Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times

Advertisements

Nice opener, eh?

Seriously though, this is gross . I recently changed the dogs kibble over to Sold Gold Wolf King. Then main ingredient is Bison, and let me tell you, Bison makes for some stinky farts .

WolfKing Adult Dog (bison) (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170 - broken link)

I made the change gradually, mixing the old and new food for 3 days, twice a day (breakfast and dinner - they get fed 2x per day).

They both seem to love the food, poops are good, no one is getting sick - they seem 100% fine.

I told my husband this is to be expected with a changeover in food, but is it? And for how long?

Oh, and I'd welcome any comments on this food. Supposedly the Wolf King is good for joints and one of my dogs needs that, I figure it can't hurt the other one to have some extra chondroitin and glucosamine too.

Where's the air freshener??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
I feed raw and gas typically isn't a problem unless I have recently fed him green tripe, which is stomach, intestines and stomach contents. He gets gas from both ends that would gag a maggot. Sometimes i need to feed dry dog food due to schedule or availability and I always wind up cleaning up vomit or rushing a dog with diarrhea outside.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Riv, there are a couple of things I noticed right off when I pulled up the ingredients list...there's a lot of grain in there...barley, brown rice, millet, oatmeal, and rice bran. Frequently grains are used to firm up the stools; kind of a filler, but obviously more nutritious than corn. They are good for energy but I'm not sure what else. My concern would be fermentation of the grain in the gut causing extra gas. An extreme effect could be bloat, a medical emergency. Gulping food and drinking extra water after meals or lots of exercise right after eating can contribute. Deep chested dogs are more prone to bloat, though I really don't consider your dogs deep chested. You might find some Digestzyme for humans at the health food store or probiotics for digestion and give 'em a pill with meals, but if there's fermentation going on I'd still be concerned. Are you giving them yogurt? The other thing I noticed was broccoli. Well, I know what it does in humans! I can't tell the percentage that's actually present - I'm guessing a relatively small amount because it is listed pretty far down the ingredient list.

Also, Wolfking has gone from salmon to herring and now to "ocean fish meal", which is every type of fish known. Fish meal is highly digestible, so I don't think that's the cause, but one of the four or five meals they are using might be making them...ummm...odorous. I feed raw, but if I feed fish I can count on a little noise and odor for a while. You said you transitioned over 3 days...but how long have they been on straight Wolfking? Perhaps you should have transitioned over a week, but that's water under the bridge. Did you notice an increase in gas while they were transitioning?

Don't know how long you've been switched, but it may simply be that the bison formula is too rich for their systems or a combination of that and the grain, and the fish, or whatever whatever...sometimes it's just a matter of hit-and-miss until you find something that agrees with them that is still a premium food. I'd give it another week and then throw in the towel if things aren't better.

In the meantime, invest in lots of candles and/or gas masks...

Old 08-30-2008, 07:08 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
I've got nothing "intelligent" to say here except that:

1. Millet, Oatmeal and Rice Bran are all fiber...

2. Green Tripe sounds nasty...

3. Brocolli also causes stinky farts...

and,

4. Candles burn off gas!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:09 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,921 times
Sometimes food changes do cause intestinal problems until the gut flora have a chance to "learn" to handle the new food. Have you tried adding a spoonful or so of low-fat active culture plain yogurt to the food to see if that helps? It has worked for me in the past.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
I feed my lab/boxer/"pit bull" mix a tablespoon of plain yogurt and it seems to help with her (often astonishing) gas problem.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:01 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Nice opener, eh?

Seriously though, this is gross . I recently changed the dogs kibble over to Sold Gold Wolf King. Then main ingredient is Bison, and let me tell you, Bison makes for some stinky farts .

WolfKing Adult Dog (bison) (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170 - broken link)

I made the change gradually, mixing the old and new food for 3 days, twice a day (breakfast and dinner - they get fed 2x per day).

They both seem to love the food, poops are good, no one is getting sick - they seem 100% fine.

I told my husband this is to be expected with a changeover in food, but is it? And for how long?

Oh, and I'd welcome any comments on this food. Supposedly the Wolf King is good for joints and one of my dogs needs that, I figure it can't hurt the other one to have some extra chondroitin and glucosamine too.

Where's the air freshener??
Out of curiosity I just checked the Bison food ingredients. It has barley, which contains gluten. Perhaps your dog is sensitive to gluten....

Old 08-30-2008, 10:04 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
In situations like this, i just open all my windows, look at my boyfriend and say 'Phew! You stink!"

Old 08-30-2008, 12:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
We've been on the Wolf King solo for not quite a week yet, so it is still early in the process.

Normally, I do feed them a dollop of plain yogurt on their breakfast, but when we lost power for 4 days last week, I lost a lot of my groceries. I held off on buying another container of yogurt since I was making this food transition, but I can go ahead and add it back in (if I'm out today I'll pick up another container). I normally just do the plain Dannon in the big tub...any other yogurt preferences?

Sam, right, neither of these 2 are deep chested (the deep-chested dog is no longer ). Richness could be the reason, that makes sense .

What they are transitioning from is Hill's Prescription WD. I know, I know, don't yell at me ! Our recently deceased dog had to be on it, and between the food and his medications, we had an extra 5 years with him we may never have had (thyroid and heart issues). We don't need to feed it anymore though, so that's why we're changing over.

Here are the ingredients for what they were eating:

Ingredients
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose 17.1% (source of fiber), Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Meal, Iron Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), preserved with BHT, BHA and Ethoxyquin, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Tryptophan, Beta-Carotene.

Prescription Diet: Therapeutic Pet Food for Cats and Dogs | Hill's Pet Nutrition (http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/products/productDetails.hjsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455244417 60433 - broken link)

Conpared to what they're eating now:

Ingredients
Bison | Ocean Fish Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Oatmeal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil | Choline Chloride | Dried Chicory Root | Parsley | Pumpkin Meal | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Thyme | Blueberries | Carrots | Broccoli | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | Riboflavin | Vitamin D3 Supplement | Folic Acid |

So the grain content has gone down, but still present. Solid Gold makes a no-grain kibble called "Barking Moon", but we only have one chain of dog health food stores here in Jax and it's hard for them to keep Barking Moon in stock. They have a large minimum order, so people get on a waiting list, etc. So even if I switched to it, I don't know that I could get it consistently...the woes of living in a 2nd tier city !

Barking at the Moon High Protein, Low Carb Adult Dog Food (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=81&code=120 - broken link)

Leorah, I think they'd be fine with the gluten, no problems with the previous food and it had gluten (maybe a different type, though?) .

Broccoli is definitely suspect, thanks for picking that up, Sam and WorldCitizen ! If that's what is causing the farts, we will have to switch foods .

With the fish, Solid Gold says this:

Are the fish used in your foods farmed or wild caught?
We use only wild caught fish, our fish are never from fish farms.

So I felt pretty good about the fish, but you're right, "ocean fish meal" sounds vague .

The farting started as I introduced the new kibble, and it definitely increased after going 100% to the new kibble, but it's only after they eat. In the early morning before breakfast, for example, there is no farting.

I'm not married to this one brand, but I am married to kibble at this time.

This is a list of the foods available to me in Jax. I also considered Canidae. What about Wysong? And Innova is supposed to be good.....it's just so confusing :

Pet Supplies Plus

I'm trying to keep the cost to about $46 or so per 30#s, but it seems all the ones I looked at fell into that range anyway.

I'm also confused about the percentage of protein, fat, etc. they need. They're healthy dogs, both female, only active in spurts...typical pit/pix-mixes...they can go from wild sparring to being couch potatoes on and off throughout the day.

Oh, and this is a tripe-free house, Jimbo ! You're talking to an irish girl here, I had a childhood with the stench of tripe coming out of the kitchen....no thanks!

Thanks for the help everyone, it takes a village to figure out what to feed a dog these days !

Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

Thanks for the help everyone, it takes a village to figure out what to feed a dog these days !
It really does take a village. I am still reeling over the Canidae info.
Elwood was on the Solid Gold wolf pup food when he was under a year, and did really well on it.
I think it's really good food, but I do wonder about the broccoli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs