Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 AM

65 posts, read 492,653 times

Advertisements

my 3 y.o. golden frequently kicks when he's asleep.. I heard it's their dreams but is it really normal? He'll be kicking so hard and pretend he's running i guess? and does this soft whiny voice.. is this normal for dogs? I'd wake him up sometimes when he does that (just to make sure he's ok..), or sometimes he'd wake up when he happens to kick something (the wall, or the bedframe when he's on our bed)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
My dog has some of his best adventures whilst he's sleeping, I'm sure of it! He runs for MILES and he has lots to "say" while he's doing it!

I just let him sleep, he settles down again.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
My oh so very meek Chelsea used to bark and be so fierce and run like the wind in her sleep. Her breeder said it was normal. I used to really chuckle when Chelsea would get started. She rarely barked in real life, it was like she was mute, to the point I used to encourage her like you do when they potty outside, whenever she would growl or bark.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
My puppers didn't start kicking in his sleep and talking to himself until he was about 12 years old. He sleeps practically all day now, and wants to play around midnight. He's just very recently started chasing his tail...I hope it's all normal.

I let him sleep, but sometimes I do pet him when he gets especially 'wild.' Like moonshadow said, they are having quite an adventure!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,194 times
I bet they ask themselves the same question watching us humans sleep!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 AM

65 posts, read 492,653 times
ok.. i probably shouldnt disturb his 'great adventures' then.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Sometimes if he's off chasing rabbits along the great plains or something similiar I might gently give him a pat and talk to him softly, which seems to calm him a little, but I never wake him.

Incidently he kicks hard like a roo sometimes in his sleep! Very powerful back legs. Oh and sometimes he gets himself into such a big situation in his sleep he wakes up barking and is immediately on patrol from the "threat".

Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 AM

315 posts, read 1,091,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Sometimes if he's off chasing rabbits along the great plains or something similiar I might gently give him a pat and talk to him softly, which seems to calm him a little, but I never wake him.

Incidently he kicks hard like a roo sometimes in his sleep! Very powerful back legs. Oh and sometimes he gets himself into such a big situation in his sleep he wakes up barking and is immediately on patrol from the "threat".
don't you love that! zeke is usually the one who does the nights moves but i think it's because he's just so mellow during the day. my ex and i use to say he was doing his night exercises. miya on the other hand is ususally running around so much during the day that i think she only dreams of eating and getting loving at night.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default Normal For Dogs to be Kicking While Sleeping

Yes, this is normal. Our Pit Bull sleeps with us just about every night and not only is she a bed hog, but she also does the twitching, kicking, whining thing. I usually scratch behind her ears, rub her head or pat her on her belly and she stops. I would imagine they dream quite a bit beause she hardly ever has a time when she doesn't do at least a little twitching.

I also find that the more active she is during the day the less she does this twitching and kicking. More or less just like kids...they sleep better after a full day outside playing..pets are pretty much the same way. Not to worry!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,941 times
Tonka does this all the time! He makes this noise that sounds like he's saying "berf!" - it's kind of a dreamy half bark. And, he kicks in his sleep too. It always amazes me how strong he is - especially when he's curled up next to me and then starts kicking me in the belly, back, or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs