Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times

Advertisements

There is a dog now believed to be a bearded collie mix who is exactly like the one I am fostering, who is running loose around the animal shelter. They told me yesterday he comes into the shelter at night after everyone leaves to sleep. They have seen him run away when they arrive at the shelter. He won't let anyone near him. Several ppl have tried to get close to no avail, even offering food. They have traps for cats, but I guess they don't have one big enough for him, or he is smart enough to stay away.

I wonder if I took the foster over there, if he might come up to him with me there since it appears they are litter mates.

Any suggestion would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:46 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
I'd say this collie is very cautious and smart. He probably has been watching what has happened to other dogs, maybe siblings like you said and knows what will happen if he gets too close. I think the way to earn his trust is to come in after the shelter closes and just sit and wait for him.. not moving toward him. See if he comes up to you to investigate. I mean bring something with you .. try food- like a really good meaty bone and talk to him. Maybe a ball .. Maybe try bringing the foster dog one day. You will have to do this.. I bet.. for awhile. I think going toward him will scare him. Need to make him come to you in a non-threatening way.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Would crouch down and call him in low, soft tones, having something for him to eat is a good idea too (not Milkbones, maybe pieces of cooked chicken, liver (which might be better b/c it's got a stronger scent etc). If that doesn't work, another thought w/b to just open your car door, if where he is is accessible to cars, he might surprise you and go in (this happened to someone I know, their was skittish and wouldnt go to them, he still had the leash on from when he bolted, anyway when they opened the car door, he hopped right in, he was fine but was covered in ticks (was gone 2 or 3 days) ). If your dog is friendly to other dogs, bringing him may work, as Janecj suggested. It may take a bit of time and patience though. Has anyone in the area reported losing a bearded collie? Good luck in getting him.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks.. We know the one I have was brought to the shelter as he was in a crate way too small for him and just left there. Since the other one looks just like him, we think they are related and he was either just turned loose or escaped if they put him in the shelter, since it is being enlarged and not real secure at the moment.

I will talk with the other volunteers to find out when they see him/her.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:11 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Thank you and your co-rescuers for being there for these dogs who were so obviously neglected/abandoned/mistreated.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:39 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Keeper, does a neighboring shelter have a live trap they could loan out?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
I agree with cleosmom. A live trap is the best way to catch a dog such as you describe. On the off chance that the dog hasn't been neutered, a female in heat might make a good attractant. Other than that, savory food works. I'm fostering a dog that was living in the woods for 6 months before he was caught in a live trap. Nothing else worked.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 AM

I will ask today about a larger live trap. I know they have small ones.

Here is a link to a TV commercial ( not recommending the food) that has a dog that looks like him. Any ideas on what breed (mix) he might be? I was stunned when I saw it as the dog looks like my foster in every way.

Beneful® Commercials | Beneful.com (http://www.beneful.com/commercials/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,986 times
possible briard mix?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
I'd say Bearded Collie or a mix with. Here's some pics bearded collie - Google Image Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs