Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM

26 posts, read 68,781 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Mrs1885- I'm hoping that by now you have an answer for BooBoo's lump and that it was good news.

Charlie's mom- Yes, radiation and chemo do help. It depends on the type of radiation that you do. Some have hardly any side effects. Each dog reacts differently to chemo, but with the help of anti-nausea and anti-dairrhea meds, you probably won't see any side effects. Let us know what you decide. As far as Charlie knowing that he has cancer....he might. Depends on the dog. We have consulted an animal communicator quite a few times. She told us that Hardee knows he is dying and has some anger over it because he LOVES his life so much. He thought he would be here another 10 years with us. Hardee has become a reactive dog to some dogs since this whole cancer thing started. He loved all dogs before this, so we were very taken back by this new behavior. The animal communicator said he was defensive of himself towards the other dogs that knew he was weak...the ones that said to him "I know you are dying" and he didn't want them to know he was weak.

Oscarmom- Beautiful boy! He was blessed to have you as a mom. Thanks for checking in!

Corgi lover- Sorry you had to find us. Yes, radiation is the first line of defense against nasal tumors that most oncologists recommend. We did cyberknife radiation. Very expensive but hardly any side effects. Let us know what you decide.

Christina- Sophie's picture was so cute! Love the green eyes, and agree that it is hilarious after radiation!! I hope the sore areas in the picture are getting better and that she is out of the cone soon. Hope your back muscle is better too!

We just got back from a road trip to NoCal for a water trial for Hardee. Yes, your mind's pic of Hardee jumping mid air into the water were spot on, Christina. We are at our one year anniversary of Hardee living life to the fullest with cancer. It has been a very tough year but a blessed one at the same time. We are enjoying our summer with Hardee and letting him do what he wants and what he loves. We have taken 2 months off from agility but will start back competing in a couple weeks. We go again to SoCal this Thursday for his water practice. Besides me, Hardee's loves are agility and water work, and it brings us so much joy to watch Hardee so happy in spite of it all.

I hope everyone else is enjoying their time with their pups and enjoying every quality second they can get. Our best wishes to you all for better health for your beloved dogs, and extra strength for you all as you fight on.

Jen- grateful mom to happy, heroic, handsome Hardee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 AM

16 posts, read 39,315 times
Default Charlies Progress

I have chosen not to treat Charlie. I hope I don't regret it. He is 11yrs and otherwise in good health. But my vet feels its not a good option. Apparently his tumor is nearer the brain cavity and doesn't want to put Charlie through it. I don't either, but I read about some amazing recoveries, too. So I am feeling conflicted.

Charlie is having a hard time breathing at night (already - it's only been maybe 6 weeks since his diagnosis. I'm scared. I don't want him to hurt or suffer. I have contacted a hospice vet and she said I can call anytime and she can come to euthanize him anytime (with a few exceptions).

Charlie is my favorite dog. My other dogs and cats know this. His is my special boy. My dog-o-love. My Charlie Barley Boy Dog of Love Extrordinare (his full name).

How do I know it is time? What happens at night when they can't breathe? What do I do? What other signs should I look for?

Why is this happening so quickly?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I am sorry to hear about Charlie. There is nothing wrong with choosing no treatment but you have to tell yourself that it is the right choice for him then believe it and later not play the " what if games" with yourself as you have no reason to ever feel gulity about your decision. Being Human we seem to like guilt. Death is just a part of life so accepting that does help some we really can't fight it as it always does win we can just stall it sometimes but in the end.... I say this having battled Dash's nasal cancer and then the next year having to deal with Jazz my 14.5 yr old dog developing a tumor in her zygomatic gland that pushed her eye forward and cause it to rupture. Never knew if it was cancer but despite her being a healthy active old dog I just could not put her through any pain that surgery would have involved.She was a dog that HATED vets and that would have been traumatic so I had to do not what was best for me but what was best for her and put her to sleep . I feel I did what was right for Dash too and we had lots of quality time together. So to me it just depends on what is best for the dog in question then I stick with that.

When dogs can't breath at night they tend to be awake panting a lot and Dash paced a lot if he had trouble., During the day they do pretty well but for some reason panting while one sleeps is difficult. What do you do? Well sometimes I just got up and sat with him other times I just let him be. It was this behavior then the added sneeze of a very small amount of blood that made me think something was wrong and lead to me telling the vet, The IMRT helped fix the breathing issues for quite awhile but infections and later swelling from the neoplasene woud lead to some tough nights.

Why is it happening so fast? Well cancers are different then add to that they are different in each being, some are lucky and it is a slow growing less invasive others get the fast growing very invasive forms and they can grow fast. We also all tend to find it at different stages, I found Dash's long before there was any outside swelling on his muzzle others do not notice until that swelling happens and by then the cancer tends to be a lot more advanced. If a vet gives you a time frame say 6 months well that is an Average meaning some dogs live way past it even a year or more and others die much sooner even a few days after learning. Death is something that none of us can say for sure when it will strike as it is out of our hands.

How do you know when it is time? First remember the most important thing is the dogs quality of life ( and not your own aching heart) . Make a list of things your dog enjoys then as he seems to no longer be able to do them and you cross them off so that list is shorter and shorter you will have a good idea as what is life when your enjoyment is gone?
Even Dash who tolerated treatments well and was always happy started to slow down and I started to get the vibe that time was running out and that he was ready to leave me ( Not so with Jazz who stomped her feet in protest about going back inside at the vets that day) It is hard to explain but they give you this look that just sort of says I am done here. It will never be an easy decision but try to view it as the one last act of total love you can give your dog and that is to end all pain and suffering and let them go one with life journey and yes leave you behind to deal with your own pain of a broken heart.

With Dash because I saw that day coming I gave him his special time and took him to Mcdonalds and got him a kids meal, Cheeseburger, fries and some of MY chocolate shake and he and I went and sat on the cliffs over looking his farvorite place the ocean and ate and I will tell you he thought he had died and gone to heaven already getting that meal. That memory helped me a lot. ( he had a caste iron gut so I knew he would not get sick from it ) The next day we went to say good bye to a group of park friends and one of them had gotten him and IN and Out burger with all the fixings and he gobbled it then looked at her asking " where are the fries and the chocolate shake???" It was very funny. Jazz did not get that as hers happened to fast just a few days after her MRI the eye ruptured but sealed so I dropped her off at the vets for him to see and he called later saying I had to make a decision fast either he get on the phone and try to find a surgeon with the skill to do the surgery that could do it that afternoon or I put her down that day to avoid further pain. so all she got was me coming and taking her on a last walk and arguing with her ( she loved to wooo arooo in arguments and stomp her front feet as she did..it was all that cattle dog blood) about going back inside the vets after that walk then holding her while life left her.

Dogs are a huge part of our lifes so it does hurt to say good bye but they will live on forever in your heart in the form of memories. My memories of Dash and Jazz make me laugh and smile and have allowed me to go on and open my heart to Dazzle and Chaos and they in turn have taken away the heart ache. Being at the point you are now it seems llike " how will I ever survive this life with out my beloved dog?" But you do and life does go on and not being held back by the guilt and what if's gets you there faster.

Just my telling you about the last days of Dash and Jazz has made me smile and for a few minutes they have been right here with me if only in memory

Helen Keller said " What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen was a very smart woman!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Dear Charlie's mom,

My heart and thoughts are with you as we all stumble through this cancer crap together. Charlie is lucky to have you as his mom, and you will know. He loves and trusts you. You will do what is best at the right time. Love him while you can.

Hardee mom - Jen

Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM

Thank you for your posts.

Charlie, Maddy and Blue all go for walks with me in the morning around the park. Imagine that - three big dogs who out weigh me by 80lbs! But they are good old dogs. A man was running with his two dogs and my dogs wanted to run after them. Charlie's ears perked up and we ran a bit until someone (not me) had to poop (twice that happened). So we stopped, cleaned up and went on our way. It is good to see Charlie perk up like that and really enjoy those moments.

I know he is aware of something wrong with him and I can tell he looks to me for guidance.

We have our routines of going out to go potty at certain times. Every now and then, one of the dogs will hang back and refuse to go out. When they do that, I know I have been ignoring them and that they are telling me they need special time. It's funny, because they only refuse now and then, and each one has done it, and rewarding them with a bit of love and time with me seems to allow them to feel good enough to get back to the routine. So Blue hung back today and let me know he needed a bit of special time. Charlie has been getting to go everywhere with me and Maddy gets to go somewhere with me alone, too (he doesn't realize it is to the veterinarian). So, healthy Blue was getting ignored and he fixed that situation.

I am enjoying spending more time with my fur kids. Their time here is so short. Charlie's cancer has been a harsh reminder.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Jazz got jealous of Dash going places alone with me all the time too after all she was the queen and top dog. If there was a way to make them understand it was to the vets she would not have been jealous at all. The radiation treatment was in the evening and in a human facility so the only ones allowed inside were the vet, his staff and the animal being treated meaning owners sat in their car for at least an hour. The place was in a huge industrial building complex so the back parking lot where we were was empty so after the first treatment I started taking Jazz and she and I played ball as Dash got his treatment. He came out still groggy and I think she then understoodshe really did not want to go inside that place with him as it was looking like a vet might be in there and she hated vets.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
I had to put my dog Dallas down today. His nasal cancer advanced fast. My heart is broken but I knew it was the right thing to do. My vet diagnosed it right away and told me exactly what would happen. She said radiation was available but it wouldn't prolong his life significantly and it would not be comfortable. He was put on pregnisone and that helped for a while. About a month from the diagnosis and while still on pregnisone he started bleeding profusely from the nose again. His right eye turned up into his head and he was having trouble breathing and getting comfortable. He was panting very hard. His vet and I agreed it was time for him to be made comfortable. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. The night before I cooked him a steak and he ate half the bone. (Ever try getting something out of a Saint Bernard's mouth that they really want?) I was with him to the end and kissed him goodbye. He will always be in my heart and I will always love him. I am having a very hard time right now but I know with time it will get easier. You have to decide whether you are prolonging his life for you or for the dog. I know it is heartbreaking. I just went through it this morning and I will probably never stop crying. But he is at peace.

Last edited by Dallas'sMom; 08-25-2011 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 05:06 PM

I am very sorry about Dallas. I am sure he was very happy to have you there giving him kisses in his last moments.

I know it hurts. Your love for him carried him through.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 PM

I am very sorry to read about Dallas. You loved him very much, and he knew that. You were both lucky to have found each other. My thoughts will be with you as you figure out life without Dallas. He will be in your heart always.

Jen- Hardee's mom

Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM

You have my deepest sympathy . Just Know Dallas will live on forever in you heart via the memories you have of him. It is rough but time does heal the wound of a broken heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs