Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,478,610 times

Advertisements

Puppy kindergarten is the best! I only wish I'd taken my camera when I took my pup to socialization class. The trainer said he had one of the most officious struts she'd seen in a long time. That's my boy!!!

I love the suggestion to get a mop and paper towels - pretty funny . How exciting for you to be getting your first pup. Your life is about to change for the better Oh, and we do need pics, too. It's a rule...

Off topic, but ViralMD, just curious here, why no plastic bowls? Is that because of the possibility of the pup chewing on them or BPA? I do wash my dog's bowls out every day, but I was under the impression that leeching occurred only when the bowl was hot? Is that not the case? Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Figure your puppy will chew up bedding, toys, whatever during the puppy stage so don't spend too much.

We got our dog @this time last year (actually Feb 9th) when she was a pup...good luck...you will love it...

Old 01-25-2009, 02:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Off topic, but ViralMD, just curious here, why no plastic bowls? Is that because of the possibility of the pup chewing on them or BPA? I do wash my dog's bowls out every day, but I was under the impression that leeching occurred only when the bowl was hot? Is that not the case? Thanks~
I'm not ViralMD, but we're trained to use non-porous dishes; stainless steel or ceramic and nonporous plastic as you cannot thoroughly clean regular plastic and then it continues to build bacteria.

If ViralMD as anything to add I'm all ears/eyes as I love learning

Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,955,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm not ViralMD, but we're trained to use non-porous dishes; stainless steel or ceramic and nonporous plastic as you cannot thoroughly clean regular plastic and then it continues to build bacteria.

If ViralMD as anything to add I'm all ears/eyes as I love learning
As above: plastic can develop microfissures and there are bacteria that can actually LIVE ON PLASTIC as their primary carbon source: you can't really get it clean and it can be a problem, resulting in infections on your dog's (or cat's) chin!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:10 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,478,610 times
Both of his dishes are now in the garbage, and I have returned to using his stainless steel ones. Thank you both, Cleosmom and Viralmd for the info and fast responses!

(PS: This forum is great - I also stopped feeding him walnuts when I learned how bad they were for dogs!).

Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 AM

342 posts, read 1,832,433 times
Here's what I would do:
1) Puppy health:
Set up an appointment with your vetrinarian (find a reputable one asap if you don't have one already) for a puppy exam. They'll check the pup for pre-existing health issues if any, do a stool check (so bring fresh poop) and start its puppy vaccination series. This should be done within 48 hours of getting the puppy, ideally, so that if your pup does have health problems, you can contact the seller right away and there isn't any doubt in whose hands the pup got sick.

2) Purchase:
A crate sized to fit the adult dog. If it comes with a divider, that's a bonus (you can improvise and use other things to section off the crate if not).

2 stainless steel dog bowls - one for food, one for water.

Nylon lead (4 or 6') - The puppy will chew it, so don't get a fancy one. I'd probably start with a 4' lead.
Nylon collar

Dog tag -Petsmart has one where you buy a token, stick it in the machine, and it engraves your info and spits it out pronto.

Food storage bin - bug and moisture-proof.

Quality food - A good food, although more expensive, will save you health problems and vet bills in the long run. I would feed a good quality food, like Eagle Pack, Fromm, Innova, California Naturals, Canidae, Solid Gold, etc. If possible, find out what the seller was feeding, and get a week's supply of that food and do a 7-10 day transition to your food. An abrupt change could cause digestive upset.

Treats - for a young puppy, start with easily digestible ones. Also, for the first week or two, you can just use regular kibble. Too many changes at once can upset the pup's system.

Toys -Kong and nylabone makes great chew toys. Puppy kongs can be stuffed and frozen with yummy treats and will give you a bit of time to breathe while the pup is busy chewing on it. Kong stuff a ball will keep the pup entertained as treats fall out while playing with it. Both are relatively durable, so can be left in the crate with most dogs. Nylabones have different bones of different textures. My pup liked the gummy ones while teething. Try getting different kinds of toys to see what your pup likes or is good with (chewies, tug toys, balls, plushies, etc). Rotate toys so they don't become boring.

3) If you choose to groom yourself: -these can wait a bit.
Nail clippers or grinding kit.
Dog brushes (Kong zoom groom and the furminator have worked great in my home)
Ear wipes.
Toothbrush & doggie toothpaste.
Dog shampoo/conditioner.

4) Make sure you have on hand:
Poop bags.
Pet enzymatic cleaner - Nature's miracle works great. Make sure you use a pet cleaner (regular cleaners often contain ammonia) to clean up after accidents.
Paper towels - lots.
Chew deterrent spray -Grannick's bitter apple worked for me.

5) Things that can wait:
Crate mat or bedding -These can wait until the puppy is past their chewing stage and is housebroken. If there's any question as to whether the pup will chew and possibly ingest the bedding, skip it altogether for now.

6) Start looking into:
Puppy kindergarten for socialization, followed by minimum basic obedience.

Where to buy:
You can find all of these things at pet stores (Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supplies Plus, etc). Walmart-type stores may have some things for cheaper, so you'll have to see. Also even for the pet stores, many have online sales and offer cheaper prices for online purchases compared to in-store purchases. Drs. Foster & Smith have everything you could want for your dog, and I think their quality and prices are often better for many things.

Last edited by vemureaux; 01-26-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 AM

543 posts, read 2,365,218 times
Don't forget plenty of chew toys for your puppy!
I love the Kong. It keeps my jack russell busy for hours.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 AM

384 posts, read 2,222,731 times
Awesome! I will post a picture of him when he arrives!!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:45 PM

106 posts, read 440,727 times
I have to break with tradition here and say that retractable leashes are great, when used properly. It's not the leash it's how it's used. It's not used for a dog doesn't know how to walk on a leash. I agree that too many people do let their dogs walk at "20 feet" and there is no control at that length. If your dog is taught to walk at a reasonable distance the retractable leash is really quite nice. The key is there is a command that is taught, then understood, to the "brake" on the leash. I really wish the people who make the leash would add that to the instructions. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,855 times
Retractable leashes may have their place, but please be aware of the issues that they can cause. Here is the disclaimer/warning that is included with the Flexi brand retractable leash, one of the most popular.

Flexi Soft Grip Comfort Retractable Leash in Granite at PETCO

I saw someone who had a severe injury to her finger from the friction of the cord on a retractable leash that she sustained when her mini-poodle suddenly ran toward another dog. Some leashes were recently recalled because the clasps broke free and snapped back and injured the face of the person holding the leash.

Just so you know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs