Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,400,923 times

Advertisements

Have you ever thought about a Biewer (pronounced BEAVER)? It is a new breed that just arrived about 5 years ago (or so) from Germany--hence the mispronounciation of the "w".

It is like a Yorkie, but it is black and white and gold, and it keeps it's tail. It is much less yappy than either a Yorkie or a Pom, and is far more loyal and loving than a Yorkie. The breed is accepted by ARBA, IABCA, but not yet by AKC. You can check them out at www.houseofwags.com. ....and NO I DO NOT SELL THEM. My friend has one and the dog is just lovely...wonderful...playful...happy...loyal....I want one, and am planning to get one soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, that Pom will beat your GSD up, you know. Descended from big dogs, Poms haven't figured out yet that they arn't still big dogs! LOL.

Have you considered a Maltese? They are very people oriented. Will want to be by your side every minute. I am told that Yorkies are somewhat hard to housebreak.

20yrsinBranson

Very true especially if it is a girl dog. If there is a bone my SIL has a pug and believe me one world from the pug and my GSD backs right off. He knows girl dogs will kick his ass We went out to eat and a Chiuhahah growled at him and scared him....mmm maybe a little dog would be to scarey for my dog

Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,863,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
The Pembroke and Cardigan Welsh Corgis (spelled with an i not a y) are hardy little farm dogs, however, they can be barky and the do nip as this is how they herd cattle and sheep and if there are no critters available they'll herd the kids or anything else.
My Corgi does herd the kids in the back yard sometimes, but he's never nipped at them. The only time he has nipped is when he is protecting someone and he only nips, he actually pinches, the person who is threatening harm to or is actually harming someone. He seems to know the difference between kids scuffling or rough housing and someone actually being hurt. He generally barks a warning bark and gives a warning growl first and if the person who is harming someone doesn't quit after the warnings he will then give them a pinch. (it actually feels like a pinch) If the person persits after the pinch, then he becomes more aggressive.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,863,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
My first Pom I got before my first grandchild was born. I would baby sit for him everyweek on my days off from work.This started when he was 6 weeks old. Many times since he was in a bedroom on the other end of the house I would not hear him wake up but my pom did and would come and get me. She never bit or even tried to bite any of the kids or anyone. She was always a happy little camper. Yes to the barking but she would stop when she saw the stare I was giving her.

Lucy about a year before she went to the rainbow bridge
Not all Poms are nippers as I stated they have a tendency to be, meaning that there are exceptions, but in general most are. I have been around a few who were wonderful little dogs other than the barking, but the majority that I have been around were vicious little ankle biters and were not trusted around children. You were lucky to have one that was good around your grandchild. I think training also has a lot to do with how any dog behaves around people or other animals. You may just have been better at training your dog, than the folks I've been around with Poms.

Cute Little Pom BTW. Poms are adorable little teddy bears that is for sure.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,020 times
Poms truly look like living Teddy bears I mean it must sometimes be difficult to discipline them because they are just so damm cute

Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, that Pom will beat your GSD up, you know. Descended from big dogs, Poms haven't figured out yet that they arn't still big dogs! LOL.

Have you considered a Maltese? They are very people oriented. Will want to be by your side every minute. I am told that Yorkies are somewhat hard to housebreak.

20yrsinBranson
LOL - that is the truth. I have a pom/sheltie mix and he runs rings around my husky and husky mix. He has no fear whatsoever.
That being said, I do worry about him getting hurt when they play, especially because he doesn't realize that he only weighs 15 pounds to their (almost) 50, but, most of the time, he definitely holds his own.

Interestingly, I read that poms nip ankles for much the same reason as a corgi or sheltie or other herding dogs. Before they were miniaturized, they were also used as herding dogs and to pull small carts like their other northern breed cousins.

It takes some diligence, but, like other unwanted behaviors, it can be modified with positive training.

The best advice I can give is to try to find a pup that is compatible with your GSD - same or similar activity levels, and so forth. And, definitely check your local shelters

Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,607,264 times
I have two Pugs and they got along really well with my Boxer, Pugs are great little dogs.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,954,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
I have two Pugs and they got along really well with my Boxer, Pugs are great little dogs.

They are great dogs (I have one) but...

1. They shed like the dickens.

2. They need A/C in the summer - every summer I hear about pugs dying from heat stroke.

3. They get eye injuries very easily: there's no muzzle to protect their eyes. PLUS they're prone to have pigmentary keratitis and/or keratoconjunctivitis sicca (which can lead to pigmentary keratitis). That condition requires eye medication several times daily.

4. Like all small dogs they're prone to developing luxating patellae (kneecaps) and like large dogs also are prone to hip dysplasia.

5. There is a fatal illness called pug dog encephalitis that strikes pugs younger than five years of age. It's unpredictable in its occurrence.

It's REALLY important to do all your breed research before jumping in!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,598,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have a wonderful GSD (his picture is in my profile) but I would also like to add a small dog to my pack. I have narrowed it down to a Yorkie or a Pom Does anybody have experience with either of these dogs? I would love to hear!!

Thanks
I have a Pom and a Yorkie so of course I like your choices I love both breeds! Both have been easy to potty train contrary to popular belief. I was able to be home during training time though.

My Pom is a barker and the Yorkie only occasionally. The Pom is easier to groom. Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,701,269 times
We got a Havanese from a very reputable breeder and their personal pet was a German Shepherd. They must have had 10 adult Havaneses plus puppies plus the German Shepherd and cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs