Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,322,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

One of my pet sitters has moved (ironically, to San Diego, and has two dogs of her own now -- let me know if you want to try to get in touch with her), the other one is unavailable for one of the weekends I need her, and so we found one through my vet's office. She works at the front desk and pet sits for extra money. It's a win-win. She makes some cash and Artie gets to stay home with someone (else) who will dote on him. It's worth a shot if letting a stranger stay in your house is something you're willing to do. If so, let me know if you want to get in touch with my original pet sitter.
We wanted someone to stay with him, but can't find a pet sitter in this area that we like. We tried that once, but she never technically slept over! She came after 3am, because she was at a party, and PC was 4 months old and couldn't hold his pee that long and ended up peeing all over his bed and kitchen. Even better, we'd love for someone to just take him for the time we're gone to their place. He does really well in other people's homes and has slept over many different houses since we got him. If you can give me the info for your pet sitter, I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,151,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We wanted someone to stay with him, but can't find a pet sitter in this area that we like. We tried that once, but she never technically slept over! She came after 3am, because she was at a party, and PC was 4 months old and couldn't hold his pee that long and ended up peeing all over his bed and kitchen. Even better, we'd love for someone to just take him for the time we're gone to their place. He does really well in other people's homes and has slept over many different houses since we got him. If you can give me the info for your pet sitter, I'd appreciate it!
E-mail sent!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,775,676 times
I always thought they were left alone at night at just about any kennel. If your dog is a barker, he may come back with a hoarse voice. As a side note, you may want to keep some Pepto on hand, ready to go when the dogs get back home. Both of my dogs have always had a terrible 2 or 3 day bout of 'the runs' after a stay at the kennel, I'm guessing due to stress.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,691,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
That can either be really good, or really bad. If it's an Animal Hospital with a dedicated boarding facility area, with special boarding staff, that's fine.

But beware of vets who do boarding just to make extra $. I worked at a vet's that did boarding, and sadly, the boarders were last priority. No interaction whatsoever, aside from feeding and basic cleaning. I would never take my animals to board at a vet like that for that reason. I want them to have more personalized interaction and attention, not just left in a cage all day and all night.

Of course, there are places that do both, with separate staff, and that's pretty good. Especially if you have an older dog that needs medicine or special medical treatments.
I totally agree with you. I knew the woman who worked there. I became somewhat of a friend to her. She also did rescue. She went out of her way to give all the dogs individual attention. She would always tell me they did not care about the boarded dogs there but she did. I knew my dogs were in safe hands. I heard from her that she is no longer working there. She is at a new kennel that just opened and is run by huge British animal lover guy. I will probably take them there now.
I heard about vet/kennels charging extra for vet needs that were not necessary during their stay.
That place also wanted each dog to have an exam and all shots plus the bordatella of course before boarding. They wanted 135.00 for all this for each dog. That would have been $810.00 bucks just for their shots!Took them to Valu-Vet with a 10 dollar coupon. Each dog at the time for everything cost 26.00. That is a huge difference!

Last edited by Blondie621; 05-19-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 AM

24 posts, read 37,801 times
Hello mak802,
I personally would use a pet sitter, my dog is 13 years old and to take him out of his home would cause great anxiety to him, he has its little rotine each day. Try and find a dog walking service usually they are happy to look after your pets for extra money, rather then a big organistation they have more time. I dog walk a black lab every day and they rely on me for hols to, start by getting to know your dog walker then ask if they could have the dog for the weekend to familarize the dog with his great new dog walkers home. Let me know how you get on, best of luck.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:09 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,510,219 times
I have had the same issue with finding a boarding facility that has a staff member on site overnight. We don't board Tonka very often, but when we do, I really wanted to find a place with someone on site just in case. When I was calling around local kennels in the Charlotte area and asked the question, I got a lot of crazy responses - like people couldn't believe that I would even ask the question! Most kennels told me they rely on their alarm system in case of an emergency overnight. But that wasn't good enough for me (yeah, I know that makes me sound snobby - sorry!).

We lucked out though! We found a facility that's about 50 minutes outside of Charlotte that's located on a family farm. They do doggie day camp during the day, and overnight boarding. And because it is family run, someone is on the property 24/7. It is not the most convenient place to get to, but for me, the extra drive is worth it.

We've only used their facility once when we went out of town for a friend's wedding. Before we booked, they invited us to their location for a tour and to meet the family and the staff. Everyone was really nice, and they "made a fuss" over Tonka too. They didn't even make fun of me (at least, not to my face - ha ha!) when I called the first day he was there just to check in on Tonka. I spoke with the daughter of the owner, who said that Tonka "looked sad" (he ALWAYS looks sad, he's just one of those dogs with a sad expression), so she had him in her office while she was working. She said he curled up under her desk and took a nap. Now that sounds like Tonka to me!

I'm so glad we had the good fortune to find such a place. And while we don't board him often, we wouldn't hesitate to board him at this place again. I think the moral of this rambling tale is go with your gut. You need to find a place where you feel comfortable with both the staff and the facility. You won't be able to enjoy your trip if you spend the whole time worrying over your pet.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM

899 posts, read 2,951,268 times
I wouldn't touch a place that didn't have an overnight staff member there..We have a special kennel we use that is west of us 20 miles, but, the owner lives on site, they have remote tv access to the dogs at all times and will go be in the kennel when storms hit or anything else happens..Its just the best..my guys (cockers )come home happy from there..
Look further before you board, talk to groomers, and more...
good luck

Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,725,142 times
We board Storm at his daycare when we go away and even though there are alarms etc. nobody is there at night. I would rather that Storm have somebody with him all night, of course, but what can you do I read about Camp Bow Wow and it sounded great!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM

452 posts, read 1,728,114 times
My daughter, who has two schnzrs, has used a lady who boards in her own home (Naples, Fla) for trips out of town of several days. She said it was the best situation she had ever found and the lady is booked solid, weeks ahead.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,317,277 times
I work at a pet hotel and no, there is no one there at night. If someone was there at night the poor dogs and cats would get no sleep. Most of the dogs that stay with us actually get more exercise and stimulation with us then they do at home, therefore they rest much better at night.

We don't have alarms, we have live security that comes by and both the manager and myself are less than 5 minutes from the kennel and the owner about 10 minutes.

Storms and dogs that need a sedative? No problem we drive over and give it to them if there's an impending storm.

If you decide to board them, make certain they allow you a tour. Any facility that denies you of a tour is a red flag!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs