Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,819 times

Advertisements

I have a nearly four month old Cavachon puppy that we are trying to potty train. I am told his maximum weight will not exceed 15 lbs. - he is 6 lbs. right now. I was hoping to train him to just use piddlepads indoors but he runs in it and then gets it all over everything. Someone said that the litterbox works better because he has to deliberately step up into it and then when he's done probably won't go back up into it until he has to go again so less likely to step in it and track it all over. Right now I take him out and he goes in a pen enclosure in the back yard, but that's not so great either as the poop sticks to the concrete, he runs in it and it stinks! Its hard to clean up because we have to have a top on the pen to protect our little guy from owls, coyotes, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,475 times
I had a friend with 3 Peekanese (sp?) and she had a huge litterbox for them as they were city dogs and didn't like to go out much.

She got a special puppy litter and I don't think she ever stopped using it. Seemed to work fine for her.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Funny that you should ask that because we've seen three days of torrential rain here and my furry guy doesn't love going out for walks in it. (Actually, I hate it much more than he does, but that's not really the point.)

I had been wondering if anyone used a litterbox for their dog, and if it would be possible to train a 5-year-old 35-pound dog to use it.

Hmmm...

Old 12-12-2008, 01:37 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
We use the pads for our chihuahuas, but the cockers and the rat terrier have caught on. When it was raining last night I caught them using the chis pads. Worked for them just fine; they didn't have to go in the rain. Worked pretty good for me too actually, because I didn't have to clean up any messes!!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,288 times
Yes, and it's disgusting.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We use the pads for our chihuahuas, but the cockers and the rat terrier have caught on. When it was raining last night I caught them using the chis pads. Worked for them just fine; they didn't have to go in the rain. Worked pretty good for me too actually, because I didn't have to clean up any messes!!
So how did you teach them to use it? And do they ever walk in in and then get it all over the house??? I'd love to have this option! Thanks.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
HI, I worked, had a small dog, puppy, and the piddle pads, I also had an older dog, trained.
The dog would use the pads, however, the mess was cleaning the tile grout with stain. It did work
for a while but I did need to place newspapers under the pads, and maybe 2 or 3 pads. The older dog
got fed up, when the dog should know it and looked at me and did her potty. Anyway when bad weather the rain they hate. The older girl is now at rainbowbridge. The young one will go out fast if I do put a raincoat on her. Or winter coat. I got a big box of the pads from dr foster and still have them.
You could get a big rubber box, and either place that torn up puppy papper they have, or newspaper. If you buy the pads it would get costly.
For a dog it is best to go out.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:58 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
If I still lived in an apartment and with only my pug dog, I'd be tempted to try the Pup Head dog potty tray. It's a black plastic tray with something like astro turf in it. I don't think that I'm allowed to post the link for it, but google up "Pup-Head portable dog potty".

Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If I still lived in an apartment and with only my pug dog, I'd be tempted to try the Pup Head dog potty tray. It's a black plastic tray with something like astro turf in it. I don't think that I'm allowed to post the link for it, but google up "Pup-Head portable dog potty".
I checked it out. Problem is that it is level to the ground and I am afraid that I would have the same problem that I had with the piddle pad tray. My dog used it but then would run around and step in his solid waste and then track it everywhere. I don't know how to prevent this problem. I recently purchased a dog litter pan which he has to step up into to use. I figured he'd go in there and then get out, solving the stepping in it problem. But he just ate the paper pellets and pulled out and played with and chewed the piddle pad that I tried!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:03 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Katie out grew wanting to walk in hers...so I think time will help. Puppies just like kids seem to want to make messes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs