Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times

Advertisements

I was thinking back, I've rescued a few dogs over the years and I've never been interviewed.
Maybe I have a trustworthy, animal loving face and they let it go at that but all I did was give money and I got the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:42 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'jenn View Post
Our cats are all rescued and those were (4) great experiences... We tried to work with a rescue but it was really disappointing. After all the interviews, which went fine, the woman came to our house said, "I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for." That was our home inspection. We returned the dog after it attacked two of our kitties. The had promised that the dog was great with cats...The cats where on the other side of the room and she lunged, no antagonism either time. Of course, we had to returen her and they blamed us and where so rude...It was really sad, I thought they would be more concerned with finding the RIGHT home for the dog instead of being inconvenienced. If they had told us the truth about her aggression (to all small animals) we would have known tight away that she wasn't for us. The experience has made us really nervous to use a rescue for a dog in the future.

Bad part of fostering we had 2 cat aggressive dogs and took over a month to figure out and they killed 1 cat unsure of who was that did it.Then 2 kittens killed found the 2 guilty ones and they adopted out to a home no cats but good with other dogs.

We had another loved cats but Alpha personality towards female dogs went to home no other pets.

We did all the work got them treated as we got the sick,injured or very spooked and shy animals and made sure we watched with other dogs cats kids and such to home right.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:00 PM

28 posts, read 108,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Bad part of fostering we had 2 cat aggressive dogs and took over a month to figure out and they killed 1 cat unsure of who was that did it.Then 2 kittens killed found the 2 guilty ones and they adopted out to a home no cats but good with other dogs.

We had another loved cats but Alpha personality towards female dogs went to home no other pets.

We did all the work got them treated as we got the sick,injured or very spooked and shy animals and made sure we watched with other dogs cats kids and such to home right.
That's why I was so uspet with the situation and the rescue's attitude. It's important for the dog and any other animals that it be an appropriate home. I told the lady we where working with about the situation and she was just like, "yeah, she's kind of aggressive to other small animals...She will probably get over it." This after originally assuring me that the dog got along very well with cats and liked other animals! It was really a disappointing situation. We have rescued many other times, this was the only really bad one, but it's scary to see one of your pets hurt.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:39 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
Some get the rescues and try to adopt out ASAP so less cost to them which is not fair to the animal or the adoptee's. Ask what the policy is how long they keep these animals intheir care or foster before adopting out. Some dogs can take months for true personality to show, the 1 cat killer we had was here 4 months before killed first cat.(I wanted to put dog down and had that option,but gave benefit of doubt) This really made me mad as was my cat and not one to like many cats this one was special. The alpha female we had showed true colors in a week.
We got a cat here from Katrina know owner and may go back (difficult circumstances) but unsure yet of that. He took a full year before he let me touch him even though I brought him home. He loved the wife took a month let kids touch him. He has been here 2 years now and just a month ago was petting him and he jumped up in my face and licked it like a kiss. Just shows animals come out of shell in different time frames and those who rescue and adopt ASAP and usually charge big fee's are in it for money even though supposedly non profits.

Just remember going to be some bad apples in every bunch but more good out there than bad.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 AM

13 posts, read 83,812 times
It makes me sad to hear that some folks have given up on adopting homeless pets just because there's some jerk working at a rescue group. I can certainly understand why someone would want to avoid that particular person, or even that particular group, but why give up on the whole process? You wouldn't swear off restaurants just because you've run into a rude waiter or two.

I've adopted two dogs from shelters. The first was from the SPCA in Dallas, TX. It was a painless process. The day after I took him home he developed a bad case of kennel cough. They treated him free of charge. The second one we got from the Humane Society in Pittsburgh, PA. They were amazing. Not only did they find us the perfect dog, they also have a vet clinic available to adopters and it was one of the best I've ever used. They called us a few times in the first year after we adopted Mick, just to see how he was doing. It couldn't have been a better experience.

The other dogs that I've had have all come to me second hand. Matty was my brother's dog, and became my dog when my brother married a woman with two cats. Thorn came to me because his owner was terminally ill and could no longer care for him. Rusty belonged to my neighbor and was attacked by a vicious dog. He wasn't home when the attack happened so I took him to the vet and ran up some huge vet bills. Rusty's owner couldn't handle either the vet bills or the post surgical care so he asked me to take him. My current dog, Nebby, was being treated horribly by his former owners. He was underfed, left outside with no shelter in sub-freezing weather, and was routinely hit and kicked. According to the nice lady at the city animal control office since they hadn't registered the dog it didn't legally belong to them, and since he wasn't restrained at all it was just a matter of luring him into the street and scooping him up. Now he's well-fed, warm and dry, and if anyone ever even thinks about hitting or kicking him they'll be fighting us both!

Please don't give up on homeless animals just because of some thoughtless, irresponsible person! If you have a bad experience with one group, find another. There are tons of them out there.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:56 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
I'm going to speak up on behalf of rescue groups. I know the process is time-consuming and feels invasive, but step back and look at it another way.

Reputable rescue groups have to maintain that reputation, and it's hard earned. Many times rescues are taken from the very worst of situations and have a few warts and bumps - they can't go to just any home, they need someone who understands and who has a home that is prepared to deal with any issues. A home visit is almost a must - but they aren't looking at your dust bunnies or your dirty dishes (unless they've been there in the sink two weeks) - they are looking for a fence or a reasonable way of dealing with exercise and pottying...a family that is united in the desire to have a dog, and a dog that fits into that particular home, potential health hazards like poisonous plants, etc. They check references to make sure you do vet your animals; sometimes they check personal references, and you'd be surprised at the things you can find out from talking to a potential owner's friends. If a dog has been taken from a bad situation and goes to someone ill prepared to care for his needs or issues, or who is simply unaware of the magnitude of the issues, you will have a return...never a good thing for a rescue that doesn't have enough foster homes to begin with. The goal IS to make everyone happy, but a rescue's main focus is to do what is best for that dog. Although I am sure you may have a wonderful home, it may not be the right home for that particular dog you have your heart set on. It's sort of a crap shoot - you make the best judgment you can with sometimes nothing but a gut feeling to go on. And a rescue is responsible for these dogs FOR LIFE under most contracts. If at any point you have to return the dog, they agree to take it back. So we're looking for incredibly stable homes - these dogs have been shuffled from one place to another and we are looking for forever homes. I recall one case in question where we had a poor boy who had been shuffled pillar to post for almost 2 years. An EXCELLENT adoptive family was found and had him for 4 years...and then dad lost his job, they subsequently lost their home, and by the time the family called us they were living in their van. It was so terribly sad, and heartbreaking when they had to surrender the dog back to the rescue. It was a Rottweiler...he had gone into their home as a 2 year old male and came out at 6 years old. Very few people want to adopt the older dogs...and he languished in a foster home until FINALLY another home was found. The dog was depressed, the people that gave him up were depressed...it was just simply awful. That's the kind of thing that can't be foreseen. There was no way to predict this situation, we did the best we could, but life interfered with this family who loved this dog so very much. All that being said, it's the type situation we try to avoid. People who are very young, with unstable work histories, people who have given away a multitude of pets because they tired of them or they didn't fit their lifestyle - that's what we try to weed out.

A couple of other things the rescue must consider is liability. A reputable rescue is not going to send out a dog that could potentially be a loose cannon. When the buck stops, it stops with the rescue. Although most are 501c3 corporations, it's not unheard of for a good attorney to get around that and sue individuals. It CAN be done, and has. And remember that your rescued dog or cat may not behave at your house as it did at the foster home. Different standards, expectations, and training methods can sometimes bring out the worst in a rescued pet.

Most rescue orgs are run by volunteers - it's what they do in their "spare" time because they love the breed. Are there bad groups? Of course, but the majority of rescues do not want bad press, bad word of mouth, or bad placements under their flag. We aren't professionals by any means...we're just pet lovers like you, doing the best we can with sometimes slightly damaged goods while trying to protect the general public and our organization at the same time. It's a fine line to walk...but bottom line is that these are dogs that have been cast aside for whatever reason - we only want the very best for them. They have been "chosen", so to speak, to escape being euthanized much of the time, and we feel we owe them the best life possible.

Try not to look at rescue as invading your privacy - try to look at it as securing heaven on earth for an unwanted animal. You may get declined, and it may be on one person's thoughts that may be way off base...but again, we're only doing the best we know how under the circumstances.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I'm going to speak up on behalf of rescue groups. I know the process is time-consuming and feels invasive, but step back and look at it another way.

Reputable rescue groups have to maintain that reputation, and it's hard earned. Many times rescues are taken from the very worst of situations and have a few warts and bumps - they can't go to just any home, they need someone who understands and who has a home that is prepared to deal with any issues. A home visit is almost a must - but they aren't looking at your dust bunnies or your dirty dishes (unless they've been there in the sink two weeks) - they are looking for a fence or a reasonable way of dealing with exercise and pottying...a family that is united in the desire to have a dog, and a dog that fits into that particular home, potential health hazards like poisonous plants, etc. They check references to make sure you do vet your animals; sometimes they check personal references, and you'd be surprised at the things you can find out from talking to a potential owner's friends. If a dog has been taken from a bad situation and goes to someone ill prepared to care for his needs or issues, or who is simply unaware of the magnitude of the issues, you will have a return...never a good thing for a rescue that doesn't have enough foster homes to begin with. The goal IS to make everyone happy, but a rescue's main focus is to do what is best for that dog. Although I am sure you may have a wonderful home, it may not be the right home for that particular dog you have your heart set on. It's sort of a crap shoot - you make the best judgment you can with sometimes nothing but a gut feeling to go on. And a rescue is responsible for these dogs FOR LIFE under most contracts. If at any point you have to return the dog, they agree to take it back. So we're looking for incredibly stable homes - these dogs have been shuffled from one place to another and we are looking for forever homes. I recall one case in question where we had a poor boy who had been shuffled pillar to post for almost 2 years. An EXCELLENT adoptive family was found and had him for 4 years...and then dad lost his job, they subsequently lost their home, and by the time the family called us they were living in their van. It was so terribly sad, and heartbreaking when they had to surrender the dog back to the rescue. It was a Rottweiler...he had gone into their home as a 2 year old male and came out at 6 years old. Very few people want to adopt the older dogs...and he languished in a foster home until FINALLY another home was found. The dog was depressed, the people that gave him up were depressed...it was just simply awful. That's the kind of thing that can't be foreseen. There was no way to predict this situation, we did the best we could, but life interfered with this family who loved this dog so very much. All that being said, it's the type situation we try to avoid. People who are very young, with unstable work histories, people who have given away a multitude of pets because they tired of them or they didn't fit their lifestyle - that's what we try to weed out.

A couple of other things the rescue must consider is liability. A reputable rescue is not going to send out a dog that could potentially be a loose cannon. When the buck stops, it stops with the rescue. Although most are 501c3 corporations, it's not unheard of for a good attorney to get around that and sue individuals. It CAN be done, and has. And remember that your rescued dog or cat may not behave at your house as it did at the foster home. Different standards, expectations, and training methods can sometimes bring out the worst in a rescued pet.

Most rescue orgs are run by volunteers - it's what they do in their "spare" time because they love the breed. Are there bad groups? Of course, but the majority of rescues do not want bad press, bad word of mouth, or bad placements under their flag. We aren't professionals by any means...we're just pet lovers like you, doing the best we can with sometimes slightly damaged goods while trying to protect the general public and our organization at the same time. It's a fine line to walk...but bottom line is that these are dogs that have been cast aside for whatever reason - we only want the very best for them. They have been "chosen", so to speak, to escape being euthanized much of the time, and we feel we owe them the best life possible.

Try not to look at rescue as invading your privacy - try to look at it as securing heaven on earth for an unwanted animal. You may get declined, and it may be on one person's thoughts that may be way off base...but again, we're only doing the best we know how under the circumstances.

I got all that, and appreciated it for the most part, when I read the different requirements when I checked out the rescue organizations before we got our dog. I just think some of the requirements were unfair and a little over the top. They never even got to the point of checking out my home b/c my application was not even eligible b/c of the age of my child. I just think that there is a golden retriever somewhere waiting to be rescued that had to miss out on a really good home because of a generalization about young children. Their loss, my dog's gain I guess.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I got all that, and appreciated it for the most part, when I read the different requirements when I checked out the rescue organizations before we got our dog. I just think some of the requirements were unfair and a little over the top. They never even got to the point of checking out my home b/c my application was not even eligible b/c of the age of my child. I just think that there is a golden retriever somewhere waiting to be rescued that had to miss out on a really good home because of a generalization about young children. Their loss, my dog's gain I guess.

And some things do seem a bit unfair, I'll grant you that. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that because it is a retriever maybe they had some concerns about prey drive, but of course I can't know that for sure. And requirements will vary, sometimes vastly, from one org to another.

..just remember, a rescue is a rescue, whether from the humane society, someone who wants to ditch a dog, or going through a formal org.

I wish you the best on your quest to have a golden - they surely are sweet dogs - and I do hope you'll keep your eye out for that special one. I don't know about where you are, but at our shelter you can even sign up if you're looking for something specific and they (allegedly) will contact you if a pet comes in that meets your needs.

Good luck again!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,278,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
And some things do seem a bit unfair, I'll grant you that. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that because it is a retriever maybe they had some concerns about prey drive, but of course I can't know that for sure. And requirements will vary, sometimes vastly, from one org to another.

..just remember, a rescue is a rescue, whether from the humane society, someone who wants to ditch a dog, or going through a formal org.

I wish you the best on your quest to have a golden - they surely are sweet dogs - and I do hope you'll keep your eye out for that special one. I don't know about where you are, but at our shelter you can even sign up if you're looking for something specific and they (allegedly) will contact you if a pet comes in that meets your needs.

Good luck again!
They do that at the pound by us as well.
You write in the specific breed and they will e-mail you mixes and pures of the breed as it shows up in the pound.

Very Helpful!

I know in a rescue my dog would be deemed "older child household" but he's actually awesome w/ babies(besides the licking) and children and softens around them. BUt his prey drive is very high!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 04:13 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,912,334 times
Default Rescue won't adopt to families with young children

Arbitrary age cut-offs for children can seem unfair and it is something our rescue struggles with. We prefer not to adopt dogs into homes with children under 10. Here are our thoughts:
  • Small children move quickly and their behavior and movements are unpredictable. Dogs can feel threatened by the normal actions of a small child. Fearful dogs may growl or even bite.
  • Many dogs are prey-driven to some extent, and small children can be fun to chase, herd or catch.
  • Children usually lack the experience or training to enable them to read the body language of a dog that is experiencing stress, fear or aggression.
  • Parents of small children don't always have the luxury of time, and it takes time and sustained attention to monitor the interactions of a dog and a child, and to train them both to understand each other.
  • We don't know the history of most dogs that come into rescue. Unfortunately, people aren't always honest about why they are relinquishing a dog. Dogs that are strays or from shelters may need months in a stable environment to show their real personalities.
  • Breed characteristics are generalizations. Not all Goldens are good with children, for example.
  • If a child is bitten by a dog, it may not leave a physical scar, but the child could be emotionally scarred and the experience might damage both the family's relationship with the dog and the child's ability to relate to any dog in the future.
As rescue volunteers, we know that there are few absolutes. We are responsible for placing a dog in your home, and we don't want there to be any potential risk for your child as a result of that placement. We know that we have to eliminate some wonderful homes as a result of our policy, but we feel a responsibility to you and your child as well as to our dogs. We believe that if we save one child from being hurt it is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs