Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:32 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times

Advertisements

I must say the earlier you start the better it is. But as it was mentioned, any dog can be trained. I found puppies to be easier motivated, they are curious about everything and everyone around them. They don't generally have fear of unknown as they've not experienced "bad" things per say. So, using their curiousity and energy, positivley reinforcing their "mistakes" can lead to a well trained and a happy adult dog. But training should never stop, it is a lifetime commitment and must be followed and repeated through life of the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:32 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I
Now a dog who lived a domestic life - as it seems your Bichon had before you - might be tougher since there may be the bad habits to break.

It sounds like Snowy is fairly well-behaved though, isn't he? He's not doing anything crazy like peeing on the sofa or anything, right?
He is easily distracted. He doesn't come when called unless he smells food.

He knows sit, down, "Off", and shake (shake paws).

No peeing on the sofa but I get nervous when he goes in the dining room since we got a new oriental rug and dining room set.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
He is easily distracted. He doesn't come when called unless he smells food.

He knows sit, down, "Off", and shake (shake paws).

No peeing on the sofa but I get nervous when he goes in the dining room since we got a new oriental rug and dining room set.
When you enroll him in training classes, he'll learn to come when called, he sounds very trainable .

The new rug is a concern since it's "new", and sometimes "new" seems like a perfectly good place to pee.... The best thing is probably to show him that it's part of the house - "we sit here, we lie down here, we play here" - that kind of thing; spend some time on the rug with him and he'll identify it as a part of your 'den'.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Default a Bichon

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Is it easier to train a puppy, adult or adolescent dog?

I was just curious. I am waiting on training classes that don't commence until the 2nd week of January. We just got a 1 year old Bichon Rescue (if you don't know by now).
They love all, and will follow, and, do the heel, sit, down, and I do throw in the Bengi down. Mostly let it be fun. A terrier is one other story! Think, it takes us how many years to go to school etc., make it fun. You may also go and get a book, and read. each breed is different, you also need to know the dog. Also since it is a rescue, do the training on what is best for the dog. The Bichon, is Sweet, Kind, and Gentle. You then may go home and
train, for your needs. Also do not be harsh with a Bichon, more so, a rescue.

They are great-enjoy! A Bichon loves the belly rub! Walk the dog, let the dog, meet, and feel safe other people, and dogs. That really helps-
If you need to go out have the dog, with you, go to pet co, etc., let the dog
know it is fine-the best is to meet people, people. to train a Bichon-potty is hard-the rest easy! Merry Christmas! If you have an akc school near you, that would be real fun for you, and the dog. Check this out on the Bichon akc dog web site. Also do not force a Bichon,
who is young-and a rescue to be fearfull-You need it to be happy! You also can start now. Crate the dog, walk the dog, and bring the dog out-and also to go in the car! My Bichon gave me the look, I did need the heart of silver, she had the heart of gold? Yes she was so correct. A Bichon, has the love with the heart. School may be fun, be caution with a chain collar, for a Bichon-and a rescue.You know the dog. Follow your heart, with the Bichon! We are silver, the Bichon Gold! The dog training is just sit, stay? down, and a long down.
and then to do the 8 figure. It is nothing special. My dogs did this, then, anyway it was fun. My Bichon now is at Rainbow Bridge-I saw a bangle gold is the heart-her, me ,the silver-with the hope one tiny pink stone- for the love of a Bichon! I was well taught, how to love
a Bichon, and to learn. No Contest! Treats were another issue, why, good, and the treats. sometimes- carrots etc. Well trained by the Bichon Frise-She did learn at school, how to train her owner? Well at age 14 plus! why not-

Last edited by maggiekate; 12-06-2007 at 07:13 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 PM

A Bichon does teach you! The dog is still a baby! a Bichon will always be one.

They do the Blitz, when happy, and, you never train the Bichon, they may, pretend?

Please, on this dog do not do a chain collar-teach at home, for now, till school, a Bichon is love.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Default puppy

Quote:
When you enroll him in training classes, he'll learn to come when called, he sounds very trainable .

The new rug is a concern since it's "new", and sometimes "new" seems like a perfectly good place to pee.... The best thing is probably to show him that it's part of the house - "we sit here, we lie down here, we play here" - that kind of thing; spend some time on the rug with him and he'll identify it as a part of your 'den'.
they have for a puppy guy, a band, so it does not hurt your carpet. I think it is a belly band, the rescue shoud be able to give you this information. anyway they also should have told you this. That problem may be solved with the puppy band for a guy dog. Keep the faith! Oh, the call, I was just now tossing bones, tiny ones for the terrier, she did run, did leave, and had fun.
try to do this for your puppy. check out bands also.the rescue bichon people should help you also.rugs, sometime a Bichon
does thow up yellow vile, they, are just so happy, be aware of this. training, will not make a puppy come when asked! there are way more happy puppy doings! a Bichon will be off to the best friend of the hour. to be trained, me, a Bichon, and to come? No dog school will train me! It is true. Love somewhat has the Bichon heart, with trust-do not do treats. dry food. maybe. I bet this Bichon, is somehow training you,doing my Happy Bichon training! That job is what they are for to love, and Blitz with joy, and love and Happiness!

A Bichon Frise!

Last edited by maggiekate; 12-06-2007 at 09:48 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 08:08 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
They're also called weenie wraps, the idea is that the dog doesnt like the wet feeling against his skin and will think twice before marking (put a san. pad between his skin and the weenie wrap/belly band). Would also crate him and take it off o/nite b/c it's not good for it to stay wet on him, it can lead to urine burns, infections etc. Havent used them as I have females but have heard good things about them.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
I never heard of a weenie wrap! You really do learn something strange and unusual every day !

It sounds like Snowy has not yet offended on the new rug, there's just concern that he might, is that correct, Titanium? So maybe keep the weenie wrap in mind just in case, but maybe he'll never pee on the rug? If he isn't peeing in other locations in the house, I would not worry too much.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:32 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
Quote:
I never heard of a weenie wrap! You really do learn something strange and unusual every day !

It sounds like Snowy has not yet offended on the new rug, there's just concern that he might, is that correct, Titanium? So maybe keep the weenie wrap in mind just in case, but maybe he'll never pee on the rug? If he isn't peeing in other locations in the house, I would not worry too much.
No peeing on that rug. No chewing on it either.

He has pooped on the ceramic tile once in there.

I don't trust him under the dining room table since he may chew on the furniture.

I don't want to try the weenie wrapper. It sounds too odd. I don't want him to get a urethral or kidney infection.
--
He marks territory outside (almost every vertical non-moving object in the 'hood) but nothing that I notice in the house.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,835 times
Have you thought about trying a Training collar. We have Great Danes, Our Vet. recommended we buy a training collar for the male. So we ended up buying 2 training collars and they work wonders. Duke (a huge puppy) started chewing on everything, he would never listen, and peeing on the floor must have been fun for him.. And trust me we tried everything and nothing worked with Duke, but this collar works great .. you don't even have to use the shock button, we just use the beep button once and he automatically stops and he goes to his blanket and lays right down now. He doesn't chew on anything anymore because he knows he will get beeped, he now chews on his toys or bones. And of course puppies can get very rowdy and playful at times and he knows If he gets too rowdy in the house, just one beep is all it takes. Sadie (the female) she is just the happy tail, she makes thing go flying across the room with her tail, we just had her tail amputated and looks like were going have to go shorter because she still whacks her tail up against stuff and it sprays blood everywhere.. yikes).. when you walk her on a leash she was pulling us all the time, but not anymore. There is also Bark collars they work good too, specially if you have a talkative dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs