Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 AM

394 posts, read 2,004,184 times

Advertisements

Wow, our 4 year old has given one of our dogs raisins from time to time, I had no idea they could be unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,636,056 times
I think its one of those things were some dogs are far more sensitive than others and there is really no way to know, so try to avoid letting them have any. There are far too many healthy treats that are tasty for them. I would also make sure not to leave any raisins or grapes out where they could get to them at all.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
Wow, our 4 year old has given one of our dogs raisins from time to time, I had no idea they could be unhealthy.

Add chocolate -- most especially Coco, to the list. (Call me paranoid, but I won't let my dog near the kitchen when I'm making a cake with Coco because the powder tends to "poof' the air. )

Albeit rarely, we used to give our dogs grapes because of the way they played with, and wondered just what the heck it was as they rolled them about. Good thing they wouldn't eat them! Now we're extremely careful about them rolling off countertops onto the floor (very easy to happen.)

Old 12-04-2007, 11:50 AM

164 posts, read 517,004 times
Question Never heard of this before!

I knew about not giving cats or dogs onions, but I'd never heard about raisins/grapes! I know there's a large amount of house plants that can cause problems. Is there a reliable list somewhere of all the food items that are poisonous to dogs and cats?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,247,938 times
Here is a link with some info on foods toxic to pets Home-Human Foods that Poison Pets

Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 AM

825 posts, read 2,821,313 times
Thumbs up Updated link....

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Passing this along......

Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. Moderator cut: link provided

https://www.familydogcenter.com/Docs/rasins.doc (broken link) (broken link)
Updated link with similar information.

ASPCA: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Issues Nationwide Update: Raisins and Grapes Can Be Toxic To Dogs

Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 AM

288 posts, read 918,400 times
I first heard about grapes being toxic AFTER years of feeding them to Noodle. Whenever I ate grapes, he did, too. He's about 11 pounds and would easily eat a handful of grapes at a time. Never had any problems. I did stop giving them to him after reading the article, but he has never forgotten the "good ole' days" when I used to share with him....so now I cannot eat grapes in my own home.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
I did stop giving them to him after reading the article, but he has never forgotten the "good ole' days" when I used to share with him....so now I cannot eat grapes in my own home.
HAHAHAHA!!! I'd be like that too -- I'd feel so bad eating them in front of my dog, so I wouldn't eat them anymore either.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,536,258 times
ground Cinnamon is fine for dogs only the spice not the sticks and only little as dog treats call for.

Onions
Garlic
Grapes
Rasins
Chocolate (any kind)
Mold
plums, apricots, apple seeds
Yeast
Caffeine
Sweetner of any kind
Avocado

Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,558,628 times
I read this awhile ago, but was surprised to find in my copy of Petfinder's Adopted Dog Bible that these, too are considered toxic to dogs:

Alcohol, Avocados, Chocolate, Coffee, Garlic, Macadamia nuts, onions and onion powder, salt, yeast dough, xylitol, and anything moldy or spoiled.

Many, especially the last is a given, even if dogs will scavange the trash, but the garlic really surprised me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs