Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,383 times

Advertisements

He was starting to stink and I didn't feel like paying for grooming like I did the last time so decided to give him a bath myself.

Getting him into the tub was a challenge but he was pretty good about the actual bathing part. I had bought allergy free shampoo (he has mad allergies) and a great shower attachment so the washing was actually a piece of cake. Well besides the desire to shake off the water every five minutes. Let's just say after the wipe down my bathroom has never been this clean.

Once done I dried him up best I could and set him loose. Of course the first thing he wants to do is go outside and roll around in the dirt. No dice... he is getting his potty breaks on a leash for a day or two. I want to enjoy the freshly cleaned smell a bit before he rolls in some road kill or coyote droppings.

So how well do yours take to the whole bathing experience and what tricks do you use to make it easier? The attachment I mentioned has an automatic valve that goes between the shower head and the wall. When you attach the hose the water is automatically redirected to the attachment instead of the shower head. Makes cleaning the dog and, on chore day, cleaning out the shower a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,685,451 times
My dog hates any water that is not in her water bowl. She protests the tub like a pro.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,376,385 times
My dogs KNOW baths every two weeks or after swimming is just part of life. They hop in the bath tub. Like tooth bushing each night.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,300,576 times
My boy hops into the shower with me, even when it's not his bath day, so no issues with that here. For a Bulldog, he's very much into water, whether it be the shower, hose, pool or ocean!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,543,766 times
Buster HATES bath time. It's easier for me to take him to the groomer, but the last time he went I think he got nicked getting cut and chewed it so much he gave himself a staph infection. Trying to get him in the tub is a task....he spreads his little legs out as far as he can to try to not be put in. At my old apartment I had one of those deep jacuzzi tubs so it was easier, now I have a tiny tub built in the 20s lol Once he's in though he seems to deal with it, except when he tries to escape.

Bella....not a huge fan of the tub, but she does like to stick her head through the curtain and lick the water as it hits her head when I take a shower. She's 50lbs and it's hard for me to get her in the tub. The last bath she got was on the porch with the hose because of that.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,337,621 times
Tip #1 Dont Get their Head wet til the end!! Tip #2 Teach command Shake...this gives you time to get out of the way & pull the shower door closed!! Katie not only jumps into the tub, she shakes & jumps out on Command! So only things wet are her & the tub!
BTW your title should be .... A Clean Dog is a Happy OWNER LOL

Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
BTW your title should be .... A Clean Dog is a Happy OWNER LOL
So true

Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,049,564 times
bailey hates, loathes and despises bath time..... she generally gets a bath about once a month..... around her frontline day..... on the driveway with the hose during warm months...... at the dog wash in the cool and cold months.....

the dog wash is very cool .... giant tub at waist height with a little ramp for the dog to walk up (yeah, right!! ) ..... warm water from an overhead hose and sprayer.... VERY quick work.....

she HATES having her tail washed and rinsed the most.....

dave hasn't had a bath from me yet..... will report back at that time.......

Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,320,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
So how well do yours take to the whole bathing experience and what tricks do you use to make it easier?
Luckily for me, Siberian Huskies are a generally non-stinky breed of dog. Their fur is not oily, so doesn't trap dirt and odors. Bandit gets bathed just a couple times a year.

He doesn't much like it! I laugh at him because every morning, when I go to shower, I pull the shower curtain aside...and Bandit runs and gets in his kennel. That sound of the metal curtain hooks on the metal rod strikes fear into his little doggy heart. But at the same time, he's SUCH a good boy that if I do call him into the bathroom, he'll come...head down and ears back and pitiful and slinking all the way. But he'll come.

When we do baths, I put a mat into the bottom of the tub to give him more traction. I just tell him to get into the tub and he slinks over the edge...more pitifulness..."Mommy, don't beat me...don't beat me, Mommy!" I sit on the edge of the tub with my feet in, and he rests his head between my arm and my thigh. I've got one of those Waterpik shower heads...on the hose, you know?...so that makes it easier. Takes a long time to wash him, though. He's a big dog! With LOTS of fur!

If it's a sunny day, we'll go outside afterwards for him to sit in the sun and dry more quickly. He's never been the type to "roll in the dirt" -- he'd probably be appalled by the very idea! -- so I don't worry about all my good effort going for naught. The part he hates the most, I think, is the drying off part...me and my towels. I think it's just that by the time we get to that part, he's so tired of being manhandled that he just wants me to leave him alone. But he's very longsuffering and will just give me pitiful looks and woo-woo his indignation.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,276,540 times
Default Self serve dog baths...

So glad there are a couple self serve dog bath wash facility's within 40 miles from us.
They supply a very clean facility, looks more like a hospital it is so clean, every time we go.
They supply the shampoo (they have 7 varieties)...the cream rinse...the rubber scrubbers,,,face cloths, towels, chamois, perfect temperature water...never changes temp, water comes out on a long hose with great sprayer, even has a turn on/off on nozzle.. Tubs up high so the parent of the dog doesn't have to bend over. Ramps or stairs for larger dogs to get into tubs.
There is blo-glo-coat spray and a colonge if you chose to use it.
No need to...the cream rinse smells great to us & last a long time.
There are 2 different types of dryers & combs & brushes & furminater too.

All of this for $20.00 per dog. It's W O N D E R F U L !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs