Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:12 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,177 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need some help here..I have a Boston Terrier who is almost 12 years old. I love her to death, but for the past year, she won't stop peeing or pooping all over the house! It's disgusting, smelly and unsanitary!! I have purchased puppy pee pads and placed them in the areas that she has been making the most. But it's usually a hit or miss. I am at my wits end...HELP! What else do you suggest??

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Hi all,

I need some help here..I have a Boston Terrier who is almost 12 years old. I love her to death, but for the past year, she won't stop peeing or pooping all over the house! It's disgusting, smelly and unsanitary!! I have purchased puppy pee pads and placed them in the areas that she has been making the most. But it's usually a hit or miss. I am at my wits end...HELP! What else do you suggest??

Thanks!!

she was trained to go out but just began,within the last year, having accidents in the house?

If so-have you spoken with the vet?
My 16 year old Peek-a-poo began doing that and was diagnosed with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction; which is basically like Alzheimers.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
Hmmm, so is this something new? I'm guessing, and maybe incorrectly, that she was potty trained for the previous 11 years and this is a out of the ordinary for her? Have you taken her to the vet to get checked? It could be something as simple as a UTI - also, there could be other medical issues having to do with her age.

I hope you do consult your vet and in the meantime, be patient with her. It sounds like you're getting stressed over it and if it's just her age, that's part of growing old. I have two Bostons and one Frenchie. They are potty trained and 99.9% reliable but there are worse things than poop and pee.

Don't give up on her and let us know what the vet says.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
The only thing that will get rid of the odor that she can smell is an enzyme cleaner made for canine wastes. Since she can smell it, she may think it's OK to use that spot again.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:49 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
you should restrict her movements in the house so she just can't go anywhere she wants to go to the bathroom. keep her in the kitchen or by your side when you are in another room. do not allow her the run of the house. if she does not have a medical problem go back to basics which is to limit the area the are free to roam in. feed once or twice a day and take her out consistently. do not leave her unattended and after a time she may get back on track

Old 09-05-2009, 05:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
First, you need to get her to the vet to make certain it's not a urinary tract infection. A UTI is the single most common reason for dogs to have a 'lapse' in their training. You can't diagnose this yourself - you need to get her to the vet. UTIs are particularly common in females because of the very short urethra (the conduit of urine from the bladder to the outside) and microorganisms don't have a long trip from the outside with that short urethra.

The vet can also rule out Canine Cognitive Disorder (dementia).

Second, DO control where she is in the house. Put a leash on her and attach it to your waistband.

Third, DO clean up with an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution.

Fourth, REWARD her for going in the right place. Rewards must be OUTSTANDING: chicken, cheese or steak.

Fifth, and most important: NO SCOLDING. All she wants to do is please you and if she's been trained in the past, then something's changed and it's not under her control!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:02 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,177 times
Thank you for your responses! I will definetly take her to the vet and keep you posted. Yes, she was potty trained long ago. Nope, I never scold her. She is my love and absolutely wants nothing more than to please!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:43 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
My personal experience with my animals has shown me when the toilet habits become irregular or a problem and you haven't made any changes to your pets food or surroundings, your pet is trying to tell you something is wrong. I agree with everyone else. Take your pet to the vet.
I hope everything works out for you and your baby.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 16,700 times
I am having a problem with my 10 year old Boston Terrier with her bladder. She has been house trained since about 10 weeks old. This dog could go 8 to 10 hrs. while I was at work and not have an accident. Now in about the past 3 months she has to go out to go pee about every 2 hours. I took her to the Vet. He did a blood profile and found a liver problem. I have been giving her medication for this but have not had much of a change yet. The Vet thought it might be a kidney problem or diabetes but the test found nothing in this area. I am wondering what else to do at this time. Thank you.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I am in no means a professional. But from the likes of things, i do agree with what is being suggested on here. Please make a Vet apt as ASAP. The Dog is obviously telling you something, and it appears the behavior has changed. I would soon as possible see a vet, could be a medical problem due to the dog's age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs