Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 AM

384 posts, read 2,223,275 times

Advertisements

I am getting a puppy on Friday so I have a little time to gather supplies...can someone help me figure out what I need and where to buy? Is somewhere like Petsmart or Petco more expensive than Walmart for supplies? What kind of crate should I get if I am crate training, a see-thru metal one or does a pet carrier make the puppy feel safer inside?

Also regular leash or retractable?

What kind of treats are good to train a puppy with?

What is a good brand but not too expensive of puppy food?

I know I need a collar and dog bed...anything else that I am overlooking?

Thanks!!! I feel like I am planning for the birth of a baby!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,287,541 times
You are correct that some places can be more expensive than others, however sometimes you get what you pay for.

I say no to the retractable leads, in my opinion they are basically worthless. They do not work well for training, so you'd need a regular leash for that, plus if another dog is coming after yours and you have him out 20 feet, you don't have much control.

Food wise, find out what the pup is currently eating and transition him over to what you will be feeding. If you run a search on the threads here regarding food, you'll find a bounty of information. You want one where corn is not the first ingredient, I say steer clear of by-products and food that is chemically preserved, go for naturally preserved instead.

As far as a crate, I never did the traditional crate training, but I know there are good threads on here about it.

You also want to make sure you have something safe for chewing as he'll be teething.

I've always used a handful of kibble when I train.

What kind of pup are you getting?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks! I appreciate your info! I am getting a cockapoo.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,709,765 times
you need 2 dog dishes, some toys, the crate could be a bed for now. Dog collar and leash. Dr Smith
and Foster has many puppy things, and you don't need to get it all at once. Feed the dog a good quality puppy food. I have the vari kennel crate which I would use in the car. The dogs reall like it.
I also had the open ones, but like the closed ones better. Maybe a dog brush and dog comb.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:56 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,287,541 times
Given the information that you'll have a dog that needs to be groomed, be on the search for a reliable groomer in your area. Start shopping now as they'll want to begin working with the pup after all the vaccines are in.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Great!! Thanks everyone!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,449,102 times
All good replies, but.........you also need stock in paper towels, mop/bucket and a good habit of putting things out of reach for awhile, especially shoes! Have alot of time for the snuggles, playing and slobbering face and soon you will also decide play time is more important than house cleaning!
My sign at the door says THE DOGS AND THEIR HOUSEKEEPERS LIVE HERE

Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,357,297 times
Find yourself a good and caring vet.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,963,516 times
I agree: NO retractable leash! They allow you NO control at all over your dog and, at least here in NYC, are an inconsiderate nuisance and can actually be dangerous (they can inflict nasty cuts and even take off fingers when grabbed quickly).

DO make sure your dog's dishes are either ceramic or metal (NO plastic) and wash them thoroughly with hot water and soap every single day. Water dishes tend to get nasty very quickly.

Stock up on Nature's Miracle or other enzymatic cleaner for accidents. Never use anything with ammonia in it, as it will remind the dog, via the ammonia, that there was urine there.

Think about getting an exercise pen or a gate so that you can contain your pup in an area larger than the crate.

Bond with your vet. Find someone who listens to you and understands what you want and need. Make sure your vet has or has had a dog. I have a friend who's a vet who always had cats, never a dog, until about 8 years ago. She was constantly surprised at the things that happened with the dog in terms of behavior!

Seriously consider puppy kindergarten (VERY good for socialization) and basic obedience. Get a copy of Pat Miller's book, 'The Power of Positive Dog Training' and read up on clicker training. I clicker trained my pug to his Canine Good Citizen title and it was TONS of fun for both of us! Make sure the class trainer ONLY uses positive methods: NO jerking on the leash, NO choke collars, NO 'corrections' and absolutely NO ALPHA ROLL!

And of course, when your puppy has an accident: NEVER, EVER SCOLD. Do a search on this site for my housetraining post. Follow it to the letter. It really works. And don't expect too much too soon. Small dogs take longer to train than big dogs and mature more slowly with respect to control of their bladder and bowel.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:00 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,055,123 times
a camera to post pics of your new baby so we can all ohhh and ahhh over him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs