Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM

28 posts, read 213,805 times

Advertisements

Thanks Lucknow. I guess we'll try to socialize them more though a fence and see how that goes. If worst comes to worst, we'll just keep one in the house or frontyard, and the other in the backyard. Diezal is quite a bit bigger than Teddy (Diezal's the size of a lab, Teddy's a chi), and one bite could have been fatal. Diezal surprised me because he had that "kill, kill" look in his eyes and he seemed determined to "get" the little guy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Was he actually in "attack" mode or was he herding?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:32 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,136,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I think your guy is putting on his "tough guy" face but I don't see any pit there

Now that sandycat mentions it, I see some Spaniel in there too.
Sure looks like Border collie and I SURE DO see some spaniel...and we have 2 of them (cocker spaniels)

Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Was he actually in "attack" mode or was he herding?
I have no doubt that had a fence not been between them, it would have been a pretty bad bite. My husband was standing on one side of the fence with Diezal on a leash, and I was on the other with Teddy in his harness. They were smelling each other and both seemed "really" interested in the other one (kind of like anticipation and standing up to each other). They went in for another sniff and Diezal tried to bite Teddy's face through the fence.

Are border collies aggressive dogs, or do they like to hunt? When we were at the vet's office, he didn't seem "interested" in a 7 month old shephard that came in (BIG boy), but he had that same aggressive interest in a smaller 12 year old dashound mix. We think it's a size thing, and that it might be a prey-type issue. He sees our inside cats froma distance and "watches" them, but he hasn't tried to chase or "get" any of them. (I think he did try once when he was younger, but we punished him.)

Teddy seems to like other dogs, he gets along with my mom's spayed female, and we took him outside with our lab/chow mix Kody while Diezal's away.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
That dog is border collie. The second picture is throwing people off. That's how border collies herd.

Here are some pictures of border collies in motion:

Check out these border collie You Tube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pORF_PVW8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd-_j...eature=related

If he's a mix of anything else, it's spaniel but only a tiny, tiny bit.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
BORDER COLLIE!!! SO cute. My dog has sort of that look but we think she is just a pointer lab with 'maybe' a smidgen of border collie.

They are so smart...but get bored easily.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:32 PM

Hmmm, I never thought of cocker spaniel. We knew he was half border collie because his mother looks full blooded. However, she runs with a collie (like Lassie) and a couple of shephard mixes. Here's a couple of pictures that were taken after he got home from the vet's.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
I love border collies but I'm always wary of them. They are back biters for sure and I rarely turn my back on one until I get to know it. I've had a couple of the seats of my pants ripped and my butt punctured over the years. I was a door to door sales man for years and you really get to know your dogs. LOL.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Border Collie and Australian Shepherd. Very cute!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I'm thinking border collie with golden or flatcoat. The mane and leg feathers are dead ringers.

Either way, that's a certified Borderline Collie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs