Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,838,983 times

Advertisements

My vet has recommended a teeth cleaning for my 7 yr old female sheltie. Just a very basic scrape and clean, very little tartar. He feels she's a good candidate for it because of the small amount of cleaning she needs.

Personally, I don't like the idea one bit. I admit it, that's due a lot to my own distaste of dental work. I can't imagine putting my dog through that, I just can't. Vet even said it'll be a lot cheaper for me to do it that way, and if I go the other way, it'll cost me more and put more money in his pocket. Now that's honest!

I only know one person who did this, and she swore she'd never do it again to her dog.

I would like to know of your (or rather, your dog's) experience with it. Was your dog traumatized? Were you?

Thanks,

Steel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,920,631 times
I have a dog that needed some minor plaque removal and because the dog has some medical issues, non-sedation dentistry was suggested by my vet. I observed, and when my dog became stressed, as evidenced by panting, whale eye and attempts to get away, the procedure was stopped immediately and sedation dentistry followed. I'd never agree to doing it again with my dog, although a calm and laid back dog might do fine. My vet did say that this procedure is only good for minor cleaning, and she doesn't normally recommend it because scaling below the gum line isn't possible without sedation, and cleaning up those pockets is critical to good dental health.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,718,633 times
Yeah I had it done. I've had one that who needed a cleaning because of some build up and I wanted to stop it before it got serious. No she wasn't at all traumatized. I can't imagine her being so over a dental cleaning. Thats just me though. She's the same dog she was before she went.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I have a dog that needed some minor plaque removal and because the dog has some medical issues, non-sedation dentistry was suggested by my vet. I observed, and when my dog became stressed, as evidenced by panting, whale eye and attempts to get away, the procedure was stopped immediately and sedation dentistry followed.
That's what I'm afraid of. My dog is terribly, terribly, I mean terribly shy. She always puts her head down when people want to pet her, she always tries to withdraw. I'm not so sure she would be a good candidate. But she's very submissive and compliant. I don't believe she'll fight it, but I'm afraid it'll stress her out terribly.

She's nothing like my poodle who passed... heck, I think he would have tried to talk to you while having the dental done

Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Yeah I had it done. I've had one that who needed a cleaning because of some build up and I wanted to stop it before it got serious. No she wasn't at all traumatized. I can't imagine her being so over a dental cleaning. Thats just me though. She's the same dog she was before she went.
Were you able to observe the procedure? What was it like? What was her behavior during the procedure?

Steel

Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,718,633 times
Ok maybe I missed something. Sorry. Is your dog not going to be any sedation for this? If not and she is shy then I understand. My dog had some sedation for the procedure. Although I'm sure if it would have been without she would have been fine. She has no qualms about me brushing her teeth. But each dog is different, some of my others would be too wiggly and such.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Ok maybe I missed something. Sorry. Is your dog not going to be any sedation for this? If not and she is shy then I understand. My dog had some sedation for the procedure. Although I'm sure if it would have been without she would have been fine. She has no qualms about me brushing her teeth. But each dog is different, some of my others would be too wiggly and such.
No sedation at all is my understanding. Maybe I can ask the vet about that. Thanks for the idea!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:20 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,753,330 times
I got a couple of dental instruments and removed the plaque on my dog's molars myself. It actually came off quite easily - despite brisk brushing with a doggy toothbrush.

I am not a fan of sedating my dog.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,147,311 times
I've had one of my dog's teeth cleaned without anesthesia. I did not observe the procedure. The vet tech said that my dog was the only one who allowed the dental tech to clean with a power scaler. She was alert, happy and did not have to have blood work, or the stress and expense of anesthesia. I will definately have it done again!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,490,080 times
You could just buy your dog a couple of beef marrow bones to gnaw on. You may not prescribe to the RAW diet but I'm sure your pooch would like a bone or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs