Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 10,686 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Last week I adopted a 4-year-old female corgi named Maddie from one of my work friends. She had just had a baby and Maddie had gotten over protective around the baby (especially with their other dog). My parents also have a corgi and have told me they don't really like to socialize and tend to be aggressive.
Anyways, tonight I tried for the first time to take Maddie over to my boyfriend's house. His roommate has a puggle that we all love named Coors. Coors is about 4 as well, female, and pretty hyper. I had Maddie on a leash and we tried to let them sniff. They ended up barking, growling, and I think trying to bite and we had to break it up. I'm pretty sure Maddie was the culprit. I tried to keep a hold on her and let Coors sniff her but Maddie kept growling and baring her teeth.
I live alone and work all day so I really don't want to leave Maddie home alone if I go to my boyfriends but I don't want her to attack Coors either. I don't necessarily need them to play but I need Maddie to at least ignore Coors rather than attack her while I'm over there. Any advice?
I really really love Maddie in the week I've had her. She is so sweet with me and extremely well trained. I really enjoy her company and love but I also don't want to be stuck in my house with everyone coming over here all the time either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated especially from you corgi lovers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:55 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,799,958 times
First of all, aggression toward other dogs is a trait of YOUR dog and not all Corgis. Ours loved to play with all kinds of other dogs. The difference may be that Maddie was not socialized with other dogs as a puppy.

Also, having dogs meet outside in neutral area (park etc) is a much better plan than in either of their homes. They tend to be more protective and intolerant of other dogs when on their home turf. I'd suggest letting these dogs become familiar with each other by walking them together a couple times. After they can do that calmly (pretty much ignore each other) then try dropping both leashes (in a fenced area of course) and let them introduce themselves. Introducing dogs when they are pullling on a leash toward each other and making eye contact increases the chances for aggression.

Of course, if it's an option you should work with a reputable trainer who uses positive reinforcement to help Maddie become comfortable socializing with other dogs. It will make her life and yours much better!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Socializing a 4 year old dog is going to be quite difficult. There's only a small window of opportunity when the dog is a puppy for that. GO VERY SLOWLY. Give rewards for GOOD BEHAVIOR and DO NOT PUNISH for bad behavior. For bad behavior just take her out of the situation.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times
Group training classes! It worked wonders for my Beesley

If you find a good trainer (mine was the BEST), they spend a good amount of time each class just socializing the dogs and nothing else. After just a few minutes, my dog was 1,000 times more calm around other dogs. In the following weeks, he could not WAIT to play with everyone in class. His tail would go NUTS until I took him off his leash!

Petsmart has 8 week classes for $108. I know it's Petsmart, but you can't beat that price. It's worth a shot!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,895 times
Corgis are sweethearts. They can be tough .
I have known 8 Corgi's all different owners. The boys were laid back, but the females liked the thrown.
Socialization is KEY. That goes for all dogs.

Good Luck

Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,830 times
My wonderful 3 year old corgi is very food agressive with other dogs! He was agressive with a little puppy when he perceived there was good. Any ideas? We need help!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,959 times
I had a part Corgi at one time and yes they are little buggers at times. I agree with MAtheBanker about the petsmart classes. Ours here is wonderful whenever I go into petsmart<and it seems like I spend my life there anymore>there is always one or two trainers working with the training and socialization. I have stopped and watched several times and they are very patient and seem to know just what they are doing. It is well worth looking into. Also it has been my experience if you can introduce the corgi to a laid back calm dog and let them socialize it does alleviate the anti social behavior of your corgi. If the corgi is in the company of another hyper anti social doggie it makes the situation worse.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM

86 posts, read 295,148 times
I have a 2 year old corgi and he was initially agressive when we first got him as a puppy. We went through training class and watching endless Cesar Milan to finally get the aggresiveness out of him. The funny this is that the thing that disciplined him the most was our big excersize ball. He was terrified of that thing and even just the sound of it bouncing. So when he'd act up we'd just bring out the ball and he'd immediately stop.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:11 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Some aggression could be fear! Learn the difference so you can train accordingly! DONT hold her that just reenforces her fear &/or protectiveness. Seek help of trainer, They know dogs & can introduce your dogs to others in a Safe way!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,714 times
Default it can be done but it takes work

I'm reposting this video (posted separately earlier today) to show how this one dog changed with training. GOOD LUCK!

Maybe you could contact the creator of this clip for some been-there-done-that advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m6IR...layer_embedded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs