Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times

Advertisements

Here's my dog Zoe (aka "Yoyo"), at about a year and a half old - although I originally thought she was a lab/boxer mix, as she's grown we lean toward a pit type mix of some sort. She's more lean than muscular, doesn't have much have the wide heavy chest that our Am Staff/Kelpie mix has, and has very webbed feet. She weighs about 40 pounds, is about 19" at the shoulder and has a long, thin tail that she can curl into a perfect question-mark shape.

Does my dog look like a pitbull?-zoe.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,821 times
While there is no way to know for sure she does look like she could be a Pit mix. Quite cute, mine curl up like that too.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,181 times
ACtually I believe the DNA tests are totally accurate so if the poster is still curious, they could have that done. I hope they come back and followup if they get the results, it is a cute puppy.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
ACtually I believe the DNA tests are totally accurate so if the poster is still curious, they could have that done. I hope they come back and followup if they get the results, it is a cute puppy.
The DNA tests are not 100% accurate. At least when a test comes back on what looks like a Lab and they tell you it's a Chi or Dachshund mix. I wouldn't waste my money on a DNA test, but that's just me. lol

Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Most the test are not that accurate, there is one which seems to be and has I think the most breeds too. There are several DNA test out there and they don't even have pit bull breeds except the one. Which means that it won't tell you the dog is a pit mix, it might come back with a related breed or something totally different. Without test having all breeds profiled it makes the accuracy off, because if your breed isn't one that has been profiled then you can get a way off response.

One Pit Bull tested came back Border Collie, Boston Terrier and something else. I wouldn't call that accurate. I plan to test some of mine for fun just to see what they come back with. The other test that seems to be most accurate result came back 98% AST/APBT and 1% SBT + 1% of another breed. So I'd chose carefully but it is impossible to make sure your breed is on there if/when you don't know what breeds your dog is even mixed with. Which then seems to make it pointless for many people. If you knew what your dog was mixed with you wouldn't need a DNA test in the first place.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:07 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Some labs do have a bit of white on their chests.
Anyway, if you have to ask for opinions about the dog's mix, the authorities (whoever they are) in Florida will simply be told that the dog has some chocolate lab and boxer and who knows what else. What are they gonna say?
Anyway, I do think some boxer looks a lot like pit in the face.
Hey, your dog's ancestry is no one's business. A mutt is a mutt, and most aren't 50/50 mixes anyway, right?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 17,560 times
Default PNW-Type-gal

My daughter has a young female pit/doberman mix that looks like your dog's twin. Exactly the same color, even to the eyes, and the curling
up like that, and with the long thin tail. Can't believe how much they
look alike. When my daughter saw the picture, she said, "That's my
dog"...."where did they get a picture of her like that". We got her from
the pound and love her more than life.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:57 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,404 times
Not to me.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 21,330 times
Default I have the same question

We're considering a rescue dog - here are some photos. Do you see pit bull?
Attached Thumbnails
Does my dog look like a pitbull?-dsc01947.jpg   Does my dog look like a pitbull?-dsc01949.jpg  

Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyP View Post
We're considering a rescue dog - here are some photos. Do you see pit bull?

I see some pit in your dog. I am no expert and I don't consider some pit a bad thing. Every pit I have met has been very sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs