Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,137,021 times

Advertisements

My 11 year old chi needs some teeth pulled according to the vet. I am terrified of putting her out with anesthetic due to her age, despite the vet's assurances they monitor closely. But the teeth are bad, I saw them wiggle when touched, so they must cause her some discomfort. She doesn't seem in any pain though. Is it worth the risk? We just lost a precious dog 3 months ago and I don't think I could bear losing another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:48 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,124,983 times
I have three brachycephalic breed dogs (flat faced) and anesthesia is always a concern for them, so I understand your hesitation. I always opt for pre-op blood work to rule out any areas of concern, and insist on a protected airway during the surgery.

There are many different kinds of anesthesia too - the safest ones are Isoflurane and Sevoflurane. I'll be happy to provide you links for further reading about anesthesia protocol.

I don't know how calm your Chi is, but there's a new method of non sedation cleaning - here's a link with more detailed info.
http://www.petdentalservices.com/index.php

Old 03-12-2009, 05:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,958,858 times
Make certain that they're going to use pulse oximetry, as well as continuous ECG readings. And also make sure that there's someone in the room whose SOLE function is to watch the readings from those instruments! Agree with the sevofluorane and isofluorane.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,276,540 times
Were going to have to have 2 of our dogs dentals done. They both have gingivitis (sp?).
Everything that was said up above...the isofluorane, heart monitor,oxygen,and as soon as we get back the pre-op blood work from lab, then the one will be put on anti-biotics, then he'll go in for the dental.
Our boy will be 10 in June, and I don't want to do this...on the other hand it needs to be done, for his healths sake. major prayers will be going on the day he has it.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 PM

947 posts, read 3,411,195 times
PetzLife Products Inc - Products For a Healthier Pet

It does really work. After just a few applications hard pieces of plaque/tarter came off my kitty's teeth. Easy to use, apply with finger or lightly Gently brush with toothbrush or just with a washcloth.

Try before going "under" drug.

Petsmart would probably carry it!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,982,347 times
If the teeth are wiggling, they need to come out. Of course, that means anesthesia. I know it can be scary.

Pulse ox, ecg, bloodwork and a dedicated anesthetist are all great ideas. I would not take my animal to a vet who didn't protect the airway with an endotracheal tube on every animal under anesthesia. I also prefer to have an IV catheter with fluids running. This probably isn't going to be a short procedure, and the fluids will help protect the kidneys, plus having a catheter in is important if she needs drugs quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs