Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:50 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,782,179 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has had German Shepards for most of his life and loves them! Here'a a pic. of Cinder and the cutest thing she does is always have her quack, quack in her mouth........even when she goes for a walk.
Attached Thumbnails
German Shepard Info-cinder.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 06:30 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,331,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
My boyfriend has had German Shepards for most of his life and loves them! Here'a a pic. of Cinder and the cutest thing she does is always have her quack, quack in her mouth........even when she goes for a walk.
Her "quack quack", is that what she calls it? That's sooo cute!! See, who says they're not smart like people, they even have their little security toys to carry around (like little kids who drag their "blanky" around). They're just fuzzy/furry humans

Old 02-14-2007, 06:44 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,782,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Her "quack quack", is that what she calls it? That's sooo cute!! See, who says they're not smart like people, they even have their little security toys to carry around (like little kids who drag their "blanky" around). They're just fuzzy/furry humans
She is so cute......she sits all day long with that in her mouth.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM

489 posts, read 2,016,031 times
First of all, I have been hurt by only TWO DOGS in my lifetime, and both times they were German Shepherds that I knew quite well. The first one was my friend's dog that I knew from the time he was a puppy, and the next one was a dog that came into a shelter that I volunteered at, and I bathed this dog and shoved him in and out of cages, etc., when he was received and continued to work with him for months thereafter until he decided he would take me down in the kennel one morning. Both of these dogs just snapped, without warning, and I wear the battle scars from the kennel dog to this day. My dog training experiences are limited to Dobermans and Rottweilers, also large breed, working dogs. Why not make running with you each day one of your dog's daily tasks? An exercised dog is a happy and more stable, predictable dog. Wearing them out physically each day to run off that puppy energy and crate training will eliminate most the "terrible twos" behaviors exhibited in puppyhood. Having the dog with you during your exercise time each and every day will create a bond between the two of you and then keeping them on a feeding schedule as well also establishes that you are "Big Dog" in the household, and that teaches them to respect you. A daily routine and the same schedule each day and night is very valuable, too. Dogs that know what to expect everyday feel more secure and are more stable as a result. Taking long walks and/or runs each and every day with your puppy and adult dog is not just good training for your puppy/dog, but it is also healthy for you. If you are having trouble with leash training, you can do something called "leash bonding" and have the puppy on a leash tied around your waste while in the house. That teaches him to walk with you where you are going and at your pace when he is on the leash. Doing indoors for just a few minutes a couple of times a day is very valuable because your puppy won't have the challenges of distractions that are common to the outdoors. Having a different collar and leash for exercise/work time is also a great training tool. I'm not suggesting a "choke" chain. They can collapse the throat. I suggest a normal collar but then also putting on a "training" or "pinch" collar for exercise, work, training. If you think those are cruel, you can slip one on your lower leg with a leash attached to it, and give it a tug. You will see that it doesn't hurt. It is a signal to the dog that it is time for them to do their "job" or "work", and it also gets their attention and redirects them when necessary. Proper socialization with other dogs and puppies while they are still a puppy and then continuing into their life will be the best preventive when it comes to aggression toward other dogs. This is also a good time for the training collar and leash. Lastly, some tips that will seem unimportant but establish your dominance and control over the animal: Do not let the dog lead you while walking. Make him keep pace with you, not out ahead of you. Do not let the dog enter or exit rooms or doors in front of you or race you to do so. You are the leader, and this dominance must be established very early on. And last but not least, the best tip of all that comes from The Dog Whisperer himself: Exercise, discipline, affection . . .and in that order. Of course, I find that discipline is rarely required when the dog is properly exercised. And whatever you do, never forget to PRAISE your puppy and adult dog each and every time he does the right thing. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:41 PM

489 posts, read 2,016,031 times
Love the puppy pic, exhdo1. Labs are great dogs. Real people pleasers and so very devoted to their human companions. My folks have had a couple of labs, and I'm always so surprised at how attentive they are.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:58 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,634,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
First of all, I have been hurt by only TWO DOGS in my lifetime, and both times they were German Shepherds that I knew quite well. The first one was my friend's dog that I knew from the time he was a puppy, and the next one was a dog that came into a shelter that I volunteered at, and I bathed this dog and shoved him in and out of cages, etc., when he was received and continued to work with him for months thereafter until he decided he would take me down in the kennel one morning. Both of these dogs just snapped, without warning, and I wear the battle scars from the kennel dog to this day. My dog training experiences are limited to Dobermans and Rottweilers, also large breed, working dogs. Why not make running with you each day one of your dog's daily tasks? An exercised dog is a happy and more stable, predictable dog. Wearing them out physically each day to run off that puppy energy and crate training will eliminate most the "terrible twos" behaviors exhibited in puppyhood. Having the dog with you during your exercise time each and every day will create a bond between the two of you and then keeping them on a feeding schedule as well also establishes that you are "Big Dog" in the household, and that teaches them to respect you. A daily routine and the same schedule each day and night is very valuable, too. Dogs that know what to expect everyday feel more secure and are more stable as a result. Taking long walks and/or runs each and every day with your puppy and adult dog is not just good training for your puppy/dog, but it is also healthy for you. If you are having trouble with leash training, you can do something called "leash bonding" and have the puppy on a leash tied around your waste while in the house. That teaches him to walk with you where you are going and at your pace when he is on the leash. Doing indoors for just a few minutes a couple of times a day is very valuable because your puppy won't have the challenges of distractions that are common to the outdoors. Having a different collar and leash for exercise/work time is also a great training tool. I'm not suggesting a "choke" chain. They can collapse the throat. I suggest a normal collar but then also putting on a "training" or "pinch" collar for exercise, work, training. If you think those are cruel, you can slip one on your lower leg with a leash attached to it, and give it a tug. You will see that it doesn't hurt. It is a signal to the dog that it is time for them to do their "job" or "work", and it also gets their attention and redirects them when necessary. Proper socialization with other dogs and puppies while they are still a puppy and then continuing into their life will be the best preventive when it comes to aggression toward other dogs. This is also a good time for the training collar and leash. Lastly, some tips that will seem unimportant but establish your dominance and control over the animal: Do not let the dog lead you while walking. Make him keep pace with you, not out ahead of you. Do not let the dog enter or exit rooms or doors in front of you or race you to do so. You are the leader, and this dominance must be established very early on. And last but not least, the best tip of all that comes from The Dog Whisperer himself: Exercise, discipline, affection . . .and in that order. Of course, I find that discipline is rarely required when the dog is properly exercised. And whatever you do, never forget to PRAISE your puppy and adult dog each and every time he does the right thing. Good luck.
It's refreshing to hear from a person that knows about dogs. I don't know what most people expect from their dogs. They treat them like kids or friends. Anyone that has been around dogs for any length of time knows that a well disiplined dog is the happiest dog. My dogs know their role in the "pack". They are submissive to all members of my family. One of my labs was a very strong alpha male when he was younger and it took a little time to straighten him out. He is now very well adjusted. By the way I strongly advise people to read Cesar Milans book on dealing with dogs. What may take some time in training when your dogs are younger can save you a lifetime of frustration as your dogs get older. I also strongly advise people to research the breed of dog they are considering (are they a fit in your lifestyle) and also research the breeder your dealing with. There's an old saying that has much truth to it that I tell many people who are considering a dog to think about. "If you don't find something for a Border Collie to do, he'll find something to do and that's usually something you don't want him to do". By the way did I tell you "LABS RULE "

Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,548,762 times
Default My real baby...

My REAL baby is Myla Rose, she is three and expecting her first litter. We had her hips x-rayed and she is free from h.d.!
The black one, Max in the pic is a pure-bred rescue who's grandmother was USA, Mexico, and Canadian champion. He was really super shy. He had to go to the rainbow bridge last summer.

Myla Rose does not have a mean bone in her body. She is not a bark-a-holic either. She is my baby and very well trained and mild mannered. We have grand-dogs, not grandkids. We live on 50 acres and there is nothing more beautiful than watching a shepherd romping in the pasture with her nose filled with all kinds of smells which we cannot imagine.

I like the German bred variety. I cannot stand the low-slung rear end one sees in all the dog shows. It looks so unnatural.

Attachment 1954

Last edited by _redbird_; 03-29-2007 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-22-2007, 07:50 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,989 times
Hi
We had two German Shepherds. So human!! Enjoy these beautiful creatures :>)

Glucosamine supplements help with protection and growth of joints and cartilage. Many dog people recommend Glucosamine, Chondroitan & MSM complex supplements for dogs prone to Arthritis and such. Even before any symptoms appear, it may be used to help protect, and even build cartilige up later. But many older dogs do improve and become more comfortable and mobile on it even after damage.

I brought some human supplements for my current dog containing all three ingredients, but chickened out giving it to him because of some ingredients I couldn't pronounce. But give him Syn-Flex now because it is for dogs as well as humans.
They say liquid is best because it gets right into their systems :>)
Maybe there's a holistic vet or German Shepherd breeder you may talk with who have heard of these supplements and have had good experiences?

I wish I had been on the Internet when we had our Shepherds. Our younger one had it so bad by 8 years old but had worse side effects, apparently from whatever crup he was on for it (the older one lived much longer because we were close to our old vet most of his life).

Last edited by Travel'r; 03-22-2007 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-24-2007, 04:18 PM

474 posts, read 2,193,570 times
I was also fortunate to have a wonderful German Shepherd when my family was growing up. Now I wish I could have a home with a large enough piece of land to have another.

I was parked next to a van yesterday with a sign on its door, and two gorgeous crated shepherds. Thought you'all might want to check their website; after I read their credentials, I am very impressed. These are Shepherds with meticulous German breeding and are beautiful animals. (I am not advertising or affiliated in any way, only went to their website and love what I saw there. Wishing.)

http://www.hausbrezel.com/

Old 03-25-2007, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 8,596 times
I will positively rate German Shepherds (GSD's). Like any dog, know what your buying before you get it. There are lots of unscrupulous breeders out there.

Also in getting a dog (any dog), know what the dog is bred for. Not to put a blanket over any particular breed or dog, but what the dog was meant to do will determine what type of dog you may like. IE: Greyhounds are fast hunters, border collies do herding, labs are retrievers...each type will also have a temperament to match, whether affectionate or aloof!

GSD's are bred for herding and protection, so they will be velcro dogs! Unlike my Springer Spaniel (the hunting dog) who spent most of his time 'hunting' and yards away from me, the GDS was by my side. GSD's need to be with their family and nothing matters more to them. Depending on the lines the dog is from, it really depends on what you want.

Personally, I would buy a dog from 'working dog lines', as these are not the show lines, or the American AKC standard which have been bred for a single purpose (the show ring). I wouldn't recommend the highest drive pup from the litter either, let the professionals train them, but what is called a 'pet quality' pup from one of these litters would be a good choice.

If your not accustomed to a high drive dog, don't get one. Do your research, there are lots of good forums with the GSD folks who would be happy to offer info. But the GSD's are my favorite! Many past GSD owners I've met have all had the same sentiment, there is owning a dog and there is owning a GSD! (in a very positive way.)

P.S. I have not read many of the prior posts, so don't know if I'm echoing anyone or not. And I certainly don't want to offend anyone either, just speaking with some experience in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs