Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:02 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,351,415 times

Advertisements

Is your aunt allergic to dogs? What if she slept inside her crate either in your bedroom, kitchen or basement? Or can a friend take care of your dog for you while you are gone? Either house sit at your place or take her over to their place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,728,380 times
That is not long at all, so I think she will be fine. Mine go on long trips 1000+ miles one way. I think if you start using the crate more for her and do short runs like others have said she will do ok. If you start giving her toys in their too it will make it a nice place for her. So that way when she is on the trip in the crate it'd won't be a big deal at all to her.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,842,277 times
My aunt just hates dogs in house. She says animals need to stay outside where they belong. My aunt is not a animal lover of any kind.

John

Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 AM
miu

Gosh. Is there anyway that your aunt could grant your dog temporary child/niece status for the visit? Are you fond of your aunt? Do you even need to visit her for so long? While I respect your aunt's house rules, you are family and your dog your surrogate child It's also too cold outside at night, so it's not the humane thing to keep your dog outside during the entire visit. I even think that her local animal control officer would agree with me. Can you visit her during warmer weather instead?

Your aunt is refusing to accept the whole person you are. So does she have a basement, garage or shed that your dog can sleep in at night? If she really expects your dog to be outside the entire visit, if I were you, I would visit her for the day and then leave after dinner. An 80 mile drive home is nothing.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 AM

652 posts, read 2,671,531 times
My dog used to stay once a yr with a friend. He did not allow dogs inside his home and had a kennel area. there was an opening to a shed and it was heated slightly though. She did fine and actually loves to go there. although, if he did not have that heated area I dont know how I would have left her there. The question isnt really whether or not your dog can handle it (lots of shep. and labs are outside dogs) It is whether or not she will tollerate it. My worry is that she will wine or bark all night. try to convince her to let the dog in the garage at least. I cannot stand my aunts animals they jump on couches and chew and stuff. I still allow them in the house, they just have to be caged. everyone has their different views on animals so I dont think it is right to attack or dismiss this womans feelings.

In the case that there is no way around this I recently found that they make heated beds for dogs. Maybe you should check that out. you will still need to get your dog used to it before you leave.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 AM
miu

What about a heated dog bed and she could sleep inside your car? My dogs love hanging out inside my car, it's just a mobile dog house to them.

Several years ago, while driving through Ohio, my boyfriend and I had to stop at a hotel for some much needed sleep. We didn't know the area and the one hotel we found wasn't dog friendly. It was wintertime and the outside temperature was about 30 degrees. I crated up my dogs and wrapped each in a fleece blanket for the night. They were fine. And during the last dog transport I did two weeks ago, I caught a few hours sleep in NJ in my car with the dogs. I brought a comforter with me. My car is so small that with all of us inside it stays pretty warm, even with the engine turned off.

But before your trip, make sure that your dog enjoys hanging out in your car by herself.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,280,268 times
If your dog doesn't seem to do well or is anxious, you can get a sedative from your vet. You can bring it just in case. Otherwise, it's not a very long trip and hopefully, she'll do just fine.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,934,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've not taking her on a trip yet to find out what she will do. The place I'm going to take her has only a outside fenced in area. She has been staying in house with me at home. We have been having cold nights around 20 degress outside and wondering if this dog can handle cold nights? Another thing is when I take her on the trip would it be a good idea to cover the cage with a blanket to make her relax?

Thanks, John
John, is this Janet you're talking about? I remember you wrote that Janet was a nervous dog. If she is used to staying inside with you, how do you think she'll behave if she has to stay outside all of the time at your aunt's house? She may bark a lot, or become very agitated and that may become a problem for any neighbors. Does your aunt have a dog house or other shelter that she can stay in while you're there?

Old 12-05-2008, 08:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,842,277 times
Hi, Yes this is Janet. I'm going to buy her a dog house of some kind and put straw in it. I'm been waiting for the temperature outside to warm up a little before taking her on this trip. It's been in the low 20's at night here. My aunt's dog stays outside all the time even when it's real cold outside and it's a Cocker Spaniel. What temperature should I bring Janet in the house at night? Janet is a mixed German Shepherd and Black Lab.

Thanks, John

Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,934,285 times
Has Janet had any experience being in a doghouse? If not, you may want to get the doghouse now and make sure that she'll go inside it. If she gets used to it now, even during the day, when you are at your aunt's Janet will be much more likely to accept it. Anything you can do now to get Janet used to how things will be at your aunt's will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs