog and this came as quite a surprise and expense but we would do anything for him and our vet offered us something called CareCredit (which you must be approved for) but helps to make payments. Once he gets home today and a couple weeks have gone by I will let you know!

Hope this helps just a bit.

Jenn

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM

67 posts, read 165,506 times
Just to let you know, Care Credit has many complaints against it.
Care Credit Complaints
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs