Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

She has never had a dog house because I made a small room in my house with a dog door downstairs in the basement. Thanks for all information from you and everybody else.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 01:12 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, Yes this is Janet. I'm going to buy her a dog house of some kind and put straw in it. I'm been waiting for the temperature outside to warm up a little before taking her on this trip. It's been in the low 20's at night here. My aunt's dog stays outside all the time even when it's real cold outside and it's a Cocker Spaniel. What temperature should I bring Janet in the house at night? Janet is a mixed German Shepherd and Black Lab.

Thanks, John
For starters what breed is your dog? The temperature also depends on what your dog is acclimated to. 20s with proper dog house/straw isn't too cold for many dogs who are used to colder weather and being outside, but if they are not then it could pose a problem. I'm not saying your dog will freeze to death but could be more likely to get sick. I had a dog, not used to being outside, it was not even as cold as that and it was daytime, she was out with me for hours that day and ended up getting very bad chest cold because she was not used to cold, dropped immunity, ect. Vet thought that it could even be pneumonia. She did recover just fine, but made me more cautious.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, Yes this is Janet. I'm going to buy her a dog house of some kind and put straw in it. I'm been waiting for the temperature outside to warm up a little before taking her on this trip. It's been in the low 20's at night here. My aunt's dog stays outside all the time even when it's real cold outside and it's a Cocker Spaniel. What temperature should I bring Janet in the house at night? Janet is a mixed German Shepherd and Black Lab.

Thanks, John
Your aunt has a cocker spaniel? Moderator cut: edit And she keeps the poor thing outside all of the time? Does her dog at least have a dog house? And at least Janet will have company. Maybe the two dogs can huddle together for warmth at night.

BTW what state does your aunt live in? Moderator cut: edit anyway, I do feel a lot better that Janet and the cocker spaniel can hang out together while you are visiting your aunt. Knowing what state your visiting is in part so I can check out the current weather temperatures and patterns of your upcoming visit.

Last edited by leorah; 12-06-2008 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: OP asked for advice on helping his dog handle a trip--insulting the OP and/or his family is inappropriate

Old 12-06-2008, 03:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
"My aunt's dog stays outside all the time even when it's real cold outside and it's a Cocker Spaniel"

How about when you get there, you bring your dog and the Spaniel in and put your aunt outside.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:48 AM

Hi. My aunt has a dog only because it was her brother's that died and left it to her. She would have never in thousand years have a dog otherwise.

My dog is a mixed Black Lab and German Shepherd. My aunt's dog does have a dog house and even her with her attitude she does feed the dog well only because this dog was her brother's. This state we live in is Tennessee.

Thanks, John

Old 12-06-2008, 04:01 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Maybe you can gently encourage your aunt to give the dog to someone that will accpet it as a family member.
As far as traveling. You've been given good advice and let me add that my two were pretty old when they first started traveling.......3 days at a time .
The first trip was upsetting but they not only learned well, they now are eager to jump in the car.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"My aunt's dog stays outside all the time even when it's real cold outside and it's a Cocker Spaniel"

How about when you get there, you bring your dog and the Spaniel in and put your aunt outside.
I second that suggestion!

And I also agree that your aunt should find a loving home for that cocker spaniel... or what about you??

BTW three of my dogs came from TN shelters. I also know of a TN rescue group that is willing to take in and foster senior dogs for rehoming.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 AM

I will most likely get her dog in time because my aunt is moving into a retirement home in the nexted 8 months.

John

Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Unless your visit is imperitive I wouldn't go. The thought of leaving my dog outside in the cold especially when used to living in doors is unthinkable. Can you not stay at a motel close by? Also if you do go, hows about bringing home your aunts dog with you instead of waiting for her to go into a nursing home. 8 months is a long time for that poor dog to live the way it does.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Hi, I've just back from my aunts after staying for one day and have decided to not take my dog to my aunts till it warms up in March of 2009. If I do go to see her I will stay for only a day and then come back home. My aunts dog has a dog house and I put some straw in it when I was there.

Thanks, John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs