Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
There is way too much breeding going on. Whether it be backyard breeding or showdog breeding. This is the root of the problem as to the overpopulation of animals sitting in shelters with not enough homes available to them. Purchasing a pet from any breeder is contributing to the breeding process.
Thousands of wonderful pets face the needle or gas chamber everyday due to someone buying from a breeder.
If research is done, people can find their favorite breed thru Petfinder or a shelter somewhere. All it takes is putting your name on a list with them.

hhhhmmmmm .... sort of like BUYING from a breeder.......

Old 09-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
please do not portray my beliefs as if i am likening dogs to humans (not even retarded or otherwise handicapped humans). i think i am making it very clear that humans have to be considered higher up on the food chain than dogs. of course, my dog is more valuable than most humans but thats for me to think that way, i dont expect society to protect my dog above humans.

in your own words below:

Quote:
we cant really treat them the same as people, they dont think like people, cant get jobs, build a home, follow laws, etc.

my dog is a product to me. to say she is no different than a television, car, shirt isnt accurate. i value things that i own differently, and my dog is much more valuable to me than anything else i own. but ultimately, she cant survive in society on her own so she needs to be viewed as a product.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
im not sure where you got the idea from that post that i think its ok to not take care of retarded or handicapped humans.
because i said pets cant build homes, get a job, etc.? the reality is that the list of reasons goes further than what i put there. ultimately, humans arent products, dogs are. so there is no need to pretend like im saying we dont have to take care of handicapped humans.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 AM

not sure how we made the jump from not taking care of a product to equating lack of self sufficiency to BEING a product.......

Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
not sure how we made the jump from not taking care of a product to equating lack of self sufficiency to BEING a product.......
you did that in order to make some weird point that i was now against handicapped people. i was just saying that you cant cater to the animals preferences because ultimately, they require our assistance in order to survive in society. i understand that handicapped people also need assistance but they are people not dogs. most people are self sufficient and we can help those that arent. all dogs arent self sufficient so they all require our help. ultimately, just being human is enough of a reason for anyone to be given rights above dogs. we dont need to go into what exactly gives a human any more rights, just being human is enough.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:
hhhhmmmmm .... sort of like BUYING from a breeder.......
Definately not.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Definately not.

sorry .... i meant the process..... research and decide on a breed that is suitable for you.....then research and find the source for a dog of that breed.

difference being that with petfinders, et.al., you are getting a dog that is ALREADY here and in need of a good home, through no fault of its own..... not providing more motivation for more breeding......

Old 09-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
you did that in order to make some weird point that i was now against handicapped people. i was just saying that you cant cater to the animals preferences because ultimately, they require our assistance in order to survive in society. i understand that handicapped people also need assistance but they are people not dogs. most people are self sufficient and we can help those that arent. all dogs arent self sufficient so they all require our help. ultimately, just being human is enough of a reason for anyone to be given rights above dogs. we dont need to go into what exactly gives a human any more rights, just being human is enough.

and captain, your own words clearly say that a living being that is lacking self sufficiency is a PRODUCT...... ALL humans rely on other humans for help, assistance, sustenance, shelter at different times throughout their lives...... and it is compassion that compels humans to provide that help, assistance, sustenance and shelter......

catering to a preference has nothing to do with the subject at hand......

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
sorry .... i meant the process..... research and decide on a breed that is suitable for you.....then research and find the source for a dog of that breed.
haha good thing you apologized. could you imagine suggesting a shelternut get a dog from a breeder? thats a low blow.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:

difference being that with petfinders, et.al., you are getting a dog that is ALREADY here and in need of a good home, through no fault of its own..... not providing more motivation for more breeding......
Yes, the damage was already done and even the pedigrees are left abandoned in shelters and/or with rescue groups. Most pet purchases from breeders are done on impulse also....example....a dog or cat show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs