Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,701,285 times

Advertisements

Thank you!! He certainly knows it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,677 times
HELP!!!! I have(2) 1 year old neutered litter mates pembroke corgis. I inherited my son's (Bruce) in May. He had spent time here and was fine. He has become increasingly aggressive. I always let him know I'm in charge. His aggression was always directed towards Rufus (litter mate) Today when I attempted to "correct" his bad behavior he snarled and bit me ...HARD. I locked him in his crate, he used to really love and respect me, now he growls when i get near him. What happeneed?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Can you help me?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
Not sure what happened - maybe adolescence although he's neutered - good that you corrected him, he needs to know what's acceptable and what's not acceptable. I wouldnt let him be nasty to Rufus as that's unacceptable behavior. Have you taken him to obedience classes and does he get enough exercise?, they were bred to herd and the more exercise they get, prob. the better it is (w/in reason) - remember, 'a tired dog is a good dog'. As for the growling, not sure but it's not good, would prob. take him to the vet to make sure he doesnt have any physical problems and isn't in pain etc. Perhaps Corgi Rescue can help give you some ideas, would contact them.

PS << Can you help me? >>
People will help you but be patient, your post just came thru a few minutes ago, not everyone's online all the time but I have no doubt you'll get some good help, in the meantime you can check out some of the other posts and see if any correlates to your situation.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 PM

Thank You! I was just so shocked that he would behave like that towards me. I did take him out for a long run this afternoon (after the incident) I have been lax on their exercise due to the heat and school starting, I haven't had as much time to devote to both of them. They are both now sound asleep in their crates. To look at my beautiful boy, you would never think he was capable of such horrible behavior. I live in a very small town and don't really have training for them available to me. Around here, unless you have a Lab or any hunting dog obedience classes are a "pipe dream"
I live in an area where folks don't value their pets the same way i do. Again, THANK YOU!!!! I will contact Corgi Rescue and the vet tomorrow afternoon.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
I'm having troubles with my corgis, and I don't know what to do. I have 2 Pembroke Welsh Corgis, Ashton and Avery. Ash is our boy that is little over a year, and Avery is our little girl that will be 6 months in Jan. Both of them are fixed and very sweet individually. However, it's gotten really bad lately with them fighting. Avery will do a low growl and make her "teeth-baring wolf face" and Ash will snap back. They really fight it out, and it's just breaking my heart to see them act this way. They do get along most of the time, but it's almost a daily occurrence now. Our only solution so far has been to separate them, but it doesn't seem to stop anything permanently. By the look of the other posts, it looks like a very real consideration for us would be to bring our little babes to a behaviorist. Does anybody have any good recommendations for behaviorist in MN or have a website to locate one? Thanks.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
corgis are well known to have same sex (and opposite sex) dog agression, they are a "big" dog in a short body bred to heard cattle! they HAVE to be hard headed and stubborn to do their job and this often turns into agression towards other dogs, especially when the corgies try to heard the other dog, the other dog says no and the corgi is not going to take no for an answer.

i do NOT suggest using cesar milans methods, more people have been injured trying to recreate the methods they see on his show than i care to pull the reports for...leash popping and alpha rolling are outdated methods that most self respecting behaviourist and trainers feel are barbaric and stupid...

unfortunatly with true dog agression theres no real cure.
neutering COULD help (and shouldnt change his personality simply calm his testosterone flares) however if its true dog agression (not dominance) it wont do much.

positive reinforcment training, training focus on YOU and learning to control your dog are the best options. unfortunatly seperating might be your best option.

Victoria Stidwell is a much better 'tv trainer' so id suggest doing a youtube and animal planet search for its me or the dog, and i do think a vist with a behaviourst would be in order.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 11,860 times
My Pembroke is also agressive. He started out just being food agressive, now he is just agressive towards other dogs. He was fixed at an appropriate age, is a mellow dog, loves people and children as well and we need help as well. I have seen Caesar Milan's segment wit the agressive shepard, but have not tried it yet, as this is the first time he has bitten another dog unprovoked.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,909 times
We had a large Pembrokeshire Corgi who was very aggressive, particularly later in life (he lived to 19 years). He was territorial and once savaged a Rotweiler who dared to come onto our driveway! He was never neutered and probably should have been.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,665,407 times
We have a Corgi mix who is also aggressive but only to people, not other dogs. Kinda sucks as he will never stop barking at visitors, even if they stay for a week at a time. We also can't get him fixed (not sure it would help) because of a stage 5 heart murmur, where any anesthesia might kill him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs