Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:52 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,925 times

Advertisements

Passing this along......

Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. Moderator cut: link provided

https://www.familydogcenter.com/Docs/rasins.doc (broken link)

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-26-2007 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 04:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
I have info like this on my website and alot had no clue about it. Good advice and if more pass it on the better.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,382 times
Thanks I will print it out. My husband gave his dogs grapes a couple of times and I don't them they could hurt her. He thinks it ok.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,925 times
I was informed that due to ownership issues that this article will be taken down soon.

I suggest copying the text and forwarding it to as many people as possible.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:03 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
How many are toxic?

I had been giving our dog a frozen piece of bread occasionally as a treat, and without thinking about it, yesterday I gave her a couple of pieces of cinnamon raisin bread. My wife saw her finishing up the bread, then reminded me about the raisins. So I totally freaked out and started looking up info on the net. There isn't a ton of info, and some of it is quiet contradictory. The websites I ran across that gave specific guidelines as to what might be toxic suggested that around 4 ounces would be concerning for my dog's size. The bread couldn't have had more than about 8-10 raisins per slice, so Nikki probably had at the most half an ounce, but probably less than that. It has been well over 12 hours and she is eating and drinking very normal. Should I still be worried? Or just keep a close watch on her for any potential symptoms arising?

I didn't sleep to well last night as I felt so horribly irresponsible. I knew raisins were not good for dogs, but it just slipped my mind with it being IN the bread. I really hope Nikki is totally okay. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
How many are toxic?

I had been giving our dog a frozen piece of bread occasionally as a treat, and without thinking about it, yesterday I gave her a couple of pieces of cinnamon raisin bread. My wife saw her finishing up the bread, then reminded me about the raisins. So I totally freaked out and started looking up info on the net. There isn't a ton of info, and some of it is quiet contradictory. The websites I ran across that gave specific guidelines as to what might be toxic suggested that around 4 ounces would be concerning for my dog's size. The bread couldn't have had more than about 8-10 raisins per slice, so Nikki probably had at the most half an ounce, but probably less than that. It has been well over 12 hours and she is eating and drinking very normal. Should I still be worried? Or just keep a close watch on her for any potential symptoms arising?

I didn't sleep to well last night as I felt so horribly irresponsible. I knew raisins were not good for dogs, but it just slipped my mind with it being IN the bread. I really hope Nikki is totally okay. Any input would be appreciated.
Supposedly cinnamon is also a no-no for dogs.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
I made the long drive home for lunch today to check on her and make sure all is well. She is acting 100% normal and eating and drinking as normal. Its been over 18 hours now, so I think she is going to be fine, although I'll keep a close watch for another day or 2 to be safe.

No more cinn/raisin bread for hear!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Here is an article that I wrote about this. No ownership issues here.

Raisin & Grape Toxicity

Is your dog a chow hound? Mine sure is! One of her favorite treats is raisins.

In the last few years there has been much concern over raisin & grape poisoning in dogs. There are many inconsistencies in the numbers emerging from the research into this dangerous situation. Largely, those inconsistencies involve the amount of raisins or grapes that a dog can ingest before poisoning occurs. As little as 7 or up to 1 ounce per 2.2 pounds of body weight and the research continues to refine these numbers.

Clinical symptoms of raisin/grape poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy, and abdominal pain. Onset of symptoms generally begins to appear within a few hours of ingestion. It is very important to seek veterinary care immediately if you suspect this type of poisoning, as renal failure (kidney failure) begins as quickly as 24 hours from ingestion.

Typically, chunks of the raisin or grape will be visible in the vomit or diarrhea. It is suggested to induce vomiting if you see this. 2 teaspoons of Hydrogen Peroxide administered orally will induce vomiting.

Your vet will aggressively treat this with any combination of: continued induced vomiting, gastric lavage (stomach pumping), orally introduced activated charcoal, and IV fluids.

Knowing all of this, should you panic if Fifi or Fido steals a raisin or grape that you have dropped on the floor? No, you should not. If, however, your dog eats a few please seek veterinary attention immediately.

My dog, much to her dismay, only gets 1 carob covered raisin every 3 days.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
Wow I had been offering cinnamon raisin bread to my dog and he refused! Smart dog

Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 PM

181 posts, read 1,076,749 times
I don't think cinnamon is bad. I have a recipe book which is dog friendly, and cinnamon is used in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs