Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxiethekat View Post
Hey. I was told by the owner that my dog is a choc.lab/boxer mix, but I've been told that he looks a lot like a pitbull. What do you guys think? I'm going to move back to Miami soon and I want to know if I will have problems. I read the law and it said that pitbulls/mixes are not allowed, but people have been telling me that general characteristics also apply.
He's adorable. I can't tell if he has pit dna or not. But I can tell you that I dislike the laws banning pits. Grr! I had a pit and she was one of the most sweetest, lovable, best tempered dogs I have ever owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:36 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,051,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Thanks! Yeah, she gets a lot of compliments on her coat...she knows she's pretty!
Is she brown or black? She's beautiful...

Don't you think that the length of the nose and shape of the face is shorter and wider than a lab? As soon as the vet saw my dog she said she thought he was part pit. Now, I'm looking at his face and can see that..

My baby's black. Looks a lot like her!

edited to add: I just read the rest of the posts underneath. I think I'll call him an English Labrador from now on. I'm so glad you all talked about the wider muzzle and face - I didn't know about them!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 PM

75 posts, read 378,998 times
Does my dog look like a pitbull?-img_0138.jpgThis pic is of my latest lab. She will be 6 in november. She is 22" tall and 62 lbs. Right in the middle of the breed standard for females. The yellow is her son, 7 months old in the pic(Nov. 2007)

Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,051,258 times
Default BSL is no joke...

Quote:
Hey. I was told by the owner that my dog is a choc.lab/boxer mix, but I've been told that he looks a lot like a pitbull. What do you guys think? I'm going to move back to Miami soon and I want to know if I will have problems. I read the law and it said that pitbulls/mixes are not allowed, but people have been telling me that general characteristics also apply.
Moving a dog that might be part pit bull into a city with BSL is no joke. If their law is strict enough to mention general characteristics and mixes -- then you are at the mercy of animal control and any neighbor or stranger who might want to call in a complaint.

What will you do with the dog if they give you a problem?

Why are you choosing to move the dog into an area where you think you'll have problems?

If you lived there already and they changed the laws that would be one thing - but to move a dog into an area expecting issues doesn't make sense...

Please be proactive.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM

378 posts, read 1,653,573 times
Your puppy looks like a friend of mines lab. Definately a chocolate lab. How cute.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Is she brown or black? She's beautiful...

Don't you think that the length of the nose and shape of the face is shorter and wider than a lab? As soon as the vet saw my dog she said she thought he was part pit. Now, I'm looking at his face and can see that..

My baby's black. Looks a lot like her!

edited to add: I just read the rest of the posts underneath. I think I'll call him an English Labrador from now on. I'm so glad you all talked about the wider muzzle and face - I didn't know about them!
She's chocolate, and as far as I can see from the puppy pic, same shade as the OP's pup. People assume she's a chocolate lab because of her color, but she doesn't look very lab-like in person (a few traits, but not many).

It's hard to tell when they're so young, but I agree, the proportions of the pup look like there might be some pit in there...the OP will be able to tell more as the pup matures .

Last edited by riveree; 08-06-2008 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 PM

692 posts, read 3,856,848 times
This comes straight from the AKC Labrador Standard
Quote:
short, dense, weather resistant coat; an "otter" tail; a clean-cut head with broad back skull and moderate stop; powerful jaws; and its "kind," friendly eyes, expressing character, intelligence and good temperament.
I think the OP's pup looks like a Choco Lab mix. I don't see any pit.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 16,677 times
Default picture of our new pit.

can anyone tell me if he is the color of sable.
Attached Thumbnails
Does my dog look like a pitbull?-img_3641.jpg   Does my dog look like a pitbull?-img_3656.jpg  

Old 09-01-2008, 03:14 PM

103 posts, read 428,112 times
One more vote for a choco lab. Too hard to tell right now but doesn't look like a pit mix.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
He looks more labrador than anything else. When you take him to the vet for immunizations, fill out the paperwork as lab/boxer. That way you have a paper trail to that effect and you shouldn't have any problem with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs