Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,089,159 times

Advertisements

If I may vent... My wife and I tried on two occasions to adopt a rescued dog and ended up buying from a breeder. The first time, at a PetSmart, my wife asked the woman from the rescue group "how does the process work?" meaning what do they require - different groups have different rules, right? The woman raised her eyebrows as if we'd asked 'do dogs poop?' and she said "the interview process?" she rolled her eyes, laughed, and with exagerated sarcasm said "well, we interview you!" ...duh. We were so offended, we walked away.
The second time, my wife and I were volunteers at an adoption event mod cut, at the county fairgrounds. I actually helped the lady unload her car and saw the dog we wanted. My wife did the application. She's a law student, president of the Animal Legal Defense Fund, works for a lawyer who is active with another rescue group, and Puerto Rican. When we never heard from the group, my wife's boss emailed to volutarily give a reference. The reply, well, looking into the application, but the dog might need a surgery (which were aware of and prepared for) and she said she was afraid that, being a student, we might not be able to afford to provide the dogs needs.
Is this a power trip for these people? She didn't even ask to see bank statements, she just assumed we were poor! And the adoption fee was as much as the $500 we paid for a yorkie puppy.
Such a shame, they do good work, but putting people through the ringer to adopt a dog really does more damage than good for their cause.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-06-2013 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: No names, please - could be a consumer complaint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 03:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,424,673 times
Many dog groups like that are on a power trip. People try to do the right thing and some groups take advantage of it. Rightly so that they shouldnt just give to any sham that walks in from the streets but you shouldnt be treated like that.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 PM

692 posts, read 3,857,961 times
Those are the type of rescues that are just stuck up and are usually looking for money and not helping the animals.

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked "what is the process?". Even though it does get old I would never laugh or roll my eyes. Now I have been asked such a stupid question similar to "do dogs poop?" and I did laugh. If you're not ready for a dog; don't fill out an app. That does drive me nuts.

We go through the application process, home check, "talk", and then adoption after you're approved.

I do hope if you ever try to adopt again you find a rescue without a dog bone stuck up their butts! It makes so many other rescues look bad and in return less people want to adopt.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,490,281 times
It really does make you wonder.......

When I recently found a dog, I first tried to contact a breed rescue group (she's a pit bull) to see if they would take her - I had no idea I would be keeping her at the time.

I knew of a local Pit Bull rescue group that appeared to be completely legit and sincere, they had even had recent coverage in our local paper. I made multiple attempts to reach them and heard nothing back! I would have given them a donation to take her, and I had already done an expensive vet visit for her so she had all her shots, etc., I could not even get a simple reply from them. You can be sure I crossed them off my charity donation list .

I understand most rescue groups are volunteer, but it's still disturbing to see these kinds of behaviors.....how many opportunities are being missed by their poor communication?

Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,710,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
If I may vent... My wife and I tried on two occasions to adopt a rescued dog and ended up buying from a breeder. The first time, at a PetSmart, my wife asked the woman from the rescue group "how does the process work?" meaning what do they require - different groups have different rules, right? The woman raised her eyebrows as if we'd asked 'do dogs poop?' and she said "the interview process?" she rolled her eyes, laughed, and with exagerated sarcasm said "well, we interview you!" ...duh. We were so offended, we walked away.
The second time, my wife and I were volunteers at an adoption event, No More Homeless Pets, at the county fairgrounds. I actually helped the lady unload her car and saw the dog we wanted. My wife did the application. She's a law student, president of the Animal Legal Defense Fund, works for a lawyer who is active with another rescue group, and Puerto Rican. When we never heard from the group, my wife's boss emailed to volutarily give a reference. The reply, well, looking into the application, but the dog might need a surgery (which were aware of and prepared for) and she said she was afraid that, being a student, we might not be able to afford to provide the dogs needs.
Is this a power trip for these people? She didn't even ask to see bank statements, she just assumed we were poor! And the adoption fee was as much as the $500 we paid for a yorkie puppy.
Such a shame, they do good work, but putting people through the ringer to adopt a dog really does more damage than good for their cause.
I agree, I wished to help a rescue, anyway, they already had the people list-
I now just go to the breeder.Like I own a home, stay at home ,walk the dog, groom the dog, feed the dog etc.,? Yuck ,I was for free, with the pay amt they wish.
also.Frankly they ask way to many private questions up front b4 you are even considered.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM

692 posts, read 3,857,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It really does make you wonder.......

When I recently found a dog, I first tried to contact a breed rescue group (she's a pit bull) to see if they would take her - I had no idea I would be keeping her at the time.

I knew of a local Pit Bull rescue group that appeared to be completely legit and sincere, they had even had recent coverage in our local paper. I made multiple attempts to reach them and heard nothing back! I would have given them a donation to take her, and I had already done an expensive vet visit for her so she had all her shots, etc., I could not even get a simple reply from them. You can be sure I crossed them off my charity donation list .

I understand most rescue groups are volunteer, but it's still disturbing to see these kinds of behaviors.....how many opportunities are being missed by their poor communication?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I agree, I wished to help a rescue, anyway, they already had the people list-
I now just go to the breeder.Like I own a home, stay at home ,walk the dog, groom the dog, feed the dog etc.,? Yuck ,I was for free, with the pay amt they wish.
also.Frankly they ask way to many private questions up front b4 you are even considered.
This is what makes me dislike so many rescues. They give all rescues a bad rep. I really does make me sad.

Now I understand; don't get me wrong. When I took Teddie home I hadn't planned on keeping him. I contacted the Shih Tzu rescues in my area and they wanted vet records for all of my dogs past and present, three refferences that weren't family, home check, etc. and this was to foster. I couldn't imagine adopting from them.

It just makes me sad because so many people after a few tries stop going to rescues because of some idiots that shouldn't be in rescue anyway.

While we are strict we are resonable and that's what I believe it should be. I don't like most city rescues because they allow any dog to be adopted to any one. We check out the house and make sure they're not taking this dog home to poor conditions because we wrok so hard to get them out, forgive and forget about their past.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,376,200 times
I was turned down by a rescue group because I had a Jack Russell and this is after I sent them photos of my JRT snuggling with the cat...I explained that he was not dog or human agressive and they could also call my dog trainer a well known AKC judge!!!! He actually used my JRT as the demo dog in our class because he was so friendly and willing to please.

I then finally found an out of state rescue group and got a Pem Corgi and they LIED to me about the dogs temperment...Last time I go rescue. I spent more on the rescue dog than I ever would have on a well bred puppy including shots and nutering....sigh.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,289,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
The second time, my wife and I were volunteers at an adoption event, No More Homeless Pets, at the county fairgrounds. I actually helped the lady unload her car and saw the dog we wanted. My wife did the application. She's a law student, president of the Animal Legal Defense Fund, works for a lawyer who is active with another rescue group, and Puerto Rican. When we never heard from the group, my wife's boss emailed to volutarily give a reference. The reply, well, looking into the application, but the dog might need a surgery (which were aware of and prepared for) and she said she was afraid that, being a student, we might not be able to afford to provide the dogs needs.
On the first instance, I'd say you were treated immaturely by a person, not a group.

On the second instance, I say they needed to do a better interview to gain faith that you owned your home and had a fenced yard and all members of the family were in agreement.

I say own the home because I'm used to our area which is 90% anti pet when it comes to rentals.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,932,578 times
We were disappointed with the rescues too. We were not even a consideration because of the age of our child. While I totally understand and respect the rescues wanting to place their dogs with families who are prepared, and wanting to protect themselves from any lawsuits should one of their dogs react less than favorably with a child, I would think they should have at least interviewed us, and visited our home to see what we would have provided one of their rescues and heard how we planned to have our daughter and dog interact. I think it's unfair to people who are prepared to give one of these poor dogs a really good home just because there is a child under 7, 9, 11-whatever their cut-off might be-in the home too. We ended up going to a breeder for a mutt-LOL. How's that for irony. I feel like I should take my dog and daughter, who absolutely adore each other to one of these rescues and have my Pretty Woman moment..."You didn't want to let me adopt one of your dogs because of my daughter...big mistake...HUGE." LOL.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,195 times
Yeah, when I was younger and trying to help a rescue group (I offered to foster), I had a bad experience.

Then in the last few years, I became a "home inspector" for our rescue group (golden retrievers). I wasn't involved in any other aspects, they would just send me a name and I would go to the house, walk around, and talk to the people. Then I would have a form to fill out with 99% factual questions - like "is there a fence? how high?".

The process for these people was very long, but it turns out that there were 4x more applicants than there were goldens. I would get emails 4-6 months after the home visits saying the people finally had their new golden (I had all good experiences with the home visits, I talked up everyone, they were great people).

It does make me wish people would just go to a shelter ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs