Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 PM

9 posts, read 37,391 times

Advertisements

well i guess that is inevitable

but let me back up

the horrible butcher of a vet here has killed another one of my cats that makes 2 in 2 months she had a non life threatening injury and he really messed her up an abcess that he did not drain it was awful and i am heartbroken she was one of my favorites and she was healthy and should not have died i will not even utter the thoughts in my head about what i fantasize doing to that vet and his family i am not big on forgiveness

i am in so much pain that i do not know how i carry on

now mommy does need to see a vet all this time we have done w/out one and she had been good

the last few days she had not been eating well and her breath was really bad

once the tumor appeared the bleeding stoped for quite a while

but the bleeding started again not too heavy

so i looked in her mouth today and an upper molar was hanging by a thread so to speak so i pulled it out i was afraid she might swallow it

the hole above it was all black and nasty and located just under the tumor so i guess it is poking thru

i really need to get her to a real vet but that is a big problem

i finally got a referral for a different vet for the cat but it was too late too much damage had been done

this is a very good vet the only problem is that he is an hour away in David Panama i do not have a car and dogs are not allowed on busses and she is a dobie and too big to sneak on the bus

taking a dog in a taxi is a whole other logistical nightmare as many do not take dogs or they will put them in the trunk

also the cost is about 20usd one way and that is a lot for me to spend

and i need to take some of the kitties in too but first i have to find a driver that will take me and agree on price but i have to go into town and find them

and panamaian taxi drivers do not drive in costa rica and vice versa

so i am overwhelmed

on a positive note i found some doxycyclin we had not used up and even giving her just one her breath odor has cleared up

i have not given up yet she did eat a little sardines today and yesterday and friday i must have given her about a pound of ground beef

she has been following me whenever i leave the house she has major seperation anxiety

i am just very worried about the hole in her mouth and infection

i knew early on that i would not be able to persue more advanced treatments like many of you have for financial reasons but also this is not a survivable cancer and the stress that the dog goes thru i am not sure is worth it

considering she has had this for almost a year w/out any treatment except for some pediatric nasal spray i would have to say we have done very well and been very lucky but i would like to try predisone now that the tumor is visable i am aware of the long term negative side effects but that takes years of taking the drug

what is the usual dose for a50-60lb dog

has anyone had the tumor push thru the mouth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM

16 posts, read 39,315 times
Doxycyline has antiinfectant and anti inflamitory effects. he is taking 100mg 2x a day. Prednisone has also has anti inflamitory effects, the dose for Charlie is 20mg of prednisone. He is 60lbs. And it has helped his breathing. It seems like a good combination for him.

Peroxicam is an Nsaid with anti cancer properties that many find helpful Charlie couldn't tolerate it, it would make him barf.

Use a vaporizer or humidifier to help with breathing also. Exercise helps Charlie sleep better as well.

I haven't seen any tumor coming through Charlies mouth, but his breath is horrendous! And it hasn't always been that way. I can smell it 6 feet away!

Good luck.

Marilyn

Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 PM

26 posts, read 68,781 times
Mommy's mommy - I'm sorry to read of all of your problems, especially with getting good vet care. Luckily, I haven't had experience with a tumor coming through the mouth. I cannot help you much. Hardee is not on Doxy, nor is he on Pred. I hope Mommy is pain free and that you find some help soon or at least some peace.

Hi Marilyn - How is Charlie? Is his breath any better? Do you know the cause?

We are having some issues with Hardee. We went through a very bad bleed earlier this week, and the house looks like someone was slaughtered. What concerns me about this bleed: 1) it was unprovoked...there was no catalyst that set off the bleed like before (running hard to chase his ball, biopsy, etc.), and it just kept bleeding. 2) the blood was coming from the "good" side of his nose. We have never had blood come from that side of his nose before, but just a couple days ago, we had some "normal" drainage for the first time. Hours later, the blood was coming from both sides of his nose. 3) He seemed to be anxious during the bleed (yawning a lot), and I think I saw signs of pain. He kept rubbing his face/muzzle on anything he could and he kept scratching at it.

As soon as I'd think we got the bleeding to stop, he'd sneeze, again, blow blood everywhere, and we were back at it again. Today, there is only old blood when he sneezes and not even with every sneeze.

I called today to his oncologist to get him started back on cyclophosphamide and peroxicam. Hardee has been off those drugs since Aug because they were affecting his kidneys. He only gets to take the peroxicam twice a week now, but at least I have something to give him.

Other things that are concerning is he sounds congested, despite the daily antibiotics. Also, he has started reverse sneezing again. He'll sometimes get stuck in a reverse sneezing cycle for an hour or more. He also gags constantly now. At first I thought it was the drainage from his nose going down the back of his throat. Then I thought it was all the blood, but maybe it is the tumor growing back there.

Hardee still lives with joy, and he looks forward to running agility this weekend (if all goes well).

Jen

Old 12-17-2011, 07:09 AM

16 posts, read 39,315 times
Jen - that must be scary! Charlie does some gagging and weird human like sounds that come from his throat. The tumor is going down this throat according to the ct scan. I hope Hardy is doing ok. Poor little guy. I'm sure you are doing the best for him possible.

Charlie lost his sight a couple of days ago , he seemed to have some peripheral vision, but last night it went completely. I have to lead him around. His sense of smell is also completely gone. I held an open can of cat food right in front of him and he couldn't even tell it was there. His hearing is bad, he has a difficult time discerning where sound comes from, so he can't follow my voice well at all. His ears perk up to listen, but then he will walk to one side or the other. He is eating, but not well, I have to hand feed him mostly. But he doesn't seem to be in much, if any pain. He is still very happy to hear my voice and feel my touch.

I am afraid he is lost in a black, senseless void. He also has a very slight facial change (only a mother would notice), making me think the tumor is growing. I am glad he isn't miserable. He can breathe ok and is able to sleep. Mostly, he just wants to be right beside me and when I get up to go somewhere in the house, he tries to follow me, stumbling over Christmas boxes and the other dogs. Maddy growls if he gets close. She doesn't like be stumbled over.

We were going to try some herbs with another vet, but it seems too late for it. He isn't eating reliably enough, he would have to be on a bland(er) diet and I don't think he would continue eating. Plus, it is hard on stomachs and he has a sensitive one. The other part was a tube inserted up his nose with the herb solution, but I didn't want Charlie to have to go through that at this point, and it could send him in to seizure if it went through to his brain. Plus, even if it did work, and the tumor was reduced or eliminated, his brain could be exposed. So, instead, we are going to sit together and walk together until he lets me know it is time.

I am surprised he still seems so happy.

Marilyn

Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 PM

I'm glad that Charlie seems so happy, Marilyn, but I'm so sorry about his eyesight and his sense of smell. That must be hard. I'll keep extra special thoughts for Charlie going here.

We have some bad news ourselves. We got home late last night from SoCal for an emergency appt. and CT scan for Hardee with one of his oncologists. I could not get the bleeding under control, and it had been on and off for almost a week now. The scan showed extensive spread of the tumor from his right nasal passage, where it originated, into his left (we knew that but never expected this much growth in 6 months since his last scan), but the devastating news is that the tumor has spread into his left frontal sinus in his forehead, almost completely blocking the entire sinus.

It was a traumatic day yesterday for all. Hardee was pushed over his limit as to what he could endure. He had been taken to and from the back for his blood work and chest radiographs, etc. numerous times. Then we had to wait for 4 hours for the CT scan, and Hardee became more and more anxious, despite all the calming techniques I tried. When they finally took him back for the scan, he lost control and tried to bite at the techs. They came and got us, took us to the back to get a muzzle on him, and he would lunge and bite at the muzzle in my hands getting my finger in the process. I could not calm him down. It was horrible to witness because this was a dog I didn't recognize anymore, and I was horrified for Hardee and what I had put him through. I cannot bear to write what happened next.

He is home with us now, doing good (comparatively speaking), and almost back to his normal personality. His nose bled this morning but has stopped for now. We are trying to decide what our next steps will be. Keep him in your thoughts and/or prayers, please. Jen

Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 40,344 times
Default My dog Ralphie

Jenn and Marilyn, I am sorry to hear about the progress of this disease with your beloved dogs--my Ralphie (I last wrote in August) has now been on piroxicam for 6 months. His tumor is now showing in his face, below his right eye. While he has fewer nosebleeds, he had 2 last week that were significant. He also now makes sounds of gagging, snorting, etc. mainly while lying down. I think his tumor could be growing in different directions; I'm not doing anymore CT scans, etc., mainly due to the cost. Ralphie is eating and still wants to go for short walks.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious pets, and I appreciate your sharing of how they are doing. It helps me stay strong and keep perspective with my own situation.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Ralphie's mom - I'm sorry to read that Ralphie's tumor is now showing in his face. Thankfully, we don't have that yet, but now that I'm aware that it can happen, I'll be looking for it. Knowledge is power, no matter how scary that knowledge is and no matter how much I never wanted to know about this first hand, so thank you for sharing that info. Does he seem to be in pain? I'm glad to read that Ralphie still wants to go for walks and that he eats well.

I ask about Ralphie's pain because I fear the pain for Hardee. I understand there will be bad days, etc., but thinking of Hardee in pain, I just cannot bear it. I give Hardee 2, sometimes 3, 50mg tramadol each day. He rubs his face and forehead on things all the time, and he'll scratch and bat at his face/forehead with his feet so I know it bothers him.

Hardee has been very congested lately, but we haven't had any blood for a couple days now. Lots of sneezing and blowing out mucus and snot, and drainage, but no blood....knock on wood. His temperment is back to his normal self also.

I hope everyone has the best holidays they can, under the circumstances. You all and your precious pups will stay close to my heart, and I hope my wish for us all comes true....a little more extra quality time with our pups. Merry Christmas.

Jennie and Hardee

Old 12-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Default Mommy is doing much better

well i am happy to report that that mommy has responded very well to the combo of doxy and pred

she was on doxy 100 mg 2x per for 6 days and i started her on pred 10 mg per day i thought about increaing the dosage but it seems to be working well

she responded almost immediately the bad odor is gone her appetite is excellant and she regained the weight she lost

the one goodthing about living here is that most medications do not require a prescription and antibiotics are cheap i think i paid 11 USD for 10 100mg doxy and 79 cents for 20 mg pred per pill which i cut in
half

the
bleeding has lessened

she still has congestion and makesthese strange noises and seems like her ears get blocked i can relate as i have bad sinus problems and nasal congestion and my ears are always a bit blocked

the odd thing was that once on the meds the swelling on the side of her right snout went away but once offthe antibiotics cameback

i am also noticing this crusty thick stuff at the end of her right nostril

ihave read that nasal cancer can cause loose teeth idont know that the tumor has come thru but seems that if it isin the nasal passage it coud come thru

iknow it would best to get her to a real vet but it would cost me about 60 RT each time just fortransportation alone and idonot have that as iamon a very small disability pension and and usually run out between check often going the last week of the month w/out food for myself

the animals are alwaysfed

she seems very happy is always wagging her tail soi know she must be feeing better right now she has a little bit of blood comming out the right nostril and is making these grunting noises but it used to be much worse

what i am afraid of is experiencing roid rage of her becomming more aggressive

she is a dobie and can appear very fierce and has been known to growl at some of the cats and even lunge although she has never hurt any of them

Old 12-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Default financial assistance

for those of you needing help paying for your babies treatment try contacting Canine Cancer Awareness i think they are currently providing grant money or you could see if you can get someone to sponser you

i do not have the link but just type in the name on google

there are forms you can download on their site

b/c of my situation i have had to be very resourceful in treating my dog

i have found pediatric nose drops help w/congestion Afrin saline to flush out the gunk you can buy or make it

doxycycline for infection and prednisone i am using 10 mg for a 60 lb dog although i have read that it is recomended 1mg per pound of body weight

common sense tells me to use the lowest dose possible to get a therapeutic response

although i have not had an official diagnosis i did take her to a vet early early on and have ruled out any tickborn disease and bleeding disorder she is a Dobie and has had many of the classic symptons of nasal cancer

starting w/unilateral nasal bleeding nasal congestion sneezing reverse sneezing really bad breath infection mouth breathing snoring loudly etc

then bilateral bleeding and the appearance of a large swelling on the right side of her snout and bouts of anorexia loose teeth etc

all i can tell u is what i am treating her w/is working and she continues to rally

i realize she is living on borrowed time as the prognosis for this kind of cancer is not good but also they can live a long time w/this i guess that would depend on location and size of the tumor and rate of growth

i do not believe in any of the natural or holistic treatments they are very expensive and not regulated and there is a reason the FDA has not approved them

whenever she stops eating i feed her raw ground beef and that gets her going i get the cheap stuff i figure the higher the fat content the sooner she will regain the weight

Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 17,086 times
Default spindle cell sarcoma

hi guys, just a update on sandy.......she has completed her 12 sessions of radiation and all i can do now is enjoy her day to day quality of life..

I found a grt book "the dog cancer survival guide" dr Demian Dressler DVM it has given me grt comfort....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs