Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 PM

13,176 posts, read 21,255,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im trying to find anything in the article or on the canine companions website that says this dog is NOT a task trained service dog...

im looking at the veterans dog page and while they call them "assistance dogs" from what im reading and seeing they are actually task trained, the only ones that arnt are facility dogs (which act more like therapy dogs)

a dog trained to pull a chair, help with balance, retrieve items, flip switches ect are TASK trained.

nothing in the article or on the canine companions website says this dog is NOT a task trained service dog...unless your assuming the use of the word "companion" or "assistance"
Some of the animals are trained a "companions" and some of those "companions" are legitimate Service Dogs under ADA. However, the main function of these "companion" animals is to provide the snuggle factor first with task training secondary. It is a bit confusing because the assistive animals are actually service anaimals and the companion animals may be a service animal.

On the veterans page, go down a bit where it talks about the types of animals provided to vetereans. Although they highlight the assistive anaimals on that page, they do not limit veterans to only those types and will (based on applicationa nd need) provide companion animals. I understood it to be that the photograph and description of the dog alone was the official photo and description of the animal.

I guess this is going to be one of those cases where we may never know because the value of the story has been achieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,467,636 times
Canine Companions provide dogs for PTSD too.

Quote:
Nico served the United States Marine Corps for 14 years. After he returned from his second Iraq deployment in 2007, Nico was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

Veteran Stories - Canine Companions for Independence
While there isn't a veteran story about Yancy Baer on that page, he is their new poster man on this page.

Veterans - Canine Companions for Independence

He is a spokesman for this organization. That's why he was in Houston.

It seems too Rosa Parks to me. I'm not saying that what Rosa Parks did wasn't needed, but it was very planned to raise awareness.

The facebook pages about this incident are talking a lot about PTSD and comments are too.

I'm going to remain skeptical until there's more definitive information.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 PM

13,176 posts, read 21,255,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Nobody can know it's a post war trauma by looking at someone with a companion/therapy dog. I'm not being cold. I'm pointing out that there is a huge prejudice in the ADA world on this issue. Some of these people here who have service dogs have strongly opposed companion/therapy dogs from having/wanting the same rights as their service dogs. Opinions shouldn't easily change because a veteran had a problem. It's not like veterans walk around with a sign saying they're veterans. And are they really more deserving than other people who have PTSD?
Truth is, it doesn't matter what the facts or reality is, the 'oh my god' shock factor is the actual story. It's like the story of that lady at the hospital who was told to take her Service Animal and leave. The initial 'oh my god' factor was outrage over the hospital kicking out some poor handicap person and her Service Dog. Of course now we hear nothing because the handler was at fault and the hospital was well within it's right to kick them out. In that case I think only one person on CD even caught the loose dog comment and now we find out they kept taking the dog off leash in the room despite being told not to do that. The initial shock value is now replaced by facts so you hear nothing.

This topic is not about service, companion, therapy, emptional support or any discussion over legitimate or not; this is about the 'oh my god' factor based on a one sided article.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM

482 posts, read 879,294 times
Rabrrita,

I would give any of our wounded soldiers(physically, mentally, or both) the world if I could. Since I can't, I donate puppies to be trained as service and or therapy dogs for our wounded warriors. I'm sad that not everyone feels the same way I do. Coming from an extremely long line of service men and women I want to make sure they always know I think they hung the moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs